993 Forum 1995-1998

A NEW Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default A NEW Tire Question...

I'm FRUSTRATED!!! I'm trying to buy replacement Michelin Pilot Sport Rib N1 tires for the rear of my 993 in a 285/30ZR-18 size. Tire Rack quoted them at $299 each but after I ordered them this morning, they called back and said they couldn't get them for me. Hmmmm?

Upon further inquiry, Tire Rack said that I had to purchase the tires from a Porsche dealership. They told me that the old system of providing the VIN to Michelin's customer service department to release the tires has been replaced by sales exclusively through the dealerships. Michelin and Tire Rack confirmed that Tire Rack sells to the dealerships who then sell to us (me in this case). I called my local Porsche STEALERSHIP and they will mark the MPS Ribs up by 33% and sell them to me for $399 apiece. This is robbery which I refuse to participate in.

Can anyone tell me how to get a new pair of tires without paying a 33% mark up to the Porsche STEALERSHIP?

And let me thank you Rennlister Porsche MANIACS in advance for what I know will be helpful and informative information.

Regards,

Scott
Old 11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. The easiest thing to do would be to buy another brand and $crew Michelin.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:37 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another approach would be to find a retailer that will match Tire Rack's price. We have Discount Tire in our area and they have always been cooperative. I'm also looking at the Michelin Rib and Discount Tire was glad to match when I (recently) talked to them about it.
No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.

Jeff N
Old 11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

I like your suggestion of Discount Tire and I'll call them this morning but I fear the same issue. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You can also call a different dealer. Try Suncoast or Sunset Porsche. I typcially buy from one of these dealers and even with shipping they are significantly cheaper than the local guys.

-Skip
Old 11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by campbesl
They told me that the old system of providing the VIN to Michelin's customer service department to release the tires has been replaced by sales exclusively through the dealerships.
This really sucks. I use the Rib's as well and purchased them by providing the VIN to TireRack about 5 months ago. It worked very well. Now if the tires are marked up to $399, this would mean I would get a diff. brand, which means I'd need to get 4 new ones to match. My fronts are barely worn!

Let's hope other distributors would be able to get them at the same price. Am not so optimitic however, as TireRack is one of the, if not the biggest tire retailer.

Scott...please let us know what happens with Discount Tire and/or what you come up with. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

:
....Upon further inquiry, Tire Rack said that I had to purchase the tires from a Porsche dealership. They told me that the old system of providing the VIN to Michelin's customer service department to release the tires has been replaced by sales exclusively through the dealerships. Michelin and Tire Rack confirmed that Tire Rack sells to the dealerships who then sell to us (me in this case). I called my local Porsche STEALERSHIP and they will mark the MPS Ribs up by 33% and sell them to me for $399 apiece. This is robbery which I refuse to participate in. ...Scott

My brother was the buyer for a group of purchasers. Michelin has a very strong brand loyalty so they used this tactic to demand exclusive rights on the hipo tires. They were dropped.

My brother commented that Bridgestones S02A's were just as good.. he moved the clients over. He lost few sales apparently.

Given the above, it is not surprizing they would try this in a round about way... FWIW
Old 11-11-2004, 11:13 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
This really sucks. I use the Rib's as well and purchased them by providing the VIN to TireRack about 5 months ago. It worked very well. Now if the tires are marked up to $399, this would mean I would get a diff. brand, which means I'd need to get 4 new ones to match. My fronts are barely worn!
For $800+tax, you can almost buy a complete set of tires, another brand of course..
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Latest Update:

I don't have a Discount Tire in my immediate area. I have contacted a small tires store that is a "Michelin Associate Dealer". The story they give is similar but says I'll have to contact Michelin north America with name, address, vehicle model, VIN, etc., then they'll release ONE tire to me - not two. SURE.

I'll try that route next but Bridgestone's are starting to look pretty good!

Monique - can your connection score me some new skins? I need a fix baaaaad!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd fire Michelin, buy a full set of Bridgestone RE-750s and be done with it.

If you need more traction than that, you're either droving too damn fast for the street, or you need to get a secondhand set of OEM takeoff wheels & put R-compound rubber on them for the track.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, and be sure to email Michelin & let they know what you did, and why you did it.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

And that you'll be buying an alternate brand for your other cars in the family as well.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....Monique - can your connection score me some new skins? I need a fix baaaaad!!!!
Sorry, My brother has since moved on to bigger things.. he is now with Caterpillar

I will take his advice when my Pirellis see the cord. Will be Bridgestones S02A's for me.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:29 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Another Update:

I got on the phone AGAIN with Michelin Customer Relations (800-847-3435) and spoke to Ed who knows EVERYTHING about Michelin tires with specific expert knowledge as they relate to Porsche. (If you can't tell, I was impressed.)

Ed took down all my information, created a file on me including the VIN of my C4S then keyed it all to my phone number. He then told me that tire dealers (and he named three in my immediate area) could now get the tires through their distributor (he named two: American and Carroll) by contacting Michelin and referencing my file.

Ed explained to me why Porsche stealerships are selling tires and suggested (though he wasn't sure) that Tire Rack had signed an exclusive agreement with Porsche NA to sell Michelin tires for Porsches (N0, N1, N2) only to stealerships.

I contacted Tire Rack and referenced my salesman, Brandon, to my file at Michelin. I'm waiting to hear back if this works.

Scott
Old 11-11-2004, 04:22 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Referencing my previous post, this makes me wonder if Discount Tire will honor Tire Rack's price, but not for a N spec tire?
Will you still be able to get a competitive price with the suppliers in your area?

Let us know.....

Jeff N

Quick Reply: A NEW Tire Question...