Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Back to audio (subwoofer, specifically)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to audio (subwoofer, specifically)...

Thought I'd mention I got in my new Clarion SRV303 powered 7" subwoofer enclosure yesterday. First thing I tried was sliding it under the passenger front seat - fits with ease on my '84 w/ stock seats.

The sub is only 2 15/16" high.

It's going in next week, along with the Nakamichi CD400 deck and I'll let you know the difference. I'm running the Nak in my SHO now, what a nice deck, very conservative looking and sounds excellent. Downside - no MP3 capability, but does have Aux-In for an iPod, etc.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

How about a pic or 2 of the sub box Fred?
+++
Old 02-26-2005, 08:24 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

It's a 64W RMS / 120 Peak amp driving a 7" counter-drive speaker. Low-pass filter (selectable at 50/75/100/120Hz), freq. response 30-200HHz The lower left corner of the picture is an air port. Comes with a 16' remote cable for woofer control (the Nakamichi I have also has a separate woofer control built into the deck itself). Unit comes with mounting hardware brackets, even velcro if you'd rather. Unit's ALUMINUM case measures 13 5/8" x 9 1/8" x 2 15/16". Weight is about 5 lb, at a guesstimate.

They retail at $250, eBay vendors have them for around $190-$200.

I'm hoping this thing helps out in the Carrera's cockpit, especially with a Cab. I'll probably be able to hook up the Infinity speakers' crossover now, leaving basswork to the Clarion. Should clean things up a little.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Looks good. I hope it sounds as expected (or better!).
Let us know once it is installed and running if you think it was worth doing.
+++
Old 02-26-2005, 06:12 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Interresting - I don't know how a 7" driver is going to put out much bass, or how such a small box will have the volume to do so either.

But... it's only 5 lbs. That's nice.

Post your impressions when it is wired in....
Old 02-26-2005, 06:23 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

I had forgotten about the Clarion sub until you posted this. I have been meaning to purchase one to try out for a while but since the 911 has been sleeping in the garage I haven't thought much about it. I just bought one 5 mins. ago for $180 shipped. For that price, it's worth trying out in my opinion. Most powered subs are much more expensive and much bigger. My car has no rear speakers, and 5 1/4" component door speakers, so I think this 7" sub will compliment them well. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

We have done 8" Bazooka tubes, that we modify to fit on the floor behind the front seats. They handle a lot of power and our loud enough to hear over the engine.

You can also build a custom enclosure to fit behind the rear seats.

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/911/

That was with 4 - 8", but if I were to do it again, I would go with 2 - 8" or maybe 4- 6.5" woofer.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Interesting approach. I have not even considered putting subs behind the rear seat backs.
I prefer to leave my rear seats folded down, and I don't want a huge speaker box sitting on the backs of them either, this might be a reasonable approach. I'll have to take some measurements and see.
Thanks for the pics.
+++
Old 02-27-2005, 09:00 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Didn't seem to be much space there for a cavity...

All in all, the best idea I've heard is to use the smuggler's box - it puts the wt. up front and low (where it harms handling the least). I'm told it sounds good also. Someone might want to make a "drop in" (really glue in) partition to seal off the side and top of the box and hold a woofer. Then it would be easy for others to do this.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 PM
CDiercks
Instructor

The smugglers box is a very convienent place to put a sub, only if you don't have AC though. I built a box out of fiberglass to fit inside the smugglers box. The only problem with it is that it is so small. There just isn't enough volume for a sub to work efficiently. I made the box to be able to pull out if needed. If you sealed up the smugglers box there would be much more air volume there, but there are a lot of spaces to seal. Someone on Pelican put a sub in the passengers side foot well and put the enclosure inside the bottome of the smugglers box. That was a cool design.

I don't listen to music too loud when I'm driving the 911 so I think this little 7 incher will suit me just fine.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:42 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Exactly - I'm not going for an audiophile system for my 911. I have a much better (though still not nearly audiophile) system in my SHO; separates up front, rear 6x9's, a 10" unported 2/3 cu ft sub out back, Nak deck w/ pioneer 9-band EQ & 2x MTX amps to run it all. It's great to crank the volume & not hear the Ford chassis rattles. When in the 911, I usually like listening to the engine, but it's for the occasional music I'd like this for.

Might be going in Tuesday or Wednesday (getting snow tomorrow, so probably Wed).
Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

If you want to go with the smugglers box, you do not have to do a box at all. You can just go and use the trunk area as the box.

Doing the Bazooka tubes on the floor behind the seat is good for handling too.

Behind the seat - you can still "use" the rear seats.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:51 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

My local installer was looking at using the area behind the rear jumpseats, but I wasn't sure how that'd be, with the droptop coming down on top of there - would the bonnet get in the way, etc.

I also thought about the Bazooka tube behind the front seats on the floor, but my 6 YO son would likely mangle it fairly well in no time.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

the clarion 7" sub box is very modest. i own a highend audio shop. i am finishing up a custom system in my car. It has two sets of 6 1/2 components in each door a 10 woofer molded into the area wher the seats were. 7" monitor molded into my factory center console and a 20 " monitor in the back on the top were the back of the seats were, i am haveing the c2 turbo kit installed now and in about a month i sould have it back to finish the system. i am really using it for a show car for my store. when i am done i will post pics.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 PM
DonMo
Advanced

I found a sweet 8" sub by resonant engineering, 4" mounting depth and will work with a .25 cu ft. enclosure. Tight and down to 34 hz. Runs with JL Audio and MB Quartz and only $54.

Quick Reply: Back to audio (subwoofer, specifically)...