Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replaced DME Relay - Still No Start

Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
dmettler
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced DME Relay - Still No Start

Hi All, I am having a problem with my '85 Carrera starting. The problem started a while back. I started having intermittent problems starting, I would crank the engine a bit then it would start after trying a bit. It slowly got worse, now it does not start at all. After reading other post and trouble shooting documents I replaced the DME Fuel Relay, no luck. I tested for spark this weekend and there was none. I have read that 3.2 coils rarely go bad. Two questions, what is the best way to test the coil (is there some documentation out there)? Second what path should I follow to trouble shot this issue? Could it still be related to the DME? Could corroded grounding wires cause the problem? What about a distributor cap or all the parts inside? I would like to test all this stuff but don't know how - kind of new to working on the car myself.

Any advice would be great. I want to do a little more digging before I call the tow truck and go to the mechanic.

Thanks,
Don

-----------------------------
'85 3.2 Carrera
'98 Volvo S70 T5
Old 03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Read this info ( www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm ) for a basic troubleshooting guide.

Basic 3.2 diagnostics:

1. no spark or fuel injectors
a. pickup sensors
b. main DME ECM powers
3. DME relay

2. no spark but fuel injectors
a. bad DME ECM
b. bad coil
c. bad coil power

3. spark but no fuel injectors
a. bad DME relay
b. bad wiring
c. bad DME ECM
Old 03-13-2006, 03:25 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and after touch-up most solder join on CPU box, car work fine ever
since. If some one can loan their CPU box to you, you can isolate the issue by swapping the CPU and see if the car could start

TC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced DME Relay - Still No Start