Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best $15 I've ever spent, and it's loud!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Best $15 I've ever spent, and it's loud!

Maybe I should look into the playing cards against spokes on my bicycle, too, but for $15 at Pep Boys I got muffler bypass pipes and installed them today. They are loud and rough looking, but it's the best $15 I've spent in a looong time. I'd love to claim credit for this find, but the guy with that credit is HERE. . The thread is worth the read.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:55 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Muffler bypass pipes are so loud. Too loud for the streets. They're great for the track though.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

It's a matter of personal preference, no question. They are loud, but I don't think they are louder than the carbon fiber silencers on my Ducati. The beauty of this is that those interested in the very pretty Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes can find out cheaply whether they are too loud for them. I'm not sure what I think, yet. I may make it a track day change, or I might just put my mufflers back on. I do think it's nifty to be able to hear bypass pipes on my car with how I drive before springing for the Fabspeed items.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid-America Motorwerks is selling a set that look just like the Fabspeed pipes but are $299.95. Still expensive for what you're getting but a good bit cheaper nonetheless. I bought some used Fabspeed units and am very happy with them for track use.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
sknandigam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

smart!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Started the car in the garage this morning for the first time since Sunday. The loudness of the exhaust scared me! After the car warmed up, though, the sound was much more subdued and I enjoyed the music on the way to the dealer for an annual inspection. Too bad, but the state requires mufflers, so I have to make a return trip.

Unless the group I'm driving with at Pocono this weekend objects, I'll leave the mufflers off until next week, and then probably put them back on until my November track date with PCA. I know THEY tolerate loud (lout?) pipes...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Bill911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I start my car up for the first time with the pipes the sound is really rough too. But if you shut the car off and start it up again the sound is much better.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Last weekend I was at Summit Point. Several people noted how good the Pep Boys pipes sound on my car, but the mufflers are going on until the next track day in the spring. For track use only, I think the Pep Boys parts have a fine, fitting appearance, and the price is certainly right.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM
GT3 Rob
Advanced

I had the Fabspeed bypass on my old GT3, fantastic sound.. once you get used to it, also started to get a few pops and bangs on overun.

Interesting re using them on the track, stipulations about excessive dbs at most track in the UK, prevented me using them on a regular basis.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of track days using the pipes, but tbh did not like the excessive noise on track.

With a stock exhaust, you can hear what is going on around you,and also when the tyre grip is on the edge, as the tyre starts to squeal.. this is a good indicator as to when you are on the limit, and is totally lost with the bypass pipes.!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Euro RS
Intermediate

Guys - I've just installed the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes on my GT3 Clubsport race car and I can tell you that any throttle input above 2500 RPM and the car is simply too loud for the street. It is indeed as loud as a GT3 Cup and the more you open the throttle the more deafening it gets. Intimidating sound for the track? -- definitely. Practical for street? -- no way. Even for tracks with decibal restrictions you'll probably have to change back to a free flow racing/sport muffler set. The bypasses sound really cool at first, but living with them every day on the street would be difficult and I can guarantee if you live in a good neighborhood your neighbors will be calling the police or your homeowners association to complain every time you pull out of your garage.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

For a few bucks and a few minutes work you can hear for yourself on your car.

The pipes are loud, fun on the track, but maybe not really suitable for every day. With my Ducati and its carbon fiber silencers I can push up the driveway and coast a good two blocks before firing it up. With the GT3 I don't have that option and there is a neighbor issue with these pipes. Not good for early Sunday drives....

Quick Reply: Best $15 I've ever spent, and it's loud!