911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Air Injection Removal.. A Pictorial + Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Air Injection Removal.. A Pictorial + Questions

Gang - I was cleaning up and tidying the engine compartment of the car. Incidentally I was able to remove my manifolds as well yesterday even after breaking two Craftsman sockets (one being an impact drive!!!), lucky no broken bolts or studs!! - sigh of relief. Here it is out of the car:

Anyway I removed my Air Pump (what a struggle that was!!) and would like to clean up some of the air injection system..can you guys PLEASE advise what is safe to remove and what I should leave connected:

Question 1: Can I remove these air injection hard lines under the engine, and the large diameter metal line that runs around the engine and is connected to the valve fitting in the right rear wheel well?

Question 2: In the engine compartment, is it OK to remove these two fittings, remove and plug the lines connected to them, especially the one at the distributor that looks like an old vacuum advance line:

Many thanks - Yasin
Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

No One???
Old 05-16-2005, 04:38 PM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slownrusty, you may want to really slow down the disassembly process
Its safe to remove the air injection lines if you are going to leave the whole system off. You'll need some caps to plug the holes in the cylinder head.
In one of your pictures above that shows 2 lines "terminating" in front of the passenger side rear wheel, that is the oil line to the front oil cooler. I dont think you want to cap that.
The vacuum lines to the distributor are for ignition advance/retard. So you may want to think about how to control that before capping them.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm wondering why the mad rush to get all of these things changed on a car you just bought?

Certainly its none of my business, and in the end its your car, and your show to run, but in reality PT's suggestion is a legitimate one.

Brian
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Guys - I am not in a mad rush...I just thought that as I have pulled the exhaust manifolds off the car, while I am in there what can I remove to neaten up the underside of the car and the engine bay. When the new manifolds go back everything will be that much harder to get access too, I am just trying to kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Regards - Yasin
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, no problem. Just curious.

Brian
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You got lucky not breaking any studs!

Originally Posted by slownrusty

Question 1: Can I remove these air injection hard lines under the engine, and the large diameter metal line that runs around the engine and is connected to the valve fitting in the right rear wheel well?

You can remove the air injection manifold, but as PT says, you will need something to plug them. Stephan at Imagine has them.

If you are replacing you exhaust with an aftermarket exhaust, i.e. B&B or GHL, you will replace that oil line with the older style oil line that runs in front of the engine. If you are staying with the stocker, you HAVE to keep it.

Question 2: In the engine compartment, is it OK to remove these two fittings, remove and plug the lines connected to them, especially the one at the distributor that looks like an old vacuum advance line:

When you remove the air pump and all the associated parts, you can remove those fittings, the black hose that crosses the engine to the other fitting and wiring as well. Just cap everything off. When you go to a Kokeln Intercooler, you'll pull a lot of that stuff off as well. The only downside is that in cold weather, it might be a little hard to start and warm up, but a lot of people do it.

Many thanks - Yasin
Old 05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The line under the motor is the main oil line. You need that unless you are doing a header set. The air injection can go, you need to cap the heads off. The control valve and misc air injection upper plumbing can go as well. Leave the lines to the dist though.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Stephen and A930Rocket - Thanks for your reply. The air injection system is coming off this weekend and I will try and remove as much of the fittings and lines accordingly.

In my haste I realized that I identifed the major oil line that goes under the engine and around the front of it - DOH! So obviously that will not be touched.

Yes I was fortunate that I did not breake any studs that I why I soaked everything in this stuff:

and my trusty impact gun with a couple of neat swivel sockets that I bought from Sears (broke two in the process mind you!). I was going to remove all the studs and replace them with new ones, but decided that I do not want to flirt with danger and break them trying to remove them from the head(s), so I will use a thread chaser and just sharpen them up instead and then use Permatex anti-seize graphite liberally on them when I re-install everything!

Yasin

Quick Reply: Air Injection Removal.. A Pictorial + Questions