Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Handsfree Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:42 AM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Handsfree Mod

I have installed the Motorola Bluetooth Car Kit IHF1000. The system works great and has total voice recognition for all commands including dialing. I have the Motorola V600 phone which works great with this kit. I installed the 850 kit in another car and would not recommend it as it does not have voice commands or voice dialing. Spend the extra money for the 1000 kit, I paid about $200 for it on eBay. It is so nice not to have to have your phone handy to make call and not to miss calls while you are listening to the radio.

I think the control module looks great with the interior. I tapped into the wiring for the hands free kit that is located under the center console. I did not use the switched power connection from this wiring harness though. I tapped into the switched power for the radio instead as this stays on when you turn off the ignition until you pull the key out. I also am using the factory stereo speakers for sound. For this I already had the Becker aux in kit which included the input for the phone kit (don't forget to activate the handsfree mode in the setup menu for the radio.) I also used the speaker level output from the IHF1000 as it was very hard to hear using the line level outputs.

Here are some pics of the install. I had seen a number of others have installed in the ashtray, but I have the non-smokers tray installed and like to use that to set things in, so I opted for the batwing location. I think the control module also looks good with the silver on the shifter boot and e-brake. Here are the pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice job. Once I get a bluetooth phone, I might get this installed.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Niclas P
Track Day

I recently bought a 996 C4 -99 which have the factory installed phone preparation. The car is currently equipped with a cradle for an old Nokia telephone. Does anyone know what is the components supplied with the factory installed phone preparation? and if there is any kit which is available to replace the phone cradle which a bluetooth connector to use between my current, bluetooth equipped, cell phone and the car preparation in the car.

Regards,

Niclas
Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like the fact that these don't have a display which would make operation more fool proof.

Niclas P - I think you are asking what krisd did. Porsche doesn't have a bluetooth kit but you can follow what krisd did. Parrott, Moto, Nokia BT kits are all available.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
krisd
Instructor

Originally Posted by djantlive
I don't like the fact that these don't have a display which would make operation more fool proof.

Niclas P - I think you are asking what krisd did. Porsche doesn't have a bluetooth kit but you can follow what krisd did. Parrott, Moto, Nokia BT kits are all available.

I thought the same thing until I used it. I was originally planning on one with a display for that very reason. When using voice dialing you simply say the number "415-555-1234" it will repeat the number back and then you say dial. You can also say the number just as you would in conversation and it works great. Also, when I receive a call prior to a ring it will say "Call from 415-555-1234" or if the name is stored in the voice dial "Call from Joe" as an example. I was amazed at how accurate this thing is.

I mounted the microphone next to the dome light.

Best thing is it works great with both my phone and my wife's. Also, if I change phones, as long as it is bluetooth, there is nothing I will have to do.

Kris
Old 08-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Niclas P
Track Day

OK. I had a deep dive behind the panel yesterday evening to see what the cables from the cradle were connected to, and there I found a Nokia HFU-2 unit, connected with all cables for the stereo mute, microphone, speaker, etc. If I look at the HFU-2 unit and the current Nokia HF systems with bluetooth they look very much the same (anyone who has a manual for the HFU-2 unit with the wiring ?) and it should just be to swap the HFU-2 unit to a new with bluetooth and to get rid of the phone cradle.

Regards,

Niclas
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 PM
krisd
Instructor

You can also use the same wires for the Motorola unit. I have not used the Nokia bluetooth unit, but have used others without the voice recognition. I would never go back to one without the voice recognition after using one.

Since all of the wires are already handy it shouldn't take you more than about 30 minutes to install any bluetooth unit to what you have.

Good luck with your install.

Kris

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Handsfree Mod