Sponsored by:

Tragic CGT crash today at Cal Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tragic CGT crash today at Cal Speedway

Please check out the story on the CGT forum. Allegedly there were no corner workers where the cars entered the track. A Ferrari pulled out and entered the track in front of the approaching CGT who was traveling at approx.150mph. The CGT took evasive actions and spun hitting the wall. Both he and his passenger expired.
As reported by an eyewitness on 6-speed online.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html
Old 06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and Ben the driver is a rennlister...one of the first ones here to get the CGT and had several posts...It's truly so sad, and I feel sick.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW, that is so sad to hear. I also feel somewhat sorry for the person driving the f-car, having to live for the rest of his life knowing he had a part in the death of 2 people. Wow, so sad. . . . .
Old 06-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Jesus, Ben has a couple of small kids. Truely sad. Damn........
Old 06-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Brent951
Advanced

Default updated info found on the ferrarichat board

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...7&page=4&pp=20
Quoted from
"The passenger was another amazing guy and friend, Cory Rudl. I was with them both. Cory's Murceilago Roadster overheated early in the session. He was interested in buying a GT and Ben graciously offered Cory a seat to show him what the car could do. The entrance to the track was at the absolute worst place in the straight and an F-car was waived on in error as they came down the straight. It was just unthinkable something like this could happen. The driver waived on is by all accounts an excellent driver and was only doing what was instructed. I doubt he ever saw the car in such a blind spot coming on. May they both rest in peace and my heartfelt prayers for their families. Cory leaves behind a wonderful wife of just 30 days.......tragic isn't the word."
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

This makes it even sadder....It was a track management error and lost us 2 great car enthusiasts...
RIP and prayers to both families
Old 06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I'm in shock after reading all the rennlist posts and the ferrari chat posts. Two great car enthusiasts and all around great people lost in an easily preventable accident...

RIP
Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
mamoroso
Racer

more on pelican parts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=224465
Old 06-03-2005, 05:43 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by msindi
This makes it even sadder....It was a track management error and lost us 2 great car enthusiasts...
The real question to me is why in the world is track entry set up at a point that dangerous? I've never driven at CA Speedway, but is it not possible to use another entry point? It's ridiculous that lives are put at risk in what should be a simple, safe maneuver.

Gary
Old 06-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly don't mean this as a condemnation of the track officials, I have never been to that track, but I think all tracks should do as F1 tracks do, and that is put a line that entering traffic can't go over till they are up to speed. On coming traffic shouldn't cross over it either. I can only think of a single track I have driven on that has that line, but it seems like a simple fix to me. (The one that does have it is Nashville Superspeedway, and that is actually a pretty bad track for road racing anyway. The tracks I have been on include Memphis, Road Atlanta, Savannah, Daytona, Sebring, St Louis, Blackhawk, Gingerman, Nelson, Watkins, Mosport, Charlotte, IRP and Putnam Park) If I am wrong about this, please excuse me.

I am deeply sorry for all involved.

Bill Seifert
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bill,
I was at Watkins Glen this week and there is a clearly marked blend line exiting the pits between Turns 1 and 2. Lime Rock has one as well, weathered, worn, but it's there at pit out before Turn 1 (Big Bend).
The blend lines are always discussed at driver's meetings.

A friend just emailed me who was at the track, and he commented on the incident. It would appear as though the car entering the track exited directly onto the racing line as the CGT was about to enter Speedway Turn 1. Speed was estimated at 165mph and not much speed was scrubbed off before impact with the wall. He estimated wall impact at 120mph.

I am still trying to make sense of it all and don't know if there will ever be an appropriate time to discuss items such as personal safety equipment (harnesses, H&N restraint, etc) and whether or not it would have mattered. I have tried to look at some of the photos, but still can't. I still don't want to believe something like this actually happened.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lewis

I have not been to Watkins Glen since 1993. It would not surprise that some other trackes I have been to have added lines. I haven't been to Mosport since 1992. I still think it is a good idea to have the line. I know people can violate it, but it is better than nothing.

Bill
Old 06-04-2005, 10:19 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Blend lines;

They do indeed exist at Mosport, LRP, Watkins, VIR, Mid-O, and many others I'm sure. Unfortunately, the first three put you out in traffic fairly near an impending turn of some serious velocity. They are mentioned at EVERY driver's meeting, and at every event I STILL see instructors violating the blend rule. It really is not that difficult, guys.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be surprised if the pit exit were in a bad place at this track. That would be troubling to me. "We" should know enough about this sort of thing by now to avoid such lapses. However, what I am most surpised by is that things like this don't happen MORE OFTEN. When you have many people with highly divergent agendas and proficiencies in one place going fast, it is a wonder incidents don't happen more frequently. I have always felt we have collectively been a bit lucky to this point. Apparently, our collective luck has run out.

I know in my heart that there are a lot of people out on the track that simply have no real grasp of the realities of what we are doing. I think perhaps EVERYONE should go to an auto salvage auction yard and just walk the isles. If one delves beyond simple curiousity and places oneself in any of these vehicles, the gravity of physics cannot be ignored. We are often exceeding the parameters of such street mayhem by 2-3x. Even I can do that math.

The rule is - Think, think, and think again. If there's even the remotest chance... DON'T. At what cost, just for a little fun?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Re: Blend lines:
They do indeed exist at Mosport, LRP, Watkins, VIR, Mid-O, and many others I'm sure. Unfortunately, the first three put you out in traffic fairly near an impending turn of some serious velocity. They are mentioned at EVERY driver's meeting, and at every event I STILL see instructors violating the blend rule. It really is not that difficult, guys.
John,
You are correct regarding the first 3 blend lines. It is naive for people to assume that "as long as I don't cross the blend line, I can enter the track at any speed I chose"
Wrong!
It is the responsiblity of the car entering the track to not only observe the blend line, but to observe on-track traffic and adjust their speed to safely enter the racing surface after crossing the blend line.
Mirrors, get them and use them often!
I have even ignored a Pit Out signal to enter the racing surface when it was apparent to me, sitting in the car looking in my mirrors at on track cars, that the signal was given too late, given the speed of the on-track car(s).

Quick Reply: Tragic CGT crash today at Cal Speedway