Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing the HP for 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Extremely well said, VB. I have decided to go with the PSE on my 997S after experiencing some of the same frustration you have, to a lesser degree, exchanging exhausts on my 996 turbo. Another factor is the often inverse effect of increasing hp and decreasing torque. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've upgraded exhaust systems on different vehicles to more free flowing, higher hp system with a noticeable decrease in torque, especially at the low end. I have confidence in Porsche engineers at achieving a balance of hp, torque and sound to retain that Porsche feel and music. For an aftermarket company to do the same, they will likely give up one thing to pick up another except they always do seem to shave a lot of weight. Another observation- it may be just me but a I never "seat of the pants felt" a huge difference in a 10% increase in power, especially considering the cost and warranty issues. But I must admit, like the next guy, I enjoy modifying my car, making it special and hoping I hit on something that makes it unique and just a tiny bit better than the way it came to me. That's the beauty on these boards- sharing information and spreading the thrill. There is no substitute.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:27 AM
belltux
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vb997
I have a 997S. I am in the process of experiencing what you probably already have, spending a load of money on performace upgrades that only disappointed me. I am primarily interested in 1/4 mile racing, and still like to drive the car daily. I did the Fabspeed air tube (that actually slowed the car up), I have now installed the evo box and had it flashed, seems to sound good and may have harder pull at very high rpm (or the sound may just make it seem that way), but I feel like I lost the low end and midrange power again (I have not tested at track yet). I am waiting for AWE to finish the exhaust system they show on the site (not ready for sale yet), and the supercharger from evo (not ready for sale yet). Do you have any suggestions, or do's and don'ts that you have experienced with this car for power gains? This is my first Porsche.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, the dragstrip is the wrong track for a Porsche, try Pocono, Watkins Glen, etc for real excitement, it's what/where these cars were designed for not the DS.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Honestly, the dragstrip is the wrong track for a Porsche, try Pocono, Watkins Glen, etc for real excitement, it's what/where these cars were designed for not the DS.
Most people will not take their porsche to the track. Despite what it was built for straight line speed is what most people will use most of the time, that is the reality of it. Why can't someone be a porsche enthusiast and like to go in a straight line? I know the answer always is get a muscle car or 03 cobra, something of that sort, if you want to go in a straight line, but why not be different? With the way a 911 is set up with the weight in the back, it is a formidable drag strip car as well as a good road racer. The nice thing is the 911 can do either extremely well.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:10 AM
belltux
AutoX

The car is a great 1/4 mile runner (could do without the hopping on launch ). Best run to date was a 12.16 (stock), after fabspeed air tube and K/N airfilter best was 12.40, after AWE chip flash with fabspeed tube and KN air filter was 12.60. I installed the evo airbox, still have the chip flashed, and I will head to atco this week and see. It seems like the mods available do not make the car any quicker, but no one notices this because they do not "street" race the car. This is my first Porsche, and turns out it is my favorite car I've ever had and I see fantastic potential for a 1/4 mile runner if only I find someone that truly knows how to tweak these cars out. I will try to post the video of the 12.40 run at Atco if I can figure out how to upload it (one of my friends filmed it that was there and sent it to me).
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 AM
belltux
AutoX

don't know if i am uploading this right??
Old 05-23-2005, 11:10 AM
aj02996tt
Advanced

Well, Steve, mods are fun for sure. However, as Neil pointed out, 375-400 is about the limit. In stock form, the cars are already near 100hp/liter with a reasonably low redline- remember that hp is mathematically derived and hp in excess of 100/liter in a naturally-aspirated car is usually done through high rpms, say 8-9K. Exhaust, intake and ECU remapping (done judiciously) won't probably hurt your motor. Regarding SC solutions, some folks have had luck, and some have had reliability problems- if you're cool with potential engine failure on you're dime, do it. I personally wouldn't go looking for big power gains in an M96 motor without internal mods. Taking weight off the car is a good idea too.

If I owned one of these cars, I'd trust it to Neil, Steve at IA, Todd at Evo, Sharky at Akkurat, or the Ruf people. I'm sure there are other good tuners but these are the people I know and the only ones that I'd let touch my Turbo.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by belltux
The car is a great 1/4 mile runner (could do without the hopping on launch ). Best run to date was a 12.16 (stock), after fabspeed air tube and K/N airfilter best was 12.40, after AWE chip flash with fabspeed tube and KN air filter was 12.60. I installed the evo airbox, still have the chip flashed, and I will head to atco this week and see. It seems like the mods available do not make the car any quicker.
Good report! 12.16 to 12.60 is a huge loss. What were your mph's?
Unlike folks who add stuff then dyno the car, you don't learn diddly about gains or losses....
Just goes to show you, if it sounds faster it isn't always faster. Lots of snake oil pretending to deliver more than smoke and mirrors performance gains...

Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12.16 to 12.6 could just be launch technique, couldn't it....
Old 05-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How in the world did you get a 12.16 stock and get slower with more mods? Is that a misprint, did you mean to have the order of times reversed?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:55 AM
belltux
AutoX

No misprint... according to the G-Tech computer and Atco raceway, the car ran best with the stock air box, cleaner, and programming. Now this is for 1/4 mile, I have no way to tell what it does for top end. It may increase the top end speed and power, but these aftermarket mods definitely take away from the quickness (the quickness is what you want when those little imports, or that new Corvette pulls up next to you at the traffic light telling his friend to watch this). I have only had the car up to 167 on 2 ocassions. I've had the car to 150 numerous times. The 997S accelerates to 150 pretty fast, it then takes a while to climb. I need to take a blast on the US Audobon (Turnpike) to see what the full top end is.
Johnfm... I thought they same thing about the launch... but I believe it was the mods because I launched it like I did with the stock setup and then I tried launching from every rpm range. I took the Fabspeed air tube and K/N airfilter on and off 3 different times. If anyone wants the Fabspeed air tube and K/N air filter, you can have it for free. Just PM me your shipping info and I will send it to you. I may have a free Evo airbox set up to give away if it disappoints me at the track, which I have a feeling it will.
Sticky... this car is a true runner stock, I just know many people are scared to launch a car that costs this much like this. Give it a try.. Pull up to a light, turn sport on, that psm thing off.. rev it up to 4-5000 rpm and drop the clutch, hold it floored (do not let off the gas) and just bang each gear at 6800-7200 rpm up to 5th gear. The first couple times you launch you will probably hit the rev limiter faster than you can bang the car into 2nd. Once you get the hang of it you can rip off 3.9 0-60 times, and you will truly get a feel of how awesome this car is for stock!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:56 AM
belltux
AutoX

i have a couple atco runs on my computer if someone wants to give there email address for me to send it to them to upload. I can't figure this upload thing out at all.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

after several conversations with vb997 i truly belive he is on track with his answers. i have fac=b spped exhaust and the evo intake throttle reponse ins much more noticeable a quicker feel. the sound is good, but i doubt there is more than a 10 to 15 hp gain. I should have done a before and after dyno run. i truly belive it takes alot of work to reconize a 40 hp gain. i dont mean to come across as a doubting Thomas but 40 hp is alot of hp of gain on any car.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Findas
8th Gear

So Generally what is your suggestion for upgrading a Carrera 997S.Does AWE Full exhaust-EVO Air BOX-GIAC sounds good to you.Is there any chance for the car to loose H.P. from just the Intake?Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by belltux
The car is a great 1/4 mile runner (could do without the hopping on launch ). Best run to date was a 12.16 (stock), after fabspeed air tube and K/N airfilter best was 12.40, after AWE chip flash with fabspeed tube and KN air filter was 12.60. I installed the evo airbox, still have the chip flashed, and I will head to atco this week and see. It seems like the mods available do not make the car any quicker, but no one notices this because they do not "street" race the car. This is my first Porsche, and turns out it is my favorite car I've ever had and I see fantastic potential for a 1/4 mile runner if only I find someone that truly knows how to tweak these cars out. I will try to post the video of the 12.40 run at Atco if I can figure out how to upload it (one of my friends filmed it that was there and sent it to me).
Your MPH would be a better indication of horsepower gain/loss. What kind of traps were you seeing?

Quick Reply: Increasing the HP for 997