Sponsored by:

LWF in a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LWF in a GT3

I'm considering adding a LWF to my 05 GT3, and a crankcase vent. I'm looking for improved throttle response. Anyone do these mods. Impressions/comments would be appreciated.

TIA

Lar
Old 04-30-2006, 10:41 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have installed a number of these. The difference before and after is great. It revs WAY faster. Also the mid range is greatly improved as far as instant throttle response. For the money, it is probably the best mod you can do to the car.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 622 Posts

I looked into it last year. Got mixed response from some guys that had it. It ranged from revs better, no real performance increase., loud and clanky,....I spoke with a couple shops in Atlanta, and both said not to do it.So guys loved it....It was confusing, so I passed.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loud clanky and much faster in 1-2nd and less so in 3rd. You will spool up much faster coming out of 2-3rd gear corners. It is a great mod. Make sure you get the complete set. Pressure plate and all. At the track I pull from the 3 other GT3 without. Where I did not the week prior to the mod.
15less pound spinning around on the end of your engine. The math will tell you that the car it will rev faster.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

LWF with shorter gears 3-6 is the best perf. mod you can make to a GT3. You won't be able to go 190 anymore, but will get from corner to corner a lot faster, which is what this car is all about.

I have a friend who did this and changed all 6 gears and it is awesome!

JCM
Old 04-30-2006, 05:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The loud and clanky sound of the gear box is from the installer not knowing that the best gear oil that almost completely removes the noise is Mobil 1 75W-90. Lots of these guys love to put in Swepco or Redline with a LWF install... WRONG. Mobil 1 is what you want. Again I have installed numerous LWFs in Gt3 and they are all barely noticable that there is a LWF installed.

And if the same car revs faster, doesn't it have to be going faster? Also just the general streetability of the car is nicer. Strange why shops would tell you not to do it. Are these shops that have ever worked on a GT3 with a LWF setup? Not being smart or anything. I have come across shops that say it is a waste, but have never done one. I have many Porsche dealers I talk to that know nothing about these cars as there are so few.

Last edited by viperbob; 04-30-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the replies. Monday I will call my indy porsche repair shop and discuss prices/parts.
Any suggestions as to vendors, brand of parts, approximate costs, down time etc.
Someone suggested only using a RSR crankcase breather seal with the breather valve. I could not find anything on search on these issues.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Bob is 100% correct. LWFW and Motons are money well spent.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
The loud and clanky sound of the gear box is from the installer not knowing that the best gear oil that almost completely removes the noise is Mobil 1 75W-90. Lots of these guys love to put in Swepco or Redline with a LWF install... WRONG. Mobil 1 is what you want. Again I have installed numerous LWFs in Gt3 and they are all barely noticable that there is a LWF installed.

And if the same car revs faster, doesn't it have to be going faster? Also just the general streetability of the car is nicer. Strange why shops would tell you not to do it. Are these shops that have ever worked on a GT3 with a LWF setup? Not being smart or anything. I have come across shops that say it is a waste, but have never done one. I have many Porsche dealers I talk to that know nothing about these cars as there are so few.

Yea, Jim Ellis, and a performance shop in atlanta that does a lot of racing......Not saying its right or wrong, just got so many differing opinions. I passed
Old 04-30-2006, 09:10 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 557 Posts

LWF is a great mod. DO NOT install the crankcase breather. You will have problems. You will have gasket issues and the dealer will blame you.

Just get the LWF and be happy.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Someone suggested only using a RSR crankcase breather seal with the breather valve.
Your MY05 came from the factory with the "updated" RMS so you don't need to replace it if you were to install the 1-way crankcase breather valve. You also don't need to replace the pressure plate.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of you guys reflash to the GT3 RS engine mapping when fitting the LWF? According to Preuninger it has much more aggressive fueling to take advantage of the lower inertia in the engine, so by keeping the stock map I guess you aren't getting the full benefit.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i love mine very noticeable difference comming out of turns... only thing i notice is pulling on my trailer there is a noticeable difference ...do the mod
Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Just did two days at the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point. The weather was superb--temperatures in the upper 60s with mostly bright sun. I had not been back to this track in almost 10 months, but it was much the same. A few improvements, such as removing some of the wall separating pit-in from the back straight, but otherwise largely the same. What was not the same was my car. I had Toyo RA-1s on for the first time instead of the OEM Pirelli Rosso tires, and they were a bit better, but the big difference has having the lightweight flywheel. In the chute after back straight the car accelerate SOOOOO much faster! In fact, in every 2-3 and 3-4 transition I had to watch the tach closely to avoid getting beyond the power peak and to the rev limiter. I had an instructor for part of the time who drives a 996TT that has been heavily modified. On this relatively tight track (about 2.2 miles) he was blown away by how fast the car was. It was fast before the LWF change, but not as fast. I wish I had dynoed it before and after, but the RMS issue did not permit that. Great to have Porsche pay the labor bill on the change to the LWF, though. (And the RMS is holding, so far, too.) I love the change. The dealer did replace the transmission fluid, and I will do so myself after a few more events, changing to Mobil 1, probably to see if that quiets the gearbox noise, but I rather like the rattling of the transmission. It goes along with the clanking of the full floating front discs. I probably will leave the mufflers on, though, otherwise the exhaust would drown out these happy noises.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Chris. Do not worry, LWFW does nothing to HP in the normal way. It makes the car faster. Someone on this board posted the virtural increase when I was asking about the effects. I think it was 30+ HP in first, 15 in 2nd , 7 3rd.......... do to 1 HP in 6th.
What ever it is, anone that thinks there is no improvment in performance never depressed the skinny pedal. How do you like launching with the wheel turned??? :-) When I pulled out of my driveway the first few times I went down the road sidways...................

Quick Reply: LWF in a GT3