Sponsored by:

Leather problem in 2001 Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather problem in 2001 Dash

I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem? The leather on my dashboard is "bubbling" or deforming on the passenger side near the window. It appears to be drawing up or shriveling.

Anyone else seen this in their car?

Mine is a 2001 TT.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Have you treated the dash leather with anything since you've owned it?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, mine did it. I had the dealer replace the dash.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Nope, I ain't used nothin' that should cause a problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

No I think he means that using a condioner would keep it from getting hard and shrinking. I did, but mine still did it.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:25 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i had the binnacle replaced (under warranty) on my full-leather '00 996. shortly thereafter, the dash did exactly as you described (bubbling), right at the base of the windshield.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's why I asked...

The leather Porsche uses on the dash contains almost no moisture - it is specifically dried so there will be less "movement" as it goes through the big temperature changes that can occur on the dash. Introducing moisture back into the leather by using a conditioner will cause the leather to "move" with temperature changes and possibly break loose from the surface it is glued to. Here's what Porsche has to say about the leather used on the dash...

"All leather is not the same. We work with classic upholstery leather, but we also work with low-shrinkage leather. The instrument paneling, for example, can get extremely hot in summer. If the material starting tightening, what would that look like after a while? So we're talking about leather whose residual moisture has been largly removed, which means that it won't be able to shrink later." (Christophorus, No. 276 January 1999)

I have not applied *anything* to my leather dash (3.5 years old now) and it looks good as new.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Hmmm, well they shold have done a better job with the dye. Where I rest my arm the leather is fading, and that damn rattling headiner!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Hmmm, well they shold have done a better job with the dye. Where I rest my arm the leather is fading, and that damn rattling headiner!
It may not be the dye. Oils from people's skin are absorbed into the leather which can change the color regardless of the quality of the dye.

I have no headliner "noises"...but maybe it's because I don't have a sunroof.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
Here's why I asked...

The leather Porsche uses on the dash contains almost no moisture - it is specifically dried so there will be less "movement" as it goes through the big temperature changes that can occur on the dash. Introducing moisture back into the leather by using a conditioner will cause the leather to "move" with temperature changes and possibly break loose from the surface it is glued to. Here's what Porsche has to say about the leather used on the dash...

"All leather is not the same. We work with classic upholstery leather, but we also work with low-shrinkage leather. The instrument paneling, for example, can get extremely hot in summer. If the material starting tightening, what would that look like after a while? So we're talking about leather whose residual moisture has been largly removed, which means that it won't be able to shrink later." (Christophorus, No. 276 January 1999)

I have not applied *anything* to my leather dash (3.5 years old now) and it looks good as new.
Damn, Dock. Now you tell me. I know...RTFM. I've been applying Lexol to the dash for over three years. However, my TT actually sees very little direct sun or high temps. For the last 11 months, it has been garaged during the day.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC Bob
I've been applying Lexol to the dash for over three years. However, my TT actually sees very little direct sun or high temps. For the last 11 months, it has been garaged during the day.
You'll probably be Ok since it's been out of the heat.

Quick Reply: Leather problem in 2001 Dash