Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iceshark light kits - a way to resume production

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Iceshark light kits - a way to resume production

I've been thinking a bit more about my comment reagrding someone else picking up production of the Iceshark kits, and may have found a solution.
I just spoke with a local well known guitar amp builder who uses an assembly house to build his amps. They're located here: http://www.aaronelectronics.com

If anyone has extensive knowledge about how Dan put these kits together, and if the family knows who his parts suppliers were, it should be possible to provide a sample kits and supplies and have this assembly house do all the manufacturing. Production can resume, and Dan's family can benefit.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be awesome if it were at the same level of quality!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Two things, first blueS2, that is one awesomelooking car. Second, for those of us new here, could we have a little history on IceShark? From all that I have seen lately, he seemed like a great guy. I see his name pop up on mods, especially those of the electrical nature. Was he a pioneer of sorts? Thanks, and no harm intended to his memory.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceshark built and produced both Electrical and lighting upgrades for the 944. Since the stock lighting and electrical system on these cars leave a lot to be desired his upgraded lighting system and upgraded wiring harness was greatly appreciated by many. That and his build quality for second to none.
Search the archives and you will find a lot of information about him and his products.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I am currently running down suppliers for the battery cables since I did not buy them when available from Ice shark. I purchased my Light kit from Jake and the supplemental ground made such a difference in the rest of the car that I want to change my battery cables out with some duplicating his design. I have suppliers for everything except the 4 guage 600v welding cable at a decent price. As soon as a I find the 4 guage at a decent price I will make a set of cables for my car. I will then attempt to duplicate the light kit harness for my other car. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to princess auto for all of my welding cable. I used #1 for the battery wiring, and #2 for the alternator. Yes I know it's overkill, but there is no measurable voltage drop
Old 01-01-2006, 01:35 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I'm in the process of trying to find away to make the connectors. The other parts of the light kit are pretty inexpensive and easy to find... if someone knows where to get the connectors contact me and we'll see if we can get together
Old 01-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Zero10
Race Car

I recall hearing that it's the inline fuses that are really expensive and tricky to source. Might want to set some time aside to search for those as well.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:32 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
I recall hearing that it's the inline fuses that are really expensive and tricky to source. Might want to set some time aside to search for those as well.
I've spent the last seven years sourcing parts for my company. I have found the most impossible to find things. Things that are kept so top-secret by other companies that do the same type of work. Things that there isn't even a name for.
If I know what it is, or if it's out there, I can find it. And usually, a direct source, as well.

There is only one thing that continues to elude me: A proper replacement for a 3M epectrical tape that was discontinued years ago. 3M #4 flatback paper electrical tape in black. Only one company has the information, and they're not telling.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:38 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Matter of fact, here's a couple fuse manufacturers:
http://www.cooperbussmann.com/
http://www.fusecoinc.com/
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 AM
n9013c
AutoX

Add this to the source list: www.waytekwire.com

They sell fuses, fuse blocks, wire, battery connectors, sheathing, heat shrink. etc. etc. etc.

I don't work there or anything, but they sent me their catologue, and I started drooling.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Zero10
Race Car

What about connectors for the H4's, so that it's just a plug-and-play installation?
I know you said you can find anything, I just thought I would mention the things that he told me were very hard to find.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:07 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
What about connectors for the H4's, so that it's just a plug-and-play installation?
I know you said you can find anything, I just thought I would mention the things that he told me were very hard to find.
What kind of connectors are they? Like these ones?
Here's some H4 connnectors for $6.

I think this is this the place that makes the H4 bulbs? Mind you, I've never seen one of these bulbs before. Oh my, those are pricey.
http://piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

I think This Chinese place also makes an H4 style bulb. CHeck them out here

I would imagine that if PIAA is the correct maker of the H4 lights, they'd be or know the best source for the connectors.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:24 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Or are they Hella?

If they are Hella bulbs...Hella's regional HQ is located here:
43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd.
Plymouth Twp., MI 48170 USA
Old 01-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Zero10
Race Car

The bulbs he sold weren't cheap, IIRC $30-$40/set. I think they may have been from piaa.
The connectors I was referring to were the male H4 connectors. I have not been able to find anything locally when I attempted to make my own headlight upgrade kit. That is pretty good finding that site!
The connectors are less important. The only thing is to buy the kit, not the pigtailed setup, as it is complete with #18 wire, which we all know is a little on the small side. #14 would be nice.
What the heck are you doing up at this hour anyways? wait, it's only 2:30 in your time zone.

Quick Reply: Iceshark light kits - a way to resume production