Sponsored by:

living with a CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default living with a CGT?

I'm looking at a CGT. I've only riden in one once on the track and my test drive of this car will be largely on a track as well. Once you get used to the clutch and the low front end how are they to live with if you drive them a couple of times a week? Do they overheat at slow speeds, is the ride so stiff that it moves from entertaining to unbearable after a while and so on. Any impressions after you've lived with your CGT a while would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:10 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Boulder GT3,

I find the ride quality of the Carrera GT to be similar to, if not better than, my 996TT. There is no aspect of the car that becomes a disappointment after getting very used to mine for more than a year.

Overheating has never been an issue. The car seems mechanically bullet-proof.

If anything, the longer one owns a CGT, the better it seems to get. Relative to other Porsche models and other makes of sports car, I still can't think of any I'd rather own.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by W8MM
Boulder GT3,

I find the ride quality of the Carrera GT to be similar to, if not better than, my 996TT. There is no aspect of the car that becomes a disappointment after getting very used to mine for more than a year.

If anything, the longer one owns a CGT, the better it seems to get. Relative to other Porsche models and other makes of sports car, I still can't think of any I'd rather own.
Thanks. Those are exactly the kind of remarks I'm curious about. Some cars, the more time with them the more you like them, sometimes the more time makes you like them less. None of that really comes through in a day on the track and street.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 04-30-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by W8MM
Boulder GT3,

I'm surprised about your ride quality comment. I think the tt is a very comfortable car. My GT3 is a great car but it definately beats the snot out of you compared to a turbo. Do you know how your CGT compares to the GT3? It must be a much more comfortable car.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:42 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Do you know how your CGT compares to the GT3? It must be a much more comfortable car.
I haven't ever had a ride in a GT3, so I don't know.

The closest car to a GT3 that has graced my garage was a '74 911RS/IROC.

The Carrera GT rides a whole lot better than the IRCO car did!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:07 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in here...I have found the CGT to be very comfortable to drive, engaging, and comfortable at both slow speeds and "giving it a little"...

The interior is comfortable, and at 5'11, I still have to move the seat forward ie. lots of leg room. Each time I take this car out, its an experience and that has yet to let up in anyway. You'll find that some of the sightlines are obstructed (by the side mirrors, and the curb while parking), but you'll get used to it.

A joyous car to drive and own...wonderfully constructed and engineered, no wavering temps or waffling idle, intuitive controls, and beautiful in its detail...

the only criticism of my ownership experience is that I waited too long to get one.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Les Quam
Pro

My CGT rides more comfortably than my GT2 by a wide margin.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

I've driven my CGT on several trips of 150 - 200 miles. I didn't experience any problems with being in the car for 2 - 3 hours at a shot. The only thing the Carrera GT is lacking is storage space. Very little can fit in the front when the tops are off, so behind the seats is about it.

Some others have found the "secret" sunglass storage compartments in the doors - but that's about all that fits there! The Carrera GT is an amazing supercar that perfectly adapts a race car for the street, along with A/C, a superb radio/media center, leather appointments, etc. There are very few, if any, comparable cars on the market.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by 1958 Convertible D
I've driven my CGT on several trips of 150 - 200 miles. I didn't experience any problems with being in the car for 2 - 3 hours at a shot. The only thing the Carrera GT is lacking is storage space. Very little can fit in the front when the tops are off, so behind the seats is about it.

Some others have found the "secret" sunglass storage compartments in the doors - but that's about all that fits there! The Carrera GT is an amazing supercar that perfectly adapts a race car for the street, along with A/C, a superb radio/media center, leather appointments, etc. There are very few, if any, comparable cars on the market.
Do you notice flex when you have the top off?

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 05-01-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Woodster
Drifting

As a passenger to above (on several longer trips), I have found the CGT to be very comfortable!!

Storage space for my big bag of money I carry around is another issue entirely...

MK
Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Question CGT comfortable?

Originally Posted by Les Quam
My CGT rides more comfortably than my GT2 by a wide margin.
Les, Sorry to disagree with you and some of the other guys but my old (2003) GT2 was more comfortable and certainly easier to live with on a daily basis than my CGT.

The CGT rides hard. You feel every ripple and division strip on the highway and I really don't think my GT2 rode that firm. Getting in and out of the CGT is a ton harder than the GT2. In fact, I have to grab hold of my left leg by my pants and pull it up over the door sill. Getting out isn't that easy either. But if I use my right arm against the windshield pillar, I can 'pop' out OK. Now I admit I'm 58, but I rcently had a couple kids visit me to take pics of my cars and they were in their 20s and still had some slight trouble getting in and out!

The seats in the CGT are no where near as comfortable as the GT2s. I even have the, I think 'XT' seats, which are supposed to be wider, but my rear end is still hugged pretty firm.

The CGTs steering seems to be a little quicker than the GT2s but the CGT does corner flatter than the GT2.

Don't get me wrong, I love my CGT and I'm not sorry I traded the GT2 on it, but I guess I'm in the minority about the CGT being a more practical daily driver. It's great to ride around in whenever but let's not forget, it is a 'race car' in 'sheep's clothing'! Michael
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magwheel
Getting in and out of the CGT is a ton harder than the GT2. In fact, I have to grab hold of my left leg by my pants and pull it up over the door sill. Getting out isn't that easy either. But if I use my right arm against the windshield pillar, I can 'pop' out OK. Now I admit I'm 58, but I recently had a couple kids visit me to take pics of my cars and they were in their 20s and still had some slight trouble getting in and out!
Michael, you're right about the ingress/egress challenge.

I'm 56 and find that the Carrera GT is the most difficult vehicle in my stable regarding getting in and out of it. When the roof halves are removed, it is much easier since I am 6'4" and have long legs that only require a body motion similar to doing a "dip" at the gym. With the tops in place, there is more leg and torso folding going on. I consider this a minor inconvenience when taken into account with all the other superlatives of the car.

Boulder GT3 asked about anything not apparent until after a longer experience with the car. I assumed he found out about ingress and egress as his first experience of all.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
DMin
Instructor

Having owned both an '04 GT3 and an '05 CGT, let me state for the record that the ride of the CGT is much more tolerable than the tooth-jarring ride of the GT3. Call me a poser if you will, but I much preferred the CGT.

As a side note, my wife much preferred the ride quality of the CGT to the GT3 as well, but that still didn't keep her from kicking the CGT out of the family
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Keep in mind the CGT has three suspension setting. Typically from the factory it is set at the race setting. I drove two different CGT's one with the race setting and the other with the middle setting. The middle setting was more compliant. The third would be even more so.

I found the ride of the GT3 very similar to the middle setting in the CGT.

It is a street legal race car and designed for the track and sits very low. As a result, it will have its frequent front end scrapes. However, Porsche also offers a kit to raise the front end but is pricey around $13,000.

You need to ask yourself what is the reason why I want a CGT. It really is not a car to cruise around in.

BTW, DMin you have a very smart wife.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

[QUOTE=Nick]
You need to ask yourself what is the reason why I want a CGT. It really is not a car to cruise around in.

QUOTE]

I wouldn't say cruise around in is what I'm looking for but I do want to take the 200 mile drive to Aspen from Boulder without my eardrums bleeding, the car puking, excessive cockpit heat and some of the stuff you seem to figure out after the delirium of the test wears of. I really appreciate all the comments and opinions.

Quick Reply: living with a CGT?