Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Possible engine problems on 996 3.4L, HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Origany
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible engine problems on 996 3.4L, HELP...

Hi evevybody. I surf this for years and itīs a shame that only now Iīm posting something.

Iīve a 996 3.4L Carrera 2 and love it since day one.

Today Iīve benn at the track with my car and at the end of the day something strange happened. Iīll tell the all story.
I started the day with half tank gas and was running hard during the morning,enginer was running great. My car has the PSE. On the main straight I could pass on power a 996 3.6L Carrera 4S which surprised me alot. The 993 C4S was even easier to pass on the main strainght too. Begining afternoon I was out of gas so I went to a place nearby and put half tank for the rest of the day. After two laps on the circuit with the new gas (also 98ron) and after making two hard left corners in second gear check engine light started to blink and than remain on. The engine lost a bit of power and even the oil red light blink for two seconds or so and than went off. I stopped immediatly let the engine cool down and re-start the engine , the check light remain on. Engine is running normal at idle and if I accelarate I feel a noticlble vibration coming from the engine at 3500 rpm up, but from 800 to 35000rpm thereīs no vibration at all and no strange sounds either. I took the car for a short ride and the engine was running stronge till 3500rpm, after that it clearly doesnīt have the same power and vibrates. Thereīs no clicking on metalic noise coming from the engine, just a stronge vibration.

I was 100 Kilometers from home and take the risk to bring the car with the check light on. On the highway in 6gear , engine was running stronge but when it reached 3500rpm , the vibration starts, so I made all the trip back home under 3000rpm.

During my way home I put some more gas in another station, but nothing changed.

Can this be a problem with the catalic converters or have I damage something inside the engine?
Can the vario can system be damaged?
Did I toast my engine?

I really donīt think the engine is toasted, there no leaks, water and oil pressure gauges are working at normal temperatures, no withe or black smoke coming from the exhaust and at idle the engine works fine.
What the hell happened in order to cause the vibration and lack of power????? Please give me your thoughts on this.
Monday Iīll take it to my dealer, but till then, I wont be able to sleep, thinking on the worst cenarios like a new engine

PS - Sorry for the bad English, but itīs not my mother linguage. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt it is anything serious. It may even be bad gas, clogged filter which will starve the engine at higher RPM's. When you run the tank very low, any crap in the bottom of the tank has a better chance of getting into the fuel system, but will be stopped by the filter. If you have a scanner, see what code was set. Or go to autozone and have them read the code for you.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Beware high Gs with the "integrated dry sump" design; not to be an alarmist.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Origany
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I doubt it is anything serious. It may even be bad gas, clogged filter which will starve the engine at higher RPM's. When you run the tank very low, any crap in the bottom of the tank has a better chance of getting into the fuel system, but will be stopped by the filter. If you have a scanner, see what code was set. Or go to autozone and have them read the code for you.
Thatīwhat I first thougth, but the vibration is too strong only to be a dirty fuel filter. Went to the car and try the engine again, the vibration fades a bit after 5500 rpm but still vibrates. And notive a metalic noise at low rpm while accelerating coming from the bottom of the engine, on the exhaust area. Can this something related with the PSE ?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

If the CEL was blinking, maybe you have a firing problem. It would be nice to know what code is being displayed.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

CAM TIMING ISSUE?MAYBE A BAD ACTUATOR?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Origany
7th Gear

Originally Posted by HAMMER502
CAM TIMING ISSUE?MAYBE A BAD ACTUATOR?
Is this something serious? Do they need to open the engine to check it?

I forgot to mention a detail, when I made the first ride after the check light went on, to I steped on the gas in 2šgear (with the light already on) and the light started to blink again. Can a faulty catalic converter be responsable for this symptoms? Is there any stories of faulty vario cam system? What are the symptoms? Sorry for all this doubts, but Iīm trying to fugure out what the hell happened.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:58 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

We can sit here all day GUESSING. Go to autozone and get the codes read and report back. It could be anything including motor mounts, valves, pistons, cam, crank, tranny loose seat etc etc etc.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear... that sucks..

probably your VarioCam system... I know of somebody who had it "go" on him at the track.... yes they have to open up the motor for this; but you'd best be sure and have a good shop check out the codes and stuff - and stop driving it until you figure out what happened.

P.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Chris79SC
Intermediate

Sounds like variocam...I think a related Pcode is 1153, not sure though. Stuttering performance drop at 3500rpm sounds like cams..sorry.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:44 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

IT COULD BE A BAD ACTUATOR,ALTHOUGH I HAVE HEARD OF THE SCAVENGE PUMP(OIL PUMP IN THE HEAD,VALVE COVER)SEIZING UP AND GETTING THE CAM TIMING OFF.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
GT-Racer
Advanced

I went through 5 MAF sensors so far. When the last one went bad, the car was shaking like the engine was going to blow up. I thought my car was done... You may want to unplug the MAF sensor and see if it acts the same. It will generate a CEL fault that any dealer can reset, but at least you'll know if that is the problem.

Quick Reply: Possible engine problems on 996 3.4L, HELP...