Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster Upsolute ECU chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM
portnerr
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster Upsolute ECU chip

Has anyone installed a Upsolute ECU chip in their car. How did it work? any problems with it. They claim a 20 HP bump, and higher torque. Sound like a good deal if it works and is reliable.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:05 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

You can not get that kind of power just by a chip alone. That kind of gain is posible but you need a high flow intake and headers to get any kind of real power gain. A chip alone might get you 5-10, if I remember correctly.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:25 PM
portnerr
2nd Gear

That is what they claim. My bigger concern is that the car will still operate correctly with the new chip. Have you ever chipped your car?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Yes but it really PMO when I do. I try to avoid it as much as possible.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:05 AM
doclaw64
Intermediate

What they claim and what actually happens can be 2 different things. Ask for a dyno chart. I have not had it done, but want to do the chip intake and headers.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that rear wheel gain of Flywheel gain?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally posted by portnerr
That is what they claim. My bigger concern is that the car will still operate correctly with the new chip. Have you ever chipped your car?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally posted by Turboflyer
Yes but it really PMO when I do. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

[Yup, it's a duplicate 'cause I hit the wrong quote button and forgot to preview.]
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

Default ECU reprogramming

I have the auto thority chip in my car. Keep in mind when I say chip what I actually mean is that they have to reprogram the entire ecu of the car. This usally involves sending the brain to some location.

With my chip ('97 box) I have gotten some increased mid-range and the rev limiter has been increased by 400 RPM. Claimed is 15-18 HP but I would guess more like around 5 or so. I also have the Evo Cold-air intake---sounds great.

I've had 0 problems with the chip....more with the intake. The factory "over oil" from the filter would fry my MAF sensor so I had to replace that twice. Fixed the problem by degreasing the filter with paper towels and a vacuum. Now the car runs perfect!

I would recommend both upgrades, although they can be quite expensive. If you haven't bought the car yet, just get the S. If I would do it over again that's what I'd do.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Mik
Track Day

I would recommend Powerchip. They reprogram your ECU and provide different programs with the most power coming from their Gold93 program.

Torque gain: 20 to 21 ft Lb through 3500-5500rpm
Horse Power Gain: 22hp @ 6000rpm

With an EVO high flow intake, Powerchip reprogrammed ECU and 94 octane fuel I'm running just under 285hp (dependant on external temperature).

Car feels way faster and crisp than a 993 C2S (which I drive quite often)!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Mik,

No offense, but I highly doubt those hp claims. With a modified Boxster S including ECU reprogram by Gunther, headers, evo intake, and sports exhaust I put down 247 hp to the rear wheels. Were you talking rear wheel hp or crank horsepower? If you are talking crank, then you are talking "estimated" crank horsepower unless you pulled your engine out of your car. My estimated crank hp was 290, but again that's an estimate so I quote the actual rear wheel hp, which was 247.

BTW, the car was faster than most C2's at the track, both 993 and 996 varieties...
Old 03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
PetreTG
Track Day

Default Re: ECU reprogramming

Originally posted by ferraristyle
I have the auto thority chip in my car. Keep in mind when I say chip what I actually mean is that they have to reprogram the entire ecu of the car. This usally involves sending the brain to some location.

With my chip ('97 box) I have gotten some increased mid-range and the rev limiter has been increased by 400 RPM. Claimed is 15-18 HP but I would guess more like around 5 or so. I also have the Evo Cold-air intake---sounds great.

I've had 0 problems with the chip....more with the intake. The factory "over oil" from the filter would fry my MAF sensor so I had to replace that twice. Fixed the problem by degreasing the filter with paper towels and a vacuum. Now the car runs perfect!

I would recommend both upgrades, although they can be quite expensive. If you haven't bought the car yet, just get the S. If I would do it over again that's what I'd do.
Are these numbers confirmed by Dyno or just seat of the pants optomistic speculation ?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Mik
Track Day

Yes Ghost Rider, you are right - these are estimated at the crank not at the RW. They were taken against a dyno baseline when the car was stock.

Interesting fact:
I should mention that Porsche claims 252hp at the crank for pre 2003 986S's. However according to Ruf the 3.2, 3.4 and the 3.6 engines vary vastly in power output (5% in some cases) and hardly produce the claimed numbers.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:01 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ferraristyle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not dynoed the car so these numbers are just a guess. Manufacturer claims 15-18 on the chip and 8-10 on the intake. In theory that would give you 23 to 28HP. My real feelings are it is 5 HP at the wheels at best, and that is being optomistic.

Car definaltely sounds 100% better though and I do get increased midrange pull then without the chip.

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster Upsolute ECU chip