Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for PDAS pump and/or pressure switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best source for PDAS pump and/or pressure switch?

Yep...son of a gun - my PDAS pump stopped working & brake pedal went hard in the middle of traffic. (For Adrian's database: no, I had not had any previous warning lights, the pump DID seem to run a bit longer than usual on startup (perhaps 30 seconds total running), and I DID find a small amount of leakage where the pressure switch screws into the pump body (but only a few drops & none since). It certainly woke me up when I suddenly had no boost & had to really stand on the pedal for decent braking. Based on my location at the time, I was forced to continue on & found that the brakes DO work, but take some serious force to stop quickly.

Just for fun (after having read the huge debate on loss of PDAS pump function) I found a nice deserted stretch of pavement on the way home today & tried 20 or so stops from 50 to zero. No noticeable brake fade, but my left leg got a real workout! Did not find any additional fluid loss after the test either.

Now...since I have NO intention of continuing to drive like this - where is the best source for a replacement pump and/or switch? Will troubleshoot in the coming weekend to determine the faulty component, but want to have a replacement source in mind before I get that deep. Also - relay's verified OK.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

David S.

'93 964 5spd (currently garaged in favor of my Z3).
Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 PM
gjvander
Rennlist Member

Definitely replace the pressure switch first before you go off and spend big money on the pump. The switch started leaking on mine. I think I paid $200 for it.

Regards,

Geo
Old 07-28-2005, 08:23 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Thanks for the moral support guys! Still don't have a decent source for the pressure switch though. Best I've found is $275 with no guaranteed date of delivery. All the older tech postings I've read mention purchasing the part for right around $180. Anyone know a source??

Geesh, with my 23 year old 928 I can source almost any part on the car for peanuts compared to most anything on the 964
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
ACFOUR
Intermediate

You will need to get the Porsche part for this, so the best price will probably be from Sunset Porsche or Pelican Parts. I had the opportunity to have mine replaced a little over a year ago and the price was approximately $2,000. I believe Jason A reported that they are about $2,600 now.

When my pump went I was leaving a shopping center. I was able to drive home (about 10 miles) but took back roads and tried to minimize any abrupt stops. It took a lot of prssure but was not unreasonable. An emergency stop would have been interesting though. Glad you had no problems getting home.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Had a similar situation June 8, 2000.

I was using the car and had to make a sudden stop
at a speed bump. The ABS came to play. Since it was the first time I had sense the system in action I decided to give it another try. It worked flawlessly. Close to my house I made a normal stop and to my surprise the brake pedal would not respond. I had to push it extremly hard to make the car stop.

The problem was solved by: Pressure Sensor replaced(US$247.55 - Part # 964-606-904-00), Relay replaced (US$33.81 Part # 964-615-135-00), Rubber O-Ring replaced(US$4.99 Part # 999-707-094-40). Labor US$147.90 Minus PCA discount.

Try Sunset Imports/Porsche for the parts (did not know about them at the time)... they should have a good price. - http://sunset.porschedealer.com/

Quick Reply: Best source for PDAS pump and/or pressure switch?