Daytime Driving Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Daytime Driving Lights?

Dear friends in USA,

I am planning to import a 997S from USA into Canada. Our law said that our cars need the daytime driving lights. My question is whether the 997S in USA are equiped with this daytime driving lights? if not, what is the best solution? Should I just hooked the fog lights with the ignition so that the fog lights will always come on when I start the car?
Apparently just switch on the head lights after turning the ignition on is not acceptable by law, they need that some head lights automatically come on once the ignition is on. Any comment or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 PM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you purchase a car with the PCM, under the main display, if you push the set button, you have the option of activating or de-activating the day time driving lights. So if your car has PCM, ie the navigation system, it already is equipped with daytime driving lights. Even from the US.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Additional Memory functions ie: Daytime Running Lights, are only available with vehicles equiped with the Sport Chrono+ option.

NO Sport Chrono = NO DRL
Old 03-12-2005, 12:16 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

And you can't turn DDL off if your car is Canadian version, even though you have Sport Chrono+. (makes sense)
Old 03-12-2005, 12:34 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seriously, that's one of the main reasons why I wouldn't be a GM or an Audi product -- those silly *** daytime running lights. Check out this link to the Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights: http://www.lightsout.org/
Old 03-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the reply, but if the car has no Navigation or Sport Chrono, what is my option? Does it make sense to hook up the head light or fog light to the ignition? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:32 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's a good idea. Here in Toronto, there are mechanics who convert US cars to Canadian standards, can't you find one in Vancouver? (Actually, you should let the main lights come on with the ignition)
Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 PM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have the sport chrono, but the dealer was able to program daytime running lights for me. I have a regular 997 which now has daytime running lights, which are basically the headlights on all the time.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

FYI: The sport chrono daytime driving light selected option on US cars turns the headlights on at start with the instrument lights off.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:52 AM
MMD
Banned

Just check the message boards for whichever car you have where there will be a simple hack to disable the running lights.

The dealer will also disconnect them for you or tell you how to disconnect them.

Converting cars from Canada to USA is no big deal in this regard. You could probably do it yourself, in two minutes, if you knew where to look on the wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Daytime Driving Lights?