Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo S - Track Time!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo S - Track Time!

Took the CT S to the track yesterday; despite repeated statements by officials about having to be extremely careful driving it - too top heavy, wrong tires, did I know how to drive, etc., it was fully my intent to run with the rest of the twin turbos, tracked modified SCs, and normal 996s. I had to replicate the fun I had in one at Barber Motorsports/Porsche Driving Experience.

Briefly, the vehicle performed very capably on the track: pretty good turn in (not particularly sensitive), moderate amounts of body roll (despite the low ride height setting + lowering module + sport shock setting), pretty significant amounts of understeer, pretty responsive tiptronic/manual mode, good brakes. Very good balance through sweeping turns, very good acceleration (power and torque) coming out of turns, and decent ability to balance the car through modulating the throttle. Lots of tire noise around tight corners. Hit 100 mph at the end of the straights (compared to 125mph in a GT2/GT3). Never triggered the PSM or ABS even though I tried to. I started drifting the car around corners during the second session - great fun!!!

The best fun was keeping up (and passing) the twin turbos and race-prepped SCs. Can't imagine what those guys were thinking when they continued to look in their rear view mirrors and have an SUV following. The car isn't top heavy and unmanageable for the track (despite its girth, weight and people's general perceptions).

All in all - great fun. Wish I had a baby-seat in the rear and had taken dirt roads to get to the track: that would have made the entire track day experience incredible!!

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by thusly; 03-05-2006 at 09:45 PM. Reason: grammatical
Old 03-05-2006, 03:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been interesting to observe PCA and the local regions regarding Cayenne's and DE.
Some regions have setup 'Cayenne only' run groups, out of concern over visibility from the following car(s)....not being able to see 'thru or around' the car for traffic/incidents/track workers/flags, concerns of a Cayenne being involved in an incident with a smaller car (i.e. 914) and general track worthiness (accelerated brake wear).
Read a story on the web about a Cayenne being rolled at an Autocross one time.
Other regions simply do not allow Cayennes to participate; this does go somewhat against the PCA DE philosophy (although I'm not sure they'd allow a Porsche tractor to participate, just because it's a 'Porsche'.

I've watched a few Cayennes lap Lime Rock and Watkins Glen at lunchtime with instructors, looks interesting the first time you see 4 helmets pass the pits.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:06 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Barbers - four of us with helmets running around the track - that is funny!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the truck is very trackable! I have been out with the BMW club here in the wet and it is the fastest truck-oops car on the track. I utilized the computer COMPLETELY in the wet. ABS, PSM were all involved in keeping on the pavement! There were some high HP track cars out there that could not get the power down, whereas the truck was a blast. I would assume that any 4 wheel drive Porsche in the right hands would have given me a test, but on that day the truck was king.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:38 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 530 Posts

Last summer when we were at a SCCA race at Road America, my boys (19 and 22) took the Cayenne S we used to tow our spec Miata up there, out a lunch lapping session. It did remarkedly well with suspension in low setting (no lowering module) but I was glad the tires were already about shot! I think a few people were surprised to see a big SUV come flying up behind them...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I can actually attest to those statements since I witnessed it first hand . I was out at the track this weekend and was in the same run group with your CTTS. I was very impressed to see it out there and the ability of the truck. I might even have some video of the laps with your TT in it but I haven't watched back my in car video yet. Sure it isn't a 911 but you can tell it was PURE PORSCHE. The acceleration and the handling was a sight you had to see first hand.

Great time at the track and PERFECT weather. High 50's to low 60s and sunny.

FYI...I was in the arena red 996 (pictured below plus that beauty of a CGT!).
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I'm amazed you didn't get the PSM to go off at all! My last time at Streets of Willow in my 987S I had it going off in most of the faster corners, which was annoying...most of the time I have it off, as I like being able to use a bit of power steer or kicking the tail out to help

Last edited by schvetkaaks; 03-06-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Trackday.Net
1st Gear

Last edited by Trackday.Net; 03-22-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:57 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Those photos are fantastic! You can see the instructors/passengers looking in the rear view mirrors
Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 AM
charlieXS
Pro

side note... appears that teh CTT is running 275/40 in the front and 295/40's in the rear...
Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
side note... appears that teh CTT is running 275/40 in the front and 295/40's in the rear...

Nope that's the same size tires, the CTTS runs 20 X10 in the rear...which is now avialable on the technos....
Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 AM
charlieXS
Pro

strange... they look taller.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Those photos are fantastic! You can see the instructors/passengers looking in the rear view mirrors
I LOVE the pictures of the instructors staring in the rear view mirrors. WTF!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
lol... that CTT would cast a big shadow on the 911... but TBH, it simply looks like they're looking at the upcoming turn, not the RV Mirror.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would argue that they were looking ahead to the apex cone rather than the CTT. But it does make for a great caption. Regardless, it was a great addition to the lineup in the grid and on the track. It is nice to see something other than the usual suspects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo S - Track Time!