Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Honda S2000 as Porsche 951 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Holson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda S2000 as Porsche 951 replacement?

Maybe I got bit by a "i want a new car" bug. My friend got a loaner C240 4Matic (yup boring car, but sure was very nice), then I drove around in a new 2005 Audi A4 3.2 (fast) and then an SLK350!!

Needless to say getting back in the 951, it felt anemic.

Looked at the SLK350 and the Honda S2000. I sure loved the SLK for being a Mercedes but the S2000 somehow came off as being better built (pretty sad for the Mercedes and I'm a Benz fan)

The lease terms on the '05 S2000 are very attractive, the car looks good, is well built, well equipped, and it just FIT me like a glove!

The ideas of driving a car knowing that nothing will come off the car is neat too.

For those who HAVE driven an S2000 or owner one, what do you think?

or for that matter, any other NEW cars I should look at for around $30k?

Nissan 350Z maybe?

On a Porsche-note, there is an immaculate Silver 993 C2S in my garage....

I was just.. speechless.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Blitzen
Instructor

Hi Holson,

I drove a student's modified S2000 around Lime Rock, and to be honest I felt it really wasn't that fast....kinda disappointing, actually. You have to rev the heck out of it, and it never felt like it really got on-cam. Nice handling car, but my lightly-modded 951 was faster around for sure...more power, and the handling is better/easier to deal with at the limit (this may have been the fault of this car/owner, as he'd gone to coilovers with WAY too high a spring rate).

Hope this helps.

Michael
'86 951
'92 MBZ 500E (Garnet Red)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:32 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my parents are looking around for a car as well. tested the audi TT, a mercedes, a bmw 3 series, the 350z. the thing they hated about the 350z was how uncomfortable it was. they just felt that there were zero ergonomics built in.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The MSRP for the 350Z (roadster model) is about the same as for the 2.5L BMW Z4, which is about three times the car the Z is - and the warranty is the best out there. The Z don't really impress me that much. The S2000 is okay looking but the lack of torque would quickly bore the heck out of me.

My advice, spend a little money and modify your 951 - you won't be bored with it and you'll come out many thousands of dollars ahead.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Holson
Looked at the SLK350 and the Honda S2000. I sure loved the SLK for being a Mercedes but the S2000 somehow came off as being better built (pretty sad for the Mercedes and I'm a Benz fan)
SLK's are a hit and miss. I had 3 of the old model, 2 had little or no problems, and 1 is in the shop more than it is on the road. I heard the new models are a hit and miss too, random problems in the Mercedes forums.
Originally Posted by Holson
For those who HAVE driven an S2000 or owner one, what do you think?
Great car. Doesn't feel fast in a straight line, but keep the revs up around the twisties and it can outrun a lot of cars. It's a bit of a twitchy car to drive because letting off at high revs is like pulling the ebrake lightly, bad in mid corner. The later year models, especially the 2.2L cured a lot of the twitchyness. Slap on a supercharger and it's a damn quick car. Slap on a turbo and even modded 951's have to watch out.

I'm picking up a white S2K this week in Seattle . Turbo by next year hehe.

Last edited by rage2; 08-15-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2000s are affectionately known as lawn mowers for the amount of time they spend off the track rather than on .

Seriously fun car if you can wring it out often, otherwise it is a complete dog. The windows are very high, there are no arm rests and the dash is out of an early 90s Prelude. In all I hated it but it looks nice, it is convertible, and it drives fine.

The 350Z is too heavy to be much fun and they must have used a flywheel from a boat because the RPMs rise SO SLOW. It looks great and it probably the nicest luxury sports car you can buy for the money (though I prefer the looks of the sister G35).

If the Z4 wasnt gut wrenching to look at it would be my choice, but I cant forgive the 4th grade proportions of the front end.

If you want serious fun (and dont mind the looks) the last of the M coupes with the 3.2 are incredible to drive. The "clown shoe" is far too much fun to be ignored. It is likely what I buy after I get rid of the 951.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd look at an Evo, fits your price range and is every bit as fun to drive.

Sam
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a used BMW M-Coupe. A good friend of mine has one of these...granted he has alot of money in the suspension (no joke, this car sits literally an inch off the ground). Awsome car, handles like a go-kart, great sound and plenty power. They go for slightly less than your $30k price range. Its looks are subjective, you either love it, hate it, or think its alright.

Personally id stay away from the 350Z as a daily driver. In the time i drove my friends, it was not particuarlly comfortable for sitting in traffic. One thing that really surpised me is how heavy the clutch was. Not to mention rearward visability and blindspots are terrible. That and you get practically no cargo space at all! If you did consider the 350Z, id suggest looking at the G35 instead.

The S2000...yes you guessed it a friend of mine has one. Very cool car, fun to drive. But it feels anemic unless your above 4k rpms. But that dosent mean its not a fun car!

And yea, my buddy has an Evo. Ive spent alot of time driving this car. Its very cool, great peformance. But it dosent do it for me. Cheap interior is my biggest gripe. That and its a Mitsuibishi, and if you need it serviced you have to deal with a bunch of morons at the dealership (people who leave tools under the hood, take the car for joy rides...etc). Its a car i would drive...but never buy.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:19 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My mate has an S2k. Its a fun modern car... yes you have to rev it over 5k before you get much joy, but that is also half the fun, you think it will blow at 8k, but you rev till 9k easily...the turbo versions are insane really, SFR do a turbo kit I believe.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:21 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a '85.5 944 and an '00 S2000, and I've driven a few 951's as well.
First off, the whole 'the car seems slow' impression is probably valid.......but it's certainly not actually true. It's much quicker than it seems due to the lack of drama the superb chassis allows getting up to speed. The S2000 hauls the mail just fine below the 6000rpm VTEC engagement threshold, and then goes like a raped ape up to 9000 (8200 on the 2.2's I believe). It's actually similar to the 951's I've driven.....wait, wait (still fast but)......there it is
If you ignore the 'ricer' culture and assess the car strictly on its merits, there is little to criticise. How does your first engine service being a plug change at 105K miles sound? How about top up or down in 6 seconds flat? Other than cutting out the resonator so we can actually hear the engine better on rev-matched downshifts, we felt there's no need to change a thing. Yes, you can blow out a clutch or rear end driving it like a '69 Chevelle....but hey that's 944 / 951 stuff anyway, and the gearbox is a world class piece.

Nothing else in the class (short of maybe a used 986S) did it for us!
Brian
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some interesting points here. . .

The nose of the S2000 is really wimpy looking. I mean it SCREAMS lawnmower. Ain't aggressive at all. In fact I actually think the newer Mazdaspeed Miatas are more aggressive looking. . . Okay, maybe not quite - but close. And yes the Z4 nose looks ridiculous too. The side profile is quite nice and I love the rear, but the nose is kind of clownish.

If I could find a good reliable turbo S2000 it'd be hard to say no to - but I also think the M3 is an outstanding vehicle for the money. . . For $15-$20k it'd be an interesting comparison of older Boxster vs. modded (s/c or turbo) S2000, hopped-up Miata, S2 cabrio, or older M. This'd make for some interesting discussion.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Holson
Instructor

Wow, I appreciate the mature replies guys!

The thing is, I'm thinking of leasing an '05 S2000. The lancer evo's out, it's a nice car but if it were to replace a 951, it better look at least half as good looking (to me)

I really didn't know that the S2000's roof goes up and down in 6 secs, that's really neat.

Thing is, at least mine, the 951 is quite sluggish off the line, so i'm sure i'd be used to "rev it to move it" type of driving the S2k might need.

and I am always aware that my 951 might just suddenly break down for whatever reason and it'll cost what the S2000 cost to lease in a year to fix...

regarding the S2000's looks, I think it looks good...
Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The S2000 is a momentum car! Add a turbo or a supercharger and you will have a real fun car. I like the shifter, very crisp. I do not like the cramped interior.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

The newer S2K's have a larger displacement and more bottom end to help drivability. Also, have you considered a couple year old Boxter S, or an STi?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend a little more and buy the Lotus Elise...

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 as Porsche 951 replacement?