Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 AM
grsilvia1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor

Hello everyone,

My question pertains to the TPS on my 1990 C2 Tiptronic. Is the WOT sensor built into the TPS? There is a microswitch in the TPS that, in it's current configuration, is engaged at idle. There is also a stand alone idle microswitch separate from the TPS. Could both of these microswitches provide some input for a proper idle? Is ther any troubleshooting I can do with the TPS?

The idle has been irregular (very low when coming to a stop, then recovers after a few seconds) for quite some time now and I've been using the huge amount of info here to systematically work my way through troubleshooting. So far, I've replaced a bad coil which has helped a great deal. Also, I'll be replacing the spark plugs (Bosch FR5DTC) along with a set of Magnecor wires (the current wires appear to be the originals).

Side note, the distributor belt is OK. I've removed and cleaned the MAF and ISV. No vacuum leaks that I could find.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Gary
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

On the 964, the DME unit is only affected by the throttle valve switches as inputs
to pins 52 & 53, 52 being the idle switch & 53 being WOT.

On Tiptronic vehicles, a TPS unit and an idle switch is used with a WOT switch being integrated
into the TPS unit. Both the idle switch & the WOT switch function as on the non-Tiptonic vehicle
only affecting the DME unit. The actual TPS provides load info to the Tiptronic unit.

So, if you're having an idle problem, it's the idle switch which affects it & not the TPS.
The idle switch should not "open" until about a 3-5mm movement of the throttle linkage.
A dirty idle valve will affect idle undershoot & recovery. As noted on this forum, lightened
flywheels significantly affect idle undershoot. Unless your engine has been modified,
it doesn't have a MAF but only an AFM. You need to make sure that both ignition
units are working properly by disconnecting one at a time.

For additional info, check here ( www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm ).
Old 09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
grsilvia1
Track Day

Loren,

Thank you for your reply.

I've tested both primary and secondary ignition systems and both function.

My confusion is with the TPS. The microswitch in the TPS is only activated at idle. If this switch is the WOT microswitch then maybe I have an incorrect part. The TPS can only be installed one way, with a little room for adjustment and it has been on the car since I bought it in 2001 (idle was good until recently).

Attached pics show TPS with the microswitch in question, labeled B3. One image is with the throttle at idle (microswitch engaged) the other is at WOT (no microswitch engagement).

If this is the WOT microswitch and it is only engaged at idle, should I disable it?

Gary
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2005, 03:54 PM
grsilvia1
Track Day

I should have added, the top image is at idle and the bottom image is at WOT.

Gary
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to just test the switch functions at the DME connector, i.e. pins 52 & 53,
using an ohmmeter. This will "tell" the real story!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
On the 964, the DME unit is only affected by the throttle valve switches as inputs
to pins 52 & 53, 52 being the idle switch & 53 being WOT.

On Tiptronic vehicles, a TPS unit and an idle switch is used with a WOT switch being integrated
into the TPS unit. Both the idle switch & the WOT switch function as on the non-Tiptonic vehicle
only affecting the DME unit. The actual TPS provides load info to the Tiptronic unit.

So, if you're having an idle problem, it's the idle switch which affects it & not the TPS.
The idle switch should not "open" until about a 3-5mm movement of the throttle linkage.
A dirty idle valve will affect idle undershoot & recovery. As noted on this forum, lightened
flywheels significantly affect idle undershoot. Unless your engine has been modified,
it doesn't have a MAF but only an AFM. You need to make sure that both ignition
units are working properly by disconnecting one at a time.

For additional info, check here ( www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm ).
So on a tiptronic car - there is a provision for the WOT signal to be transmitted to the DME - it's just not switch activated as it is on a non-tip car?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I figured out that by holdin my microswitch closed the car idled perfectly had a knowledgable mechanic adjust the cable and it idles perfectly (with lw flywheel)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

is this black plug the TPS plug? has 3 pins inside and is just below the ISV. Thanks!
ps - is the throttle microswitch (mentioned above) the black rectangular plastic piece that holds the end of the
engine end of throttle cable? Just trying to work out what is missing/disconnected on my
modifiied 3.8L with fuel mgmt system whic is idling at 1.8k. ISV is now clean but didn't help.
Fuel Mgmt system has 7 wires - ie for the 6 injectors and the timing, everything else is on the Motronic.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Whoever installed your Diktator system removed the stock idle and WOT switches from the throttle body and fitted a variable resistor TPS unit, hence by inference the Motronic ECU will no longer have an input at 0% throttle which is required to instruct the ecu and enable the idle valve function. Check this with an eletrical meter as Loren explained above; if the idle signal is missing you could temporarily wire in a loop wire to simlate the switch and check the idle function of the Motronic ECU and idle valve, if that all works the answer is to work out a way of re-installing the idle switch in addition to the TPS.

Originally Posted by HiWind
is this black plug the TPS plug? has 3 pins inside and is just below the ISV. Thanks!
ps - is the throttle microswitch (mentioned above) the black rectangular plastic piece that holds the end of the
engine end of throttle cable? Just trying to work out what is missing/disconnected on my
modifiied 3.8L with fuel mgmt system whic is idling at 1.8k. ISV is now clean but didn't help.
Fuel Mgmt system has 7 wires - ie for the 6 injectors and the timing, everything else is on the Motronic.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks Colin! Starting to make sense now. I also don't have an AFM - needed? APologies for another q
but I'll check as you suggest and then worry about that
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grsilvia1
Hello everyone,

The idle has been irregular (very low when coming to a stop, then recovers after a few seconds) for quite some time now and I've been using the huge amount of info here to systematically work my way through troubleshooting.

Gary
I had similar issue and eventually moved the sweep arms out slightly to find new tracks. no issues now.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
HiWind
Race Car

^^Hey Steve - do you mean sweep arms in the TPS?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clarification, I moved the sweep arms in the air flow sensor box
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Right - there's a DIY on YouTube - but I don't even have one ATM
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
thanks Colin! Starting to make sense now. I also don't have an AFM - needed? APologies for another q
but I'll check as you suggest and then worry about that
No, you do not need the AFM. The reason why you have a TPS fitted is because the Diktator box controls the fuel injectors using an Alpha-N table, Alpha being the Y-axix for throttle angle (0-100%) and N is engine rpm on the X-axis. I don't know the Diktator system at all, so unless you also have an air temperature (AT) and/or manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors wired in, one can only assume that the system does not run any form of compensation tables for air temperature or pressure. If so, it's not very big and it's definitely not very clever....

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor