996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Compartment Fan

Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Fan

Anyone have a DIY for cabin switch for engine compartment fan?

Thx...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Radiator Fan and Engine Compartment Fan Switch Mod

The 3.4 996 runs extremely hot when driving around town in temperatures higher than 75 degrees. This mod is a way to reduce coolant temps back to a safer level, helping to reduce oil temps and improving performance.

The mod consists of installing a switch that will allow you to turn on the high speed radiator fans at any time, while maintaining the automatic operation of the fans. We do the same for the engine compartment fan.

Radiator Fans

Connect a wire to the ground of the 2 high speed fan relays located on the relay carrier located in the driver’s side foot well. The relays are #20 and #22. Feed this wire to where your switch will be located. Connect the wire to one side of the switch. Connect another wire from the other contact on the switch and then connect the other end of this wire to a chassis ground point.

With key on, this switch will now immediately turn on both radiator fans providing maximum cooling. When you turn the key off, the fans will continue to run for about 5 seconds until the relay shuts down. Your fan operation remains normal when the switch is off.

Engine Compartment Fan

Connect a wire to the ground of the relay located in the relay carrier behind the passenger seat, driver’s side. Relay #8. . Feed this wire to where your switch will be located. I simply fed the wire along the driver’s side of the car and under the door sill. Connect the wire to one side of the switch. Connect another wire from the other contact on the switch and connect the other end of this wire to a chassis ground point.

With key on, this switch will now immediately turn on the fan drawing air into the engine compartment. When you turn the key off, the fan will continue to run for about 5 seconds until the relay shuts down. Your fan operation remains normal when the switch is off. This mod helps keep the engine compartment much cooler when driving around town and is particularly beneficial to any engine that draws its intake air from inside the engine compartment, such as the EVO SC.

If you are adventurous, you can automate the operation of these switches so they will switch off at a specific speed, or operate when vacuum is present only, etc. You can choose any style switch you want and even use Porsche switches. I simply used 2 toggle switches that I installed in the batwing,

Jim
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=1999Porsche911]Radiator Fan and Engine Compartment Fan Switch Mod

Thx Jim...apreciate it much. Will tackle this weekend.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 PM
mass
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I jump in here please... a newbie to this site. , I have just acquired a new, (to me) 2000 996 Cab, tiptronic. I too would like to carry out this mod seems pretty straightforward and sensible, living in Florida. Do you know of a Porsche switch that would fit right into one of the blank switch banks. I have been trawling over this site trying to find a part number for a Porsche on/off. Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mass
Can I jump in here please... a newbie to this site. , I have just acquired a new, (to me) 2000 996 Cab, tiptronic. I too would like to carry out this mod seems pretty straightforward and sensible, living in Florida. Do you know of a Porsche switch that would fit right into one of the blank switch banks. I have been trawling over this site trying to find a part number for a Porsche on/off. Thanks

I did not use a POrsche switch, alyhough that would make it a much better looking install. I simply installed after market switches into the batwing. I may get a couple of Porsche switches and install then over the winter.

I have not looked into which ones are available yet, but I hope to get 2 switches that will also have a light on them (like the TCS). If you go to the dealer, tell them what you are doing and they should be able to show you a list of available switches. Then if you have any blank switch locations, install them there. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

hey welcome newbie.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the site...

There is no specific "on/off" switch that I know of...they all go on and off...and there are many to choose from. I've used two switches so far for my mods. One is a wing switch that has a little logo of the spoiler on it...I used it for the spoiler deploy switch mounted on the console now rather than the driver's side kick panel. The part number for that one is: 996-613-155-00-A02 and I am using the footwell lighting switch for the fan mod. this one has a little picture of a light that is emitting rays. The part number for that one is 996-613-980-00. Both are available at your friendly porsche dealer or over here at Sunset for about $30.00. Both are tip switches that light up. Don't forget to specify if your switches are flat or glossey in finish...good luck with your mod.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:44 PM
mass
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks people for the quick reponse. sunset will be getting a call tomorrow. Hey Spikes, nothing better to with your time?? You know will be here this weekend helping me do this mod (amongst others....)
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Anyone have a DIY for cabin switch for engine compartment fan?

Thx...
Jim - Didn't you know that a Clear Bra will make your car run 25 degrees cooler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Fan