997 brethren suffer RMS too, appears systemic

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts
Default 997 brethren suffer RMS too, appears systemic

From the 997 discussion forum:

I can now officially verify for everyone that Porsche has NOT fixed the RMS problem on the 997 (and, now, I should add, presumably, the new Boxster).

My car (launch 997s) now has just over 7,150 miles on it and I took it to my dealer this morning to have the oil changed. I also asked them to take a look at everything else to make sure there were no problems. In the process of doing that, the mechanic spotted slight RMS leak. The necessary parts are on order now and the dealer is going to fix it ASAP early next week. Of course, I grilled my service advisor about the situation, explaining it was unacceptable and they said they are going to take care of it. He said they frequently fixed this same problem on base 996s (as I knew) but he explained that they key was fixing it early on. He said some customers with out-of-warranty 996s or Boxters would be told about an RMS problem but would not fix it due to the price (about 10 labor hours), which only compounded problems for such owners later down the road. Based on the experiences the rest of you have had (and what you have read), it would be good to develop a consensus about how "serious" this problem really is, given the launch of a new generation of 911s by Porsche.

This, of course, raises another issue. I definitely will NOT keep this car outside of warranty.

'05 997 Carrera S
Black/Black
Old 01-12-2005, 08:19 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I truly believe that the problem is not whether or not you keep the car.......the problem will be selling the car. After all lets all be frank here............would you buy a Pcar with RMS problems. And that my friends is the underlining problem with RMS issues and major mechanical flaws.

Hence the quick depreciation value of these vehicles. Soemtimes it is better to just lease the vehicle.

Good luck on your problem I hope it all gets resolved.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told all of you a while back that this would NOT be corrected in the 997. I had a gut feeling. Think about it, PAG CAN fix this issue. Hell, if they can build a supercar like the CGT it would certainly seem to me they could tackle RMS and should have years ago.
But we keep buying them and paying their prices to keep them #1 in profitability on top of the fact that these RMS repairs are keeping many dealerships in business. In PAG's eyes, why fix the RMS, they don't have to.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
jimster
Intermediate

Yet another reason why my current p-car is my last. No BS.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dealer is giving you a bunch of BS about fixing it early will prevent problems later. What a crock car dealers will say anyhthing.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

It is BS. Stop the production line, find the source, beat the crap out of the engine builders, MAKE IT RIGHT and stop sending out failure-prone cars. It's ridiculous. Can't believe there hasn't been a class action on this one.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

A class action experienced attorney, tried to get stats (from this board) to support exploring a class action. He owns a CTT & 911TT, benefits acquired from a class action suit, by his own admittal.

I suspect he didn't get them, because the incentive is there.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see myself owning this car beyond warranty, I'm afraid. My next will be a 997GT3 or TT.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 AM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe just maybe this is PAG's way of moving all of us into even more profitable Porsches. Have you noticed how the 986's and 996's and now the 997's leak but the GT2, GT3, TT's, and CGT don't leak...Hmmm
Old 01-13-2005, 01:27 AM
infestation
Instructor

I plan to drive the car and enjoy it. However, before the warranty runs out, I will trade the car in on something else. What that will be, I don't know.

This is sad but I don't think Porsche cares.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

fixing rms early or late has no difference.
USUALLY rms leak is not due the defective seal but due to engine out of spec (the two parts sandwiching the seal). replacing the seal if only a few hundred bucks, but if you don't fix the underlying prob (out of spec) you will be replacing one seal after another to no end. my dealer used some factory tool to measure how out of spec it is, and if it's beyond some PAG determined spec, you get replacement engine. some replacement engines are also out of spec, LOL. if that's the case, you will keep on leaking. i got lucky. after replacing engine, it's been dry.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:12 AM
infestation
Instructor

Thanks, Mooty.

Per your post, I will make sure my dealer does the proper measurements.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

And so dashes my dreams of getting out of LAW school and possibly buying a new porsche. I guess I should just be satisfied with maintaining and running my 951 :-(.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/914-6
I also asked them to take a look at everything else to make sure there were no problems. In the process of doing that, the mechanic spotted slight RMS leak. The necessary parts are on order now and the dealer is going to fix it ASAP early next week.
After the seal is replaced can you look at your paper work and post the part numbers that were replaced.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

My car got a new motor after 10,000 miles. That can't be financially in Porsche's best interest. Its more likely that they know exactly what the problem is but its too expensive to fix. The 997 is just a 996 anyway. I expect when the next generation comes out this problem will be solved. Porsche is a business like any other -- they are weighing the good-will they lose verses the cost of retooling. They are not stupid.

That said, my dealer has been good to me so far with my car, and I'm expecting that to continue.

Does anyone have knowledge of when the dealer wouldn't fix the RMS out of warranty?

Quick Reply: 997 brethren suffer RMS too, appears systemic