Went for a new clutch...

Old 08-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went for a new clutch...

... and got a new engine!

At almost exactly 217'000km, I brought my babe in for a new clutch yesterday as well as to have a look at an oil leak. The mech couldn't believe it, but the clutch-plate looked almost like new! Original thickness is 3mm, and it still had 2mm. :-) It's a silly ball-bearing on another plate that broke. hmmm...

The less funny part is the oil leak. It took the mech a day to find out where it's coming from. And it's bad. The costs for fixing it aren't exactly low (at least CHF 18k). So I'm getting a new engine instead for CHF 27k. That means 2 years warranty, new turbos (one has a slightly bent wing(?)), etc. Since the new engine doesn't include the exhaust and since the current one is in bad shape too (would be a major pain to unscrew and fix), I'm most probably gonna go for a FVD one. Some guy I know has one for sale (like new), and he's making me a very special price... ;-)

So after that, my babe will be ready for the next 200'000km! :-)

And I'll pick something fun next year, probably the 997 GT3. Will of course keep the 996 Turbo as a daily-driver. And yes, as a winter-driver!

But somehow, I would have expected a 911 Turbo engine to last a bit longer than that. And look at the exhaust! Quite a bit of rust here... Anyway, I guess that's how a 5 years old 996 Turbo with 217'000km and a lot of track days is supposed to look like.

Greetings,
--Pierre
Attached Images     
Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow.. keep us posted
Old 08-17-2005, 02:10 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the thrust issues and some of the other things I would say 135K miles is pretty good.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pierre,

Where was the oil leak, if I may ask?

Regards
BD
Old 08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

DB, I'm waiting for a detailed report from my mech. Will of course pass the info.
BTW, I'll probably go see the patient on Friday again, and will try to make some pics to show the problems.
Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Kiko
Racer

Pierre,

As far as I see by your post was the price of eliminating the oil leak that made you buy a new engine otherwise the engine in good condition and would have done a lot more miles, correct?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kiko, that's correct. Beside the oil leak, the engine itself still pulls pretty strong. I easily reached 300km/h this spring in Germany, and top-speed one year ago was 319km/h.Probably still is, but hadn't the opportunity to test it this year.
I re-did the suspension a few weeks ago, so once the new engine is in, the car will be ready for 'a few' more kilometers...
Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 08-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Pierre, you are the mileage king I think!

Can't you sell some of the parts from your current engine to help defray the costs on the replacement? What is the Swiss Franc to the US dollar these days?

Is the engine price a new one?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garey, the price of CHF 27k for the new engine implies that Porsche gets the old one back. I could keep it, but it would cost like CHF 15k-20k. I always had a price of CHF 40-45k in mind for a new GT3 engine (and a bit more for the Turbo's one), so I was very surprised when I got one offered for 27k. But since it's actually a swap, the numbers match pretty well.
As for the current ccy rate, have a look at www.oanda.com (CHF 27k = USD 21.5k).

And no, the engine isn't really new. It's been re-conditionned at Porsche, but the mech told me every single part looks and works like new (maybe even better!). Besides that, it comes with the full Porsche warranty for 2 years, so that's cool. Might go dyno it to check the numbers... FYI, the old one produced 424hp and 591Nm when it had 107'000km.

What bothers me the most is that my mileage world-record for a 996 Turbo will stay at 217'000km only. I definitely will push the car further, but the record won't be totally valid because of the new engine. So I will sit here and wait for the next guy to pass the 200'000km mark!

Greetings,
--Pierre

PS: I'm looking for some pics of an orange GT3... Anyone?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

I think the re-manufactured engine might be BETTER than new myself. I know one person builds the TT and GT2 and GT3 engines in the factory so that is good enough. But they probably take special care on rebuilds, so you've got a good chance for a better motor one would think.

I still think you can keep adding mileage, after all the chassis is still getting the work out. It's like the carpenter said about his hammer when asked how old it was: He said more than 20 years! In that time he had to replace the handle three times and the head four times! ;>)
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boston Duce
Where was the oil leak, if I may ask?
Just realized I haven't answered that yet. Sorry!
So the leak was/is between the cylinder-head and the block, on the right side of it. (Will try to shot some pics next week.)
I've been told it's quite a bit of work to disassemble the engine, fix it, re-assemble it and fine-tune it properly. Hence the high repair price.

BTW, I talked to the chief-mech this afternoon: the new engine should be delivered in 3-4 days, so I could get my babe back next Friday! That's gonna be a loooong week...

Garey, nice story about the hammer! Ok then. I'll keep adding the mileage!

BTW, I just brought the loaner car back. Was a brand new VW Golf 1.6 FSI automatic (tiptronic). What a beast! I think I'm damned. Can't drive a 'normal' car anymore... I just feel out of place. I want my babe baaaaack...

Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pierre...good luck with the new engine. And Garey is right on the button with the Hammer analogy...keep the mileage going!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:03 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pierre,

What grade oil were you using for the 217,000km's ? And how often were the oil changes ?

Great unique history with your 996TT - thanks for sharing. Good luck with the next 200,000km's!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

mo, I only use Mobil1 5W-50. That's what Porsche recommends, so I stick to it. I'm no 'oil change-freak' like some people on this forum. It's been done at the regular service intervals, every 20'000 km. As a sidenote, I always wait for the engine to warm up well before pushing it.

BTW, this leak wasn't really bad (a few drops a day), and it's been stable for about the last 20'000 km. But I somehow felt it now needed to be fixed for once. At this mileage, I didn't want to risk a major blow-up.

Greetings,
--Pierre, counting the days...
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Pierre,

Thanks for the leak location and your contribution! Best if luck with your new engine and your next 200000km.

Regards,
BD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went for a new clutch...