Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
IanS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested as well. Maybe we need an 'x-prize' sort of contest. Whoever gets a 944 turbo with a complete megasquirt system working nicely and tells everyone else how to duplicate their effort, gets $100(or whatever people pitch in)?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money, having the MS buzzing and clicking away will be prize enough. I'm getting some help with tuning my "test engine" tonight, hoping to have it running like a champ by the end of the night. I'll start modifying/replacing my stock harness over Thanksgiving break, probably attempt the first startup around the first of the year.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 PM
IanS
Instructor

Sounds great. I'm excited to watch your progress.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Well, more quirky problems tonight, but its 'so close' now. I had some big help from the guy that wrote the Megatune software, Eric came down to my shop and worked with me and my team for 4-5 hours. We swapped from inductive pickup to coil negative to VR sensor inputs, had trouble with each flavor. Combination of the stock magneto ignition and bit of a wacky VR sensor. I'll have the components needed to use a tried and true hall sensor on Wednesday.

We also diagnosed a pair of plugged injectors (I used the oldest/cruddiest ones for mock up and forgot to swap them back out), as well as fuel that looked like iced tea. Just a couple of stupid simple errors that get passed over when you're working ith a small group of people and not doing it all yourself.

With a steady tach input and functional/combustible fuel setup, we're expecting to hear music on Wednesday night.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:08 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I got the engine started and running last week (or maybe two weeks ago). It sounds awesome. I'm going to try and get some more pictures and videos tomorrow.

Really good news on the MSnS-E code side too! James just released some new alpha code that can decode up to 255 flywheel teeth through software alone! Its still highly experimental, but its possible I'll be able to just throw a VR on my 100 tooth flywheel (on the Briggs) and feed it a cam sync and be done with it. The new alpha code even has COP support for odd-fires up to 6 cylinders! Really some great news.

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=13246
Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's great Dan. Keep us posted on your progres.

When do you think you will get started on the Porsche MS?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I'll start working on the wiring over turkey day break. I expect to fire the car up for the first time during the week between Christmas and New Years. Fortunately I have ~8 vacation days to burn (in addition to the 3 company holidays for Turkey and 6 for Xmas-New Years), so I should have a lot of time to work on things.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, I also just picked up this laptop for in-car tuning...

Its a Panasonic CF-27 Toughbook. P2-333MHz, 192MB RAM, 10 GB HD, cd rom, super drive (LS-120/floppy), 13.3" tft screen. Onboard serial port, 'ruggedized', shock mounted HD and screen, spillproof keyboard, carrying handle. This is the same laptop you'll find in many squad cars and on the battlefield. Should be able to handle whatever I throw at it!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im hoping to have mine ready to go by then too. Just waiting on one last connector shell for my engine harness, and the fiberglass sleeving.

Now if I could get my clutch hydraulics to work and get some other parts ive been waiting on...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I'll give anyone 10:1 odds that Brian starts his car on MS before me. Neither of us are racing to finish, but he's got a lot more of his project sorted out (or even within 300 miles of his home). I'm all for it, cause then he can tell me how to do it!

Good luck man.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is the flywheel sensor conversion box working? Did DarkLightning ever get it built?

I think it would be interesting to use this conversion box with other standalones like the AEM. Hmmmm.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Nope, haven't tested it yet. I *might* test it today.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres one of the ideas I have for installing the MS. The Safeguard is my friends. Im planning it into my install should I decide to add one down the road, and because its a nice sized box, so the space for it should work for almost anything else.

This is orientated as it would be if you just pulled it out. The MS fits perfectly in the smallest area, its like it was designed to mount in 944s! The only hang up as you see is the connector for the serial cable, it causes a lot of wasted space. Im going to get some connectors to make a better setup, then the MS can move more to the right. The terminal blocks are for the harness connections, there will be three stack on top of each other. There shouldnt be any problems getting all this to fit, theres actually a lot of space under there

Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

picture doesnt work btw.i cant wait to run MS!!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:52 PM
AlexE
Pro

Darklightning... (sorry can't find any other way to get a hold of you)

I have been trying to register on your motronic site ...

Getting this error:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

DEBUG MODE

Line : 153
File : smtp.php

p.s. We are working on the divide by N counter .......... but I can't post on your megaquirt section of the site.

p.s Message to Megasquirt users *** If any of you have the TI counter chip.... that dark was selling and you are not using it right now.......I will buy them off you......... The one chip is on back order from digikey and its kinda holding me back.... I am gonna dump whatever it takes into this project to make megasquirt work. It will work. Even if we need to have someone write our own custom code....

Quick Reply: The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)