Sponsored by:

iPod Connector Porsche OEM Available APRIL 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 05:42 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Connector Porsche OEM Available APRIL 2006

Someone over on Rennteam (and he's a straight up guy...had many PM's with him over a different topic) is claiming that a Porsche OEM Ipod connection is coming next month.....Anyone care to comment? Lewis

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=0#205409

OMG could there finally be an ipod solution.....Sucks for Dension, but then again they've kept us hanging for years (literally) & when I contacted them @ 3 weeks ago, I got the old line of we won't have a product any time soon....Which is odd because 2 weeks prior to that call, they told me it had been released for manufacture....hmmm!
Old 03-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

It would be nice to be able to get the "MOST" out of our iPods!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn - connect my ipod to the car? I have 60gigs of Apple Lossless music on there - I would never leave the car!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:11 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Perhaps the OEM solution is the Dension hardware? I doubt they completed separate projects at nearly the same time but who knows...
Old 03-19-2006, 05:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

yeah skeptical
Old 03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
.....Anyone care to comment? Lewis !
Yes.

FWIW, PAG took a different approach to iPod integration compared to others(VAG, BMW, et al). PAG decided to place the iPod adapter directly onto the MOST ring as a discrete device/address/node.......everyone else decided to attach the iPod directly to the headunit. PAG's took a bit longer to integrate/validate with both MOST infotainment platforms (955 vs 9x7).
There will likely be a S/W update to the PCM to add the iPod HMI...the H/W install is fairly straightforward.

(I designed both and sort of prefer the MOST implementation for various reasons).
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Lewis
Because the adapter isn't trying to 'mimic' being a cd changer, does that mean it will have better functionality.....I have a Dension kit on my BMW X5, and it's not very good at handling playlists (allows 6 of them as if it were a 6 disc changer), and general navigation of the ipod's file structure is poor, which is a shame because like the pcm, the BMW has plenty of twirly ***** (highly technical term....hope I didn't lose ya there!) that would have done a good job of imitating the ipod 'click wheel'.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one got my April 1 joke.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
Lewis,
Because the adapter isn't trying to 'mimic' being a cd changer, does that mean it will have better functionality.....
Yes and No.
The 'docking' connector on an iPod has many pins/features (revealed by Apple once you sign agreements, agree to licensing fees, royalties on each unit shipped....not a small % BTW); one is a UART connection.
The UART handles command/control/status, so you can pass list information, etc from the iPod, over MOST (22Mb/s is PLENTY for this ) and to the headunit for display via the HMI....all a function on how the PCM's HMI is ultimately configured/designed (how often to pull data over the UART, how much, how fast the iPod can download the info, how much time a human is willing to wait for updates...people typically have 3-4 seconds of 'patience' before they think something is wrong....re: the elevator button experiment in human factors design)

PAG made a decision a while back to 'decouple' the introduction of infotainment devices from new car releases; previously, they would release everything at the same time (e.g. Cayenne with MOST with Centerpoint surround processing).
The only decision left at PAG is when to release the iPod integration as an AfterSales item and on which vehicles first (9x7 or 955). It has been 'shown' on a 997TT to date.....oh yeah, and exactly how much to charge (marketing ALWAYS has the final say on everything at PAG)
It's coming, those who want it will just have to be a bit more patient.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

I love music, but the music is off when I drive! Nothing sounds as good as that flat six and it sounds even better as it races to red line.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
PAG made a decision a while back to 'decouple' the introduction of infotainment devices from new car releases; previously, they would release everything at the same time (e.g. Cayenne with MOST with Centerpoint surround processing).

I've asked this before, but why o why?

Like we're not going to buy (or not buy) a 997 due to the infotainment device? Where is PAG getting their US marketing info from? Looking at this board (a good cross section of Porsche enthusiasts) most of us are tech nerds or enthusiasts or early adopters to some degree who would love to get our hands on this stuff as soon as it comes out (or at least have the option to).

OK, another guess. It has to do with co-branding agreements and money, and the guess here is that PAG is asking Apple +/- XM +/- Sirius for too much $$$ at this point to make it happen immediately in the 911. What electronics marketing director wouldn't die for the chance to have their infotainment as the "Porsche OEM standard"?

PAG probably looked at BMWs ipod agreement as a template, held up their Germanic noses, and said "we're worth more."

Hopefully, the ipod connector is reality. Engineering and customer satisfaction and demand has hopefully trumped co-marketing $$$ in this case...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
There will likely be a S/W update to the PCM to add the iPod HMI...the H/W install is fairly straightforward.
Does that mean that the ipod adapter will be connected to the prewired cdc4 plug?

Quick Reply: iPod Connector Porsche OEM Available APRIL 2006