Sponsored by:

Top wpnt go down

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
portang
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Top wpnt go down

Hi everyone, first time, post here looks like a great place if you own a Porsche. I have a few questions. We just got a 2000 Boxer, low miles 21,000, but the top wont go down? is this a common thing for these? what are some things that would do this? Bad relay? I do know that the switch in the E break was replaced, so thats good, but witch relay controls the top? Also i have found that you cant get to the engine without the top down. And that panel in back to flip up? How does it go up? so i can access the engine? The reason i ask is because it is due for an oil change. Is there anything special you need for an oil change, have heard that you have to have some special filter wrench? is that true? Guess that will be enough for know, these are really great little cars Any suggestions would be great Thanks Heath
Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Do you have the hand brake up, and the brake indicator light is on, on the dash????
Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Do you have an owner’s manual? Directions for accessing the top of the engine are in there. But your right, you have to get the top working first. I do not think you need to get to the top of the engine to change the oil (I’ve only had mine for four weeks now). Filter and drain plug access is from below and you can fill it via the oil cap in the trunk.

As Todd mentioned, with the ignition on, ensure that the parking brake light comes on when engaged. My parking brake switch was fine too but the connection came loose, reseated the plug and all is well.

I have read the Top relay is the big relay box, mostly covered by a white label with a black arrow, located up under the drivers side foot-well. Also check the fuse. Beyond that other more experienced members may have some suggestions.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:36 AM
portang
6th Gear

Ok thank you guys, I just went out and double checked the parking break does go on, so that looks good. Yes I have an owner’s manual and you are right, it says how to get to the top of the engine, thanks. And yes I guess I don’t have to have access to change oil and filter. But the top still doesn’t work so, so I guess I need to check the relay and fuse now, witch fuse is for the top? And is there a way to test the relay other than getting another one and putting it in? Thanks Heath
Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search the archives at ppbb.com that is a VERY focused boxster forum.

almost ever question has been answered a dozen times over - over there.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 AM
portang
6th Gear

ok thanks i will check that out, thanks for the heads up. I had arother question about the ignition, when i turn the key to the first position nothing happenes, only if i turn further to the second position, do things light up. Is this normal for these cars? Or is these something wrong with my ignition switch? Thanks Heath

Quick Reply: Top wpnt go down