Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you experience lag or delay?
Yes, I have a experienced lag or delay problems!
71.72%
No, I am damned lucky!
22.22%
Yes and it was fixed (please tell us how!!!)
6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the C V6 included in this lag poll ?

If yes, I don't have any lag what so ever.
I guess I'm one the lucky ones...

John Gazivoda.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Control It
Instructor

Did not consider it when I made the poll...but glad you don;t have the lag. it sucks!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Our '04 S has the 3.1 DME upgrade since last week.
The engine reacts faster when you hit the accelerator when exiting a corner.
It also runs a lot smoother on idle and you hardly hear or feel that the engine is running.
The acceleration is slightly improved, mainly because the engine reacts much sooner to the input of the accelerator.
Maureen and I are very happy with the new mapping.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
bancu
Racer

Gert,

Was this an DME only update? I wondering if you've noticed any changes in the shifting behavior too?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Curtis
3rd Gear

Yes, very bad lag/hesitation. the car has been a nightmare. I've met with PCNA's rep several times over the past 6 months. Re-mapping over and over - doesn't help.

Last edited by Curtis; 09-15-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Curtis
3rd Gear

Hoehn's actually Ok, - I'm just really frustrated with the Lag problem - PCNA needs to solve the problem, I guess, until then the Dealer's hands are somewhat tied
Old 09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Control It
Instructor

After having an Audi Allroad with the exact same problem, I hate to say it but I do not feel this problem will ever be fixed...WHat do I know? Nothing more than any of you but my gut just tells me...and somedays I want to shoot this dog of a truck....other days we have fun.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:09 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Dealer's hands are somewhat tied

Originally Posted by Curtis
Hoehn's actually Ok, - I'm just really frustrated with the Lag problem - PCNA needs to solve the problem, I guess, until then the Dealer's hands are somewhat tied
I agree with you the dealers hands being tied. I also think PCNAs are too untill Porsche AG does something.

Since you've meet with the PCNA rep several times, have you considered reporting it as a safety issue to the NHTSA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain
Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Aren't they going to have a hard time not fixing the hesitation issue now?

Originally Posted by controlit
After having an Audi Allroad with the exact same problem, I hate to say it but I do not feel this problem will ever be fixed...WHat do I know? Nothing more than any of you but my gut just tells me...and somedays I want to shoot this dog of a truck....other days we have fun.
One of the things they're touting is "changed accelerator pedal characteristics" in the Power Kit press release. This seems to be a step in the right direction for us. Other than a TSB that noted certain DME updates wouldn't do anything to address customers "performance" concerns; I think this is the first time that Porsche has put something in writing related to the throttle pedal response. I don't know if we can translate that into Porsche admitting that there's hesitation/dead pedal issue but at the least they're saying (publicly) that they can do better.

I also feel that the Powerkit cuts off several blocking phrases (PSM, e-gas, SUV, it's designed for off-road, they can't let you have all that power at once, etc.) that dealers use to dismiss owner concerns about the hesitation/dead pedal issue.

Assuming the accelerator enhancements of the Powerkit are step forward, it also seems to put to bed excuses that Porsche can't do anything to address the hesitation issue because:

- fuel consumption will change
- emissions issues / recertification would be costly
- the transmission can't handle the torque
- there were transmission production changes

If Porsche can apply "changed accelerator pedal characteristics" to make more money, they can do it to make our vehicles as safe as they should have been from day one and as other 'in class' SUVs.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bancu
Gert,

Was this an DME only update? I wondering if you've noticed any changes in the shifting behavior too?

Thanks.
Only the DME got updated.
I have the feeling that the shifting is improved.
Mainly because the engine is picking up faster, the Tip has less time to look for the right gear.
Still, the Tip control unit could still be improved.
Especially on the highway when accelerating at higher speeds, the Tip tranny shifts to a gear that is too low and almost redlines the engine.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Looking for the right gear

You had me chuckling about the Tip having less time "to look for the right gear".

Well said on the tranny shifting into too low of a gear sometimes. I don't think I ever described this correctly. This lack of refined roll on of power is the main reason that I feel that this issue is really worse with a CT.

I've focused on 'the low gear' as a non linear throttle. You press the throttle a bit to make your move, it doesn't do what you expect, you press more and you're off to the races and crawling up someone's tail pipes. I guess I was too busy jamming on the breaks to notice that the transmission was kicking down to low.

Thanks again Gert.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Control It
Instructor

Supposedly there was a recall on certain Cayennes (I believe 05's)..The recall number is WS 515 and it seems to call to have the Tip module replaced. I had this preformed today...Seems better but too soon to say...as the CS was great the first two weeks I had it. But it is a promising fix....we shall see....
Old 09-27-2004, 09:18 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Have you seen the recall? Did this bulletin #, WS 515, appear on your service ticket? Was there a description on the ticket for the procedure?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Control It
Instructor

THe service invoice says "Replaced Tiptronic controlit unit with newest version as per DSM.

955-618-022-12 Trans Control Unit
37305500 Transmission Control Module Replaced

They did not have a copy of the Recall but said one will probably be mailed to me. they also mentioned there was another recall on my car WS434 (I think) but it was so new they did not know what it was!

So far, the CS seems improved but as much as I would like to proclaim it is fixed, I will need to drive it a couple of weeks in some NY traffic...

Stay tuned....
Old 10-08-2004, 07:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been nearly a week since the 05 module was fitted to my CS. During that time I have done commuting, long haul freeway and town driving, here are my impressions.

First of all the change in performance with the PSM off is quite staggering. The aggression is obvious from the D1 start all through the range. I never could get a D1 start before the change, M1 yes, apart from the cold start scenario.

With PSM on I do notice quite a change to the behavior of the transmission, it seems more inclined to change down than before in response to gas pedal imput in the 40-55 speed range. It does change down faster if you floor it than it did before, I think that response is more like my MB in that respect, but there is still a wind-up.

When floored the revs start to climb quickly but there is still a slight delay before the tranny drops a gear or 2. I think they are using revs instead of G force to change down ( I am not an expert in this but this is my engineering view) All of this happens in a fraction of a second but the delay between revs climbing and the change down is still notciable.

The main things I was concerned with were the 90 degree cornering at low speeds (45 mph into the turn 25 mph out of the turn) and the sprint response joining freeways / autobahn's etc

The S still does not change down to 2 on the corner, leaving you in a torque no-mans land with the engine fighting to respond to the gas pedal in 4 or 3 when its obvious that it should be 2.

Again I do not think the Cayenne has a G force setup to sense the condition and force the logical change. Its a heavy car without gearing help the engine cannot do it alone.

I did not experience the sprint "death" problem at all during my testing, its too early to say but it may be gone, I will let you know if it does happen.

If you have specific questions let me know.

I had DME 3.1 installed first to make the trans unit compatible with my 04/03 build.

I am pretty happy right now !

Quick Reply: Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?