Sponsored by:

SP Super Sport Race vs Kumho VictoRacer V700

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 PM
TrackMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP Super Sport Race vs Kumho VictoRacer V700

Just wanted some opinions on the differences between these two reasonably priced R Compound track tires. I know that they are not available in the same sizes, but I have several sets of rims to play with. Wanted a comparison of grip, longevity, how quickly they come to temperature, etc. Have used Kumho's in the past and am thnking of trying the Dunlops.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, being that I've used BOTH, I'll give comment on this.

I currently pillage the streets of Virginia Beach on a set of Dunlop Super Sport Race tires, as I am on the Dunlop "test program" through Sasco, located at VIR, a deal made through NASA Va. I LOVE these tires for street driving!!

I've also used them for a total of 3 track days, one at VIR South, a couple at VIR Full...they're not bad, considering they're perfect to drive up on, run the track and drive home...while the "stickiness" blows away most any street tire, it falls short of what any dedicated track tire could provide.

I tooled around with a friend that has a 964, similar to mine, track-prepped and wearing RA-1s - it seemed a good matchup, but he could ride the turns a bit harder...while my Dunlops were SCREEEEEEAMING on the edge.

Now I don't particularly like Kumhos, trying both the ECSTA V700 and they're predecessor (nomenclature escapes me at the moment) over the years, the V700s when they first came available...from what I understand the V700s have been improved since they're introduction??

The Kumhos gripped better, but I didn't like how sloppy they felt.

I really enjoy the Dunlops on the street, and am about to try an autocross on them next weekend...so we'll see. At the track, they're acceptable, considering that they were made for exactly what I've used them for.

FWIW, I have FULL race suspension with 600lb+ springs and HUGE swaybars, so those Dunlops are doing everything they can to "hold onto" the car when I'm feeling spirited.

As for tire wear, I can see that they will last maybe two more events or another six months of street/spirited driving - which isn't bad in my book, but I'm sure that would HORRIFY others!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:55 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Any other experience or comparison to MPSC's. They are less for a set of 4 than for fronts only in MPSC's!!!

MIke
Old 09-08-2004, 10:32 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPSC's have amazing grip. Talk to some of the guys on the GT3 board if you really want a comparison, as i have not tried the dunlops. i am however, very interested in them as a MUCH cheaper alternative to the MPSC's. i will definately be following this thread and others related to it. The MPSC's take longer to heat up, and don't last very long because the tread is shaved down pretty far, but once they heat up, there really is nothing better in terms of sheer grip and control/steering response. The MPSC's are truly AWESOME tires, but they come with a price to match. For Auto-X, they are mediocre because of the time they take to heat up. I have no experience with the dunlops, and as i most likely have a differenty guage and scale from others who have tried the dunlops, my advice is to find someone on the GT3 board or the 996 board who have tried both,. i am pretty sure i've seen a comparison between the two on there at least once, perhaps a while back. anyways, good luck, i'll be watching to see if it would be worth trying the dunlops

Quick Reply: SP Super Sport Race vs Kumho VictoRacer V700