Pending projects and a few q?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Pending projects and a few q?

: My car is a 1991 C4 Cabriolet it had 40,275 miles when I bought it. The car was serviced, for most of its life, by AMAG since it was originally imported into Switzerland (thanks Adrian Streather for the initial hints as to where to start looking). A letter to AMAG gave me all the service history of the car while in Switzerland. Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel were changed three times during a 4 year period. The distributor has the ventilation kit installed. After that the owner moved to the US and the car had a speedometer changed from kph to mph.

Here is the information from the plate in the engine area: TS-No. 1P50-37---AMAG-No. 026676

Here is the information on the car from the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche:
Identification Number: WP0ZZZ96ZMS451067
Model Year/Type: 1991 911 CARRERA 4 CABRIOLET
Engine Number: 62M04287
Transmission Number: 3M00645
Exterior Paint Color/Code: GUARDS RED WITH BLACK TOP-G1V9
Interior Material Color/Type: BLACK PARTIAL LEATHER/LT

Optional Equipment: VERSION FOR SWITZERLAND, TINTED WINDSHIELD,AIR CONDITIONING

The car, at some point, received a change from the narrow body to the wide body, some other cosmetic changes (17inch Turbo wheels, tear drop mirrors), and lowered.
The PPI came out without any issues. And the wide body conversion was not done due to a crash or accident. There were no apparent signs of body damage/repair. I was told that it was completely respray/repainted when the conversion was done.

A week after buying it:
C4 headbolts replacement

Just a list of stuff I need to do and some wish list items I thought I would share, since some (if not all) of you share the same disease (as my wife calls it)…

STUFF PENDING:

1. Rocker sill trim - Trim cover strip replacement and painting the bottom half black: After reading the latest post from Marc Shaw, he reminded me that I needed to do this ASAP… Update: Pending. I fixed a few things, both sharkfin sills were replaced. The rest will be done when I paint the whole car.

2. AC Blowers - well... sure enough... the blowers are starting to make noise . Need to order both motors and brace myself for replacing them. A bit labor intensive.

3. Carrera side graphics/scripts - Update 2010: Not sure if I want to do the graphics... I gave away to a fellow rennlister the grey ones I ordered.

4. I want to change/improve the looks of the inside… some CF bits would be nice… but I am too cheap to spend the money on stuff that will not add to the longevity of the car (meaning that I rather save the money for when something mechanical needs attention). In the same line of thought, I would love to change my wheels for the 3 piece cup design… just awesome looking…

5. 3-point seat belts for rear seats: Children are getting older and need a better seat belt system than the current lap seat belts in the car. There is a thread on this: Rear Seat belt install

6. Carpet Set: Carpet is looking rather tired and old... Update: Carpet set arrived September 2008. Now I have to make the time for this sticky labor intensive task

7. Engine mounts: I will go with WEVO Black mounts Update: June 4, 2010 – Ordered from Pelican Parts (btw, they price match from the WEVO site)

8. Rennline Engine Carrier Reinforcement Gusset Kit : Update: June 4, 2010 – Ordered from Pelican Parts

9. Turbo S Front Splitters Need to search for a set to finish off the car now that it has a rear fixed spoiler.

10. Heater bypass. I have had this since September 2009… Need to install it.

STUFF DONE:

1. Cabrio Top - Rear window broke and the canvas is in need of replacement (very thin)Cabrio Top Thread Update: March 27, 2008 - Top installed by local shop

2. Repair wheels: Last time new tires were installed they chipped the wheels... that and the fact that it had a few scratches already prompted me to take time out to sand, filled, sand, and paint the wheels again. Update: Done...

3. Pedals Changed what I had to something with better grip. Pedal Set Update: Installed November 15, 2007. Old ones sent to a good home!

4. Tires: That time...
Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 205/50ZR17 N4 (Porsche OE)
Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 255/40ZR17 N4 (Porsche OE)

Update: Installed. And four wheel alignment at the Porsche shop done as well!

5. Passenger seat belt buckle: The thing came apart in many pieces that I am still struggling to find... ended up placing an order for a new one from Sunset Porsche - US$108.00 ouch! Update: Installed.

6. Front brakes: I have the rotors, pads, ATE Blue, paste, sensors. I have to paint the rotors to be socially accepted here (based on the different threads of folks painting them to avoid the awful looking state if not done). Also decided to do the rear brakes as well...Update: DONE!!!

7. Stainless Steel Brake lines: Read somewhere in rennlist that these needed to be changed after 10 years and since I was already working on the brakes it seemed like the best time to do it. Cost was minimal for the aftermarket lines. Update: DONE!!!See DIY Thread - Replacing Brake Lines

8. 15k maintenance: Although is has only been about 7K since I last did this I went ahead and ordered the seals, filters, sparkplugs, additional .004 gauge blades, etc. for a tune-up. And order one valve cover (at 365.00 each I have to take it one by one…). I ordered the one that is in the worst shape (lower driver side, on a LHD car). Update... by the time I got around doing this I had ordered the other side. So both valve covers got replaced. Update: DONE!!!

9. Replace oxygen sensor: Maybe not needed but the one in the car looked like crap so just as a proactive measure. Update: DONE!!!

10. Cat-bypass: Less weight. The one in the car is already looking like crap... So I placed an order for a FabSpeed unit... Update: Part arrived, and man does it look good. Now I need to schedule some time to put it in, along with the new valve cover for that side. Update: DONE!!!

11. Fuel neck filler: Tried changing the seal on the gas cap and the smell is still there… so I ordered the revised part. Should be here next week. - Update: DONE!!! - See DIY Thread Fuel Filler Neck Replacement DIY

12. Ceramic resistor for A/C Radiator fan: I got this when I was doing the A/C repair (evaporator) and forgot to install it. I was not aware there were two… I had replaced the one for the oil cooler fan… Update: DONE!!! See the thread on this here: Replacing ceramic resistor

13. Carbon Fiber Strut Brace: Could not resist the temptation… I just ordered one from ViperBob (DEVEK). Should be here next week. - Update: DONE!!!

14. G-pipe: The previous owner had eliminated the secondary muffler and had a half *** pipe in place… I thought I could put the stock piece back in there and without checking I bought the original tail pipe. Sure enough I need a G-pipe to be able to put the stock piece in place. In the mean time I cut the tail pipe the PO had there and got a nice chromed exhaust tip from AutoZone… but this has been bugging me for the last 2 years… so I ordered a G-pipe to do this the proper way… of course I would prefer to replace the stock unit with a dual exhaust setup but will hold off… must… hold… on… - - Update May 2009: All replaced by a FABSPEED Full Header and Muffler system.

15. Battery maintainer : With the VW R32 I am using the 964 only once or twice each week… and sometimes it sits for a week or two… so I went ahead and ordered a charger. - - Update: DONE!!! Also, VW R32 sold and replaced with a ’02 996TT

16. Adjust emergency brake.: Going to follow the DIY - HowTo: Checking and Adjusting Parking Brake Update: DONE!!!

17. Floor mats: old ones were in bad shape... funny how fast I go thru these... I am going into my third set... - - Update: DONE!!!

18. Then there are those clear front side markers I have been meaning to buy… : Got them and installed! Update: DONE!!!

19. Horn button with Porsche crest: Found an used horn button with the Porsche crest in ebay for my Momo steering wheel. Update: Done!!!

20. Not 964 specific… but, Mid-raise lift: Update: DONE!!! Update: May 2009 - replaced by a two post lift!!!

21. Stabilizer links. : Recent findings while doing the brakes... I need to replace the stabilizer links...Update: DONE!!!

22. Cabrio problems: Went over the mechanism and made sure the bolts where tight and fixed the passenger side bolts/nuts that broke off... Top is now back to operating under its own power. Update: DONE!!! See thread here: Cabrio Top Mechanism Problems

23. Passenger window switch: Update: Done. Replaced all three with new units.

24. Diagnostic Tool - reading on the diy alternative... getting the software and making the cable & interface. Update: Done!!. Decided to order the Durametric system to be able to open the locks for bleeding and also have the tools for the 996TT. Durametric

25. Brake Ducts, Front bumper splitters - Aug. 14, 2008 - Chet gave me these to install in my car. I will test fit them today to see if the splitters work with my Turbo bumper and the brake ducts to see how those would look (I tend to like the looks of the car with the fog lights)… Update: Not doing it. Turns out I like the way it looks with the fog lights... also the splitters do not work with a narrow body car... So we sold both.

26. HIDs - Aug. 28, 2008 - Chet helped to install these in my car. Got them from http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_hilo.html - Update: Installed.

27. Blistein (HD's) and H&R Sport springs : Update: Arrived from TireRack. Nov. 10, 2008: Installed!! What a difference a new suspension makes! - Suspension Install Thread

28. Clutch - last time I replaced the clutch I was not aware of the updated parts and simply installed the old fork, etc... now the clutch pedal is getting heavy again Update: List of needed parts compiled from a thread in Part List

29. Rear Spoiler installed and painted. TechArt unit.

30. Update: The following parts arrived from Pelican Update Nov. 10 2008 - Installed!! Smooth clutch again!! :
The following parts should help to improve pedal effort
N023-351-1-OEM - Clutch Pedal Roll Pin
964-423-611-00-M100 - Clutch Pedal Bushing
964-423-477-00-M33 - Slave Cylinder Flexible Connecting Hose

31. Shift boot/****: I want to change mine… I hate how the stock one looks. I would love to do the one I have seen on the 996TT (the short chubby ones… in Carbon Fiber and leather… with the crest) but I am not sure if it will fit and how/if the bottom of the boot will work with ours… also there is the issue of the cost… 500.00 for a shift **** is too much!!… I will do a search to see what you guys have done. Update: Installed! Ordered from http://www.aglausa.com/

32. Door catchers: Update: Arrived from Pelican Parts. Nov. 10, 2008: Installed!! No more the doors swinging open and hitting the front bumper, hahahaha!

33. Oil lines: Update: Arrived from Sunset Porsche and Pelican Parts (got to shop around for the best prices). Nov. 10, 2008: Installed!! Changed most of the oil lines. Only ones that were not changed were the long ones that run to the front oil cooler. Maybe later on when my wallet recovers...

34. Broken floor mat and pads, foot pedal wood replacement: Got all Alum. pieces from Rennline. I removed all the cracked rubber and foam and wood plate. Update: Installed! - Nov. 18 2008

35. Replace evaporator - Link here: Replacing evaporator

36. Rear bumper corner, and driver L sill. Witht the incident I had where some road debri knock out the driver's side sill (rear piece before the rear fender) I will tackle the fix this weekend (Sep. 17, 2006)... Update as of Aug 5, 2008: Decided to go with a dual exhaust system, so I ordered the left bumper piece from Sunset Porsche and the driver side sill that was damaged back in ’06. I will get everything repainted and installed. Update: Done!.

37. Front A-Arms Bushing: A arm bushings are tired and old... Update: Nov. 18 2008 - Ordered from Chris. Update: May 28, 2010 – Installed! A-arm Bushing from Chris

38. Big Red Brake Upgrade: Slowly buying all the required parts for the upgrade. Update: Front installed! - Oct. 22, 2009
Part list:
Pad - # DP3997C
Sensors - 993.612.386.00
Brake hose/line - 993-355-139-00 or 928.351.971.01
Calipers:
928-351-423-03
928-351-424-03
Rotors:
965-351-045-00
965-351-046-00
Caliper Adapters from FVD:
FVD 351 964 499 (x2)
Rear Calipers:
993-352-421-00
993-352-422-00
Rear Rotors:
951-352-041-91 (x2)

928GTS calipers are the same as the big reds... but you have to swap bleeds/line and paint them if you want them red... This is what I plan to do with mine.

Keeping my wheels info here as reference...
Front:
7Jx17 ET55

Rear:
9.5Jx17 AH ET68

A sickness indeed.

Photo as of June 2009:

And a few more from June 2010

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-06-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Jaime what was the name of the airconditioning place in Altamonte you went to? Do they know how many #'s of R134 that needs to go in the system? Mine has leaked down after 2 years and seeing as how its hitting near 90 already its time. It was converted by the PO.
Good luck on all the projects. I got to do a oil change this weekend myself.

Thanks
Jim
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Hey Jaime what was the name of the airconditioning place in Altamonte you went to? Do they know how many #'s of R134 that needs to go in the system? Mine has leaked down after 2 years and seeing as how its hitting near 90 already its time. It was converted by the PO.
Good luck on all the projects. I got to do a oil change this weekend myself.

Thanks
Jim
Jim,

Nice to pour those 10-11 quarts of the special stuff. Working in the car really provides a sense of one with it... Best therapy I have paid for...

Let me know when you get ready to do the valve adjustment and all that good stuff. Will be glad to help if you want.

Ice Cold Auto Air of Seminole - 1500 E. SR 436 (407) 834-1065. Greg did the work.

Do know that I usually take it to the dealer but they were too busy that day. So you have two options that should be about the same, price wise, I think.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:59 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime - Sounds like you have your saturday all planned out... where's the sunday list?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks! I did all the brake pads and of course my adventure a couple weeks ago with the DME relay and all seems fine now except for the airconditioner. I am about at 71K now and dont hear any valve noise. I might take you up on the valve adjustment next fall when it will be about due. After changing oil in these cars for the last 20 years or so i still manage to dump 1/2 of it on the ground
Wouldnt mind seeing yours done if you are going to do them. I did them on my 2 other 911's but was easy to get to. Send me a PM and would be happy to watch and help if I can. Be nice to save $1K for use on new springs and shocks perhaps.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I have to paint the rotors to be socially accepted here (based on the different threads of folks painting them to avoid the awful looking state if not done).
Oh, go on - paint the calipers too while you have it all apart.

Marc

p.s. Just one more project.....I'll stop then....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Oh, go on - paint the calipers too while you have it all apart.

Marc

p.s. Just one more project.....I'll stop then....
I actually got the black epoxy paint that they sell in Autozone to make them look better... but was holding off since I was not sure if I want to go with the stock color or switch to red... I tell you! this is sick!!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I actually got the black epoxy paint that they sell in Autozone to make them look better... but was holding off since I was not sure if I want to go with the stock color or switch to red... I tell you! this is sick!!
Mine is up on axle stands at the moment with all 4 wheels off as the new red paint on the calipers dries.....

Help me - I am sick.....

Marc
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint your calipers yellow and tell all your buddies you upgraded to PCCBs!
Brian
Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Marc-let's see those red calipers!

c
Old 03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Marc-let's see those red calipers!

c
As soon as they are done I'll post before and after pictures for those who share my affliction.

Marc

p.s. You'll have to excuse the D90's though.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
As soon as they are done I'll post before and after pictures for those who share my affliction.

Marc

p.s. You'll have to excuse the D90's though.
Show them before you put on the D90 or we will not be able to see them
Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
JAMES J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Marc....It's O.K. to have D90's.....nice and light they are !!......soon we will be the only one's that have them!!
Jim
Old 04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Might also be tempted

to paint the calipers since I have nice open wheels. Red would be kewl.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default valve covers

msroad race has aluminum lower valve covers for 75.00 i was given this price about a month ago

Quick Reply: Pending projects and a few q?