Sponsored by:

RMS leak number 2!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Dubai911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RMS leak number 2!

Noticed oil leak in garage after track day. Pretty sure it is the dreaded RMS.
1st time it happened was also after a track day. I do push on the track, but I am sensible, what to do? No more track days? I don't think so. 1st time dealer fixed it and assured that everyhing was within tolerance. Should I start moaning for a new engine?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Should I start moaning for a new engine?

Unfortunately no one gets a new engine because of an RMS leak. At best you will get a rebuilt engine.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start with you could start displaying this.... http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rmsclubfailed2.jpg
Old 12-22-2004, 09:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it has to occur three times until you get a rebuilt motor.
BTW ,I had my car in for service on Monday at the dealer and there was a 997S with 2K miles diagnosed with a RMS, clearly this problem has not been fixed with the 3.8L either.
I don't think running your car at the track had jack to do with the RMS failure, but I wouldn't mention it though. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be the first report I have seen of a 997 with a rear seal leak. According to the parts list it uses the same seal used on the Cayenne. It will be interesting to see how this developes now that the 997s are out. I will not hold my breath for the 987.

From reading the message boards for over 5 years and talking to the mechanics I know, 3 seals was the rule of thumb. I have seen some recent reports and one of our local Boxster owners had to go through 4 seals before a replacement engine was oked. From what one of mechanics told me at my local dealer Atlanta is more interested in the numbers from when they measure the crank in 4 places to see how far off-center it is.

And my local Boxster friend Jean did get a new engine for his 2000. Finally, after the 3 rebuilts that were put in had a vibration problem.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:00 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I wonder if the general rule on 3 seals and you get a rebuilt engine has to do with states' lemon laws. Most states allow a manufacturer 3 or 4 attempts to fix a problem. If the final fix is not adequate, the buyer can compel the manufacturer to repurchase the car.

Obviously, replacing the RMS is cheaper than either putting a new (rebuilt) engine in or buying back the car. From a cost perspective, Porsche is just trying to see how cheaply they can try to fix the problem before having to replace the engine or god forbid take back a lemon. Can't blame them, but it doesn't obviate the fact that an owner of a car with repeated RMS failures is very frustrated.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tool Pants, I'll see what I can sniff out about that 997S, I was shocked too, thought they fixed the problem!

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

With Jean our lemon law did not apply because the car was 4 years old. I will have to ask the mechanics what the current rule of thumb policy is.

After the second rebuilt was put in the service advisor told Jean engine replacement number 3 would be a new one, but what Atlanta delivered was another rebuilt, and Jean was not happy. The service advisor then told Jean that Porsche no longer made new engines for a 2000 2.7 manual transmission, and that is why another rebuilt was sent. No clue if this is true or not. As I said, the 4th engine was new, but it was for a tiptronic but Peter at my dealer rewired it for a manual transmission car.

At some point Porsche is going to stop making new engines for the older cars if they have not already done so. I have always thought Porsche reserved the new engines for the newer cars. If your 3 month old car needed a replacement engine and your dealer told you you were going to get a rebuilt, you would not be happy. But if your car is a few years old.....
Old 12-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Tool Pants, I'll see what I can sniff out about that 997S, I was shocked too, thought they fixed the problem!
If the 997 is still at your dealer write down the VIN and PM it to me. I will see if I can get someone to run it throught the computer to see what warranty work was done.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Porsche is sitting on top of a potential powder keg and all that is needed is the spark of a class action lawsuit to set this whole mess off. Right now, IMHO, they are just playing the numbers and so far they are coming out ahead.

Jim
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Some good news, at least forme, on my RMS. Moved from DC to SF recently. Took the car to Sonnen for a 45k check up and asked them to look at the RMS. Guess what? Leaking!! Go figure. Good news, since I had a new tranny (another story there) put in less than 2 years ago, the RMS was covered under that warranty. And the good news just keeps on coming. Seems that the new RMS is warrantied for two more years. Seems like a perpetual free fix.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:15 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

So let's start a class action lawsuit..........for all Porsche owners, those that have had an RMS leak and those with potential RMS leaks.

I am all for it and would be willing to put some funds forward with others to get this resloved once and for all. I have the legal association that can get this started and I have already mentioned this to a firm, who shall at this point remain nameless. Perhaps we should start a poll to see how many would put some money into a pool for this? Certainly, the lawsuit would be best in the US given the larger market and the larger impact it would have vs. something like this being started in Canada. I think the action alone would require a response from Porsche. Don't forget this is a publicly traded company and shareholders will not take kindly to any action, especially those that could certainly deter future sales and name brand.

I have never had a problem with my car, but this doesn't mean that I sleep well at night knowing that this problem could happen at anytime. I feel for those who purchased vehicles with hard working dollars and have had this problem.

Like I have mentioned many times........lets stop talking and take some action.

Any lawyers on this site.........what do you folks think?????

Something to consider.

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

I think you know it's a given i'm all in for this.. i'd love to get back some of the $33,000 i've put in my car in the past 1000 miles due to their flawed engines, which also include the rms issue.. which they refuse to acknowledge as being an issue.. :>
Old 12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Worm, Bob, the rest...I say, get some facts, find a lawyer (preferrably a Porschphile) and move forward. I am sure once the word goes out, the snowball effect will be ENORMOUS!!!

Chad
Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

dubai: I had four leaks this year. I do track often and the dealer could care less. The car is built for the track. It is an issue of the casings if the car is a multiple leaker. Keep a close eye , be nice to your techs and get them to help with Porsche. Unless the casings are way out of spec. it will take a coulpe more leaks.

Good luck. By the way my rebuilt motor is great.

Quick Reply: RMS leak number 2!