Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 PM
eatiles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what price the fuchs go on ebay??
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by eatiles
For what price the fuchs go on ebay??
in great shape with no scratches or fading the 951 fuchs go for around $1000-1200
Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teamking
Actually, she really doesn't like the CRX, she says it's not "dignified", so maybe there's hope.
How do you like the CRX? I was thinking about getting one as a commuter, maybe convert it to electric at a later point as it's such a light frame.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
How do you like the CRX? I was thinking about getting one as a commuter, maybe convert it to electric at a later point as it's such a light frame.
I had a first generation CRX, and it was a great car! It's kind of hard for me to judge this second generation CRX, as it is fully prepped for STS2. It is nearly undriveable on the street. When I'm driving it to an event, I can only keep my sanity by wearing earplugs.

The one thing that I can say I don't like is the on-center steering feel. For whatever reason, it's pretty vague. I'm going to add some more front toe-out, though, perhaps that will improve it.

But, that said, if the first gen CRX was a great car, the second generation should be even better... it's got a more sophisticated suspension and a stronger motor.

I think it would make a very good commuter car!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 91 Si CRX. Salvage title, looks ok, but runs great. No power steering, but 40 mpg and no maint. needed. Actually got it into a 4w drift once having a little fun in the little go-cart. Prob wont do it again as it is NOT very predictable in that scenerio. Lets just say that I was glad I had recently used the bathrom. LOL. I always have people ask me if I want to sell it, and I mean always. People want these crazy things.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
cotton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you end up parting it out? I just found this thread and read all of it. Hate to see the car parted after all that work. Interesting story too.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM
teamking
Pro

Pictures:
Attached Images          
Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
teamking
Pro

Default It is a sad, sad day

Any hopes of not selling the 951 were dashed when my Toyota (aren't they supposed to be the reliable ones) truck's engine went kablamow to the tune of $4500.

So, I humbly offer it here to Rennlisters first. [It's no longer for sale!] It will also sit out front at work this week with a For Sale sign on it.

It's been a great car and great fun for me to get it back on the road. Truly, the longer I've owned it (and been driving it), the more impressed I've been with it.

I'll start with a quick overview, and follow up with another post with all the details:

The good:
  • Very Strong Motor: only 53,000 miles. I clocked a 0-60 run with an accelerometer-based system at 5.4 seconds. I think if I'd been willing to play around with various launch techniques, I could have done a 5.3 or maybe less. Not bad for a car that is only supposed to do about 6.1.
  • Fuchs. Enough said.
  • Great mechanical condition. Again, only 53,000 miles!

The bad:
  • Ding on front left quarter panel. I have a replacement quarter panel that will come with the car (it's red). There is also damage to the bumper cover, though I think it is repairable.
  • Paint. It's old and the pictures don't do justice to how little it shines.
  • No LSD.
  • A/C is not working.

The possibilities
1. Track car. Pretty much an ideal candidate. Take the great engine and the lightweight rims, find an LSD, install your safety equipment and go racing!

2. Daily driver. It's ready to roll as is.

3. Fix it up. Some body work and paint and this car could be gorgeous!

I'd like to get $5500, but I'm willing to entertain any offers. The car is located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by teamking; 10-03-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: No longer for sale
Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
teamking
Pro

Here is a detailed list of the state of my 1986 951 that is for sale:
  • It needs a new tailpipe, after the muffler.
  • It hasn't been aligned since I replaced the struts.
  • The A/C is not working. Best case is that it needs to be recharged.
  • Front left quarter panel needs to be replaced (I have the replacement).
  • Bumper cover needs to be repaired.
  • Entire car needs paint.
  • Rear hatch carpet is worn.
  • Rear hatch cover is working, but the housing needs to be painted.
  • Rear hatch pins need to be readjusted.
  • Rear hatch should be re-glued to frame as preventative maintenance.
  • Timing belt ready to be retensioned.
  • Replace water pump at the same time.
  • Replace radiator hoses.
  • Camshaft headcover gasket leaking slightly (not worth fixing unless it gets much worse).
  • Steering wheel is worn and could be replaced for aesthetics.
  • Clutch m/c is "sweating".
  • Brake lines are old and should be replaced.
  • Half shafts should be switched to wear in the opposite direction.
  • Heater occasionally swithes to full hot for approximately 20 seconds, then reverts back to the desired setting. This is likely a problem at the control panel.
  • Windshield washer fluid jets clogged on driver's side.
  • Passenger window operation is slow.
  • Fuel guage only goes up to 3/4 when the tank is full
  • Water temp guage occasionally stops operating
  • Stereo is basically non-functional
  • Clock display is sometimes obscured by leaking liquid crystal
  • Rear tires are Bridgestone Potenza S-02's, 225/50/16 92W, with just enough tread to be legal
  • Front tires are Yokohama AVID V4S, 215/55/16 91V, plenty of tread but one is slightly out of round (leading to modest vibration above 65 MPH)
  • Turn signal return doesn't always stop the turn signal after a turn

If it's not on this list, it is working perfectly-- including the power's driver's seat, cruise control, sunroof, headlights, fog lights, interior lights, all exterior indicators, clutch, brakes, power steering, and transaxle.

Last edited by teamking; 06-02-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
teamking
Pro

Here is a quick list of the items I've serviced in the last year:

• Replaced battery
• Replaced timing belt
• Replaced hood dampers
• Replaced accessory belts
• Replaced air filter
• Replaced starter
• Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter
• Replaced cycling valve
• Replaced heater control valve
• Resoldered DME (Computer)
• Bled brakes/clutch
• Replaced windshield wiper motor
• Replaced windshield wipers
• Replaced oil pressure sender
• Replaced CV boot
• Replaced visor clips
• Replaced coolant
• Replaced transmission fluid
• Replaced sunroof mechanism gears
• Replaced sunroof seal
• Replaced rear hatch struts
• Replaced rear hatch pins
• Replaced rear hatch lock grommet
• Replaced cruise control computer
• Replaced front struts
• Replaced rear shocks
• Replaced front left lower control arm ball joint boot
• Greased front sway bar bushings
• Replaced numerous bulbs and relays
• Replaced oil and oil filter
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read your story, interesting reading I must say.

I thought this guy is crazy he will spend a fortune and end up with a headache, well I was wrong BUT I think you were just very lucky.
Ten other guys will try this and loose a heap of money.

I'm glad you did not part it out, this is a die hard which has proved herself, if you were within reach I would buy her just because she deserve to be pampered.

The bad news for you is this was just the beginning you'll be back!!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
I thought this guy is crazy he will spend a fortune and end up with a headache, well I was wrong BUT I think you were just very lucky.
Ten other guys will try this and loose a heap of money.
So, what do you think was crazier, starting on the project, or selling the car now?!?!

I've found myself hoping that no one buys it so that I'll drive the CRX at nationals in September and then sell the CRX instead.

The thing is, I'm usually a very decisive person... but not with this car. I really just don't want to let it go.

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
The bad news for you is this was just the beginning you'll be back!!
Yeah, I think you're probably right. When I think about track cars that I can afford, AND that are driven regularly at the nearby tracks (VIR and Summit Point), it seems to only come down to Spec Miatas, Formula Vee's, and 944/951's. I have zero interest in a Formula Vee. And Spec Miatas just don't do it for me. Especially now that I've been driving the CRX at autocrosses, I've discovered that I got a lot more thrill out of the extra power of the S2000, so that CRX has been a little of a letdown. So, that leaves me looking squarely at a 951 as a perfect track car!

So, I'm selling a 951 why????
Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
So, what do you think was crazier, starting on the project, or selling the car now?!?! Good question, I think selling it, when you started the project you can be excused for not knowing what you were getting in to but this time there's no excuse

I've found myself hoping that no one buys it so that I'll drive the CRX at nationals in September and then sell the CRX instead. Great idea

The thing is, I'm usually a very decisive person... but not with this car. I really just don't want to let it go. That shoul tell you what you need to do

Yeah, I think you're probably right. When I think about track cars that I can afford, AND that are driven regularly at the nearby tracks (VIR and Summit Point), it seems to only come down to Spec Miatas, Formula Vee's, and 944/951's. I have zero interest in a Formula Vee. And Spec Miatas just don't do it for me. Especially now that I've been driving the CRX at autocrosses, I've discovered that I got a lot more thrill out of the extra power of the S2000, so that CRX has been a little of a letdown. So, that leaves me looking squarely at a 951 as a perfect track car!

So, I'm selling a 951 why????
Because you're stupid, you are going to buy another one soon after selling this one and it will never be as special as this one, I doubt you'll be so lucky again either so the next one is going to cost you a bucket full
Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

It's a sad day

If you really want to sell it, it should get its own "for sale thread with a link to this page with the pics, and list it on the rennlist classifieds, too. Not everyone will read this whole thread to get to the "it's now for sale part"

good luck

I'm sure there'll be another 951 in your future, somewhere down the line
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
teamking
Pro

OK folks, I'm back...

I sold the CRX after a 16th place finish at Nationals (out of 33). I'd hoped to finish in the trophies, but just didn't quite have the speed. Lot's of woulda, coulda, shoulda's, but it was a great experience to drive with the big boys. Truly, there are some amazing drivers at the top levels of autocross.

So, I now have the time, inclination, and cash to begin transforming the 951 into a track car!

My goal is to do a number of DE's next year, and perhaps a time trial or two toward the end of 2009 if I'm feeling comfortable and confident. After that, as things progress, I'll target 944 Super Cup for 2010 or 2011. I'm about 2 hours from both VIR and Summit Point, so I plan to spend most, if not all, of my time there. I will also do some autocrosses in the car, realizing that it is not competitve in any class that I'd have it set up for, but mostly just to have fun, familiarize myself with it, and tune the setup.

So here's what I'm thinking as far as winter projects:

#1 Safety:
  • Racing Seat
  • HANS
  • 6-point belts
  • Rollbar
  • Fire Extinguisher

#2 Maintenance:
  • Replace fuel lines
  • Stainless brake lines
  • Rebuild brake calipers
  • replace waterpump
  • replace radiator hoses
  • retension timing belt/balance belt
  • seal rear hatch frame to window (as preventative maintenance)
  • swap half-shafts (to wear them in the opposite direction)
  • fix the tail pipe

#3 Performance:
  • Remove rear interior (wasn't comfy anyway)
  • Remove A/C (didn't work anyway)
  • Remove stereo (didn't work anyway)
  • Tires?
  • Alignment?

I'm very much open to any suggestions/experience that anyone has with any of the above, or anything I left off the list.

As regards tires, my choices of tires sitting in the crawlspace essentially boil down to this: Kumho V710's, 225f/265r, or Bridgestone Potenza S-02's 225 all around (the 225 is nominal, they're really about like 240's). I'm going to choose one or the other of the above to work the kinks out before putting down $800 and finding out that I shoulda gotten something different. I'm afraid that the 225/265 R-Compounds will lead to a very, very pushy car, and also may overwhelm the suspension (it seems to me that this car could really benefit from some stiffer springs/swaybars/shocks. It rolls, dives, and squats alot-- although no more so than any other stock 944s I've observed at autocrosses). On the other hand, running 225 street tires all around may lead to some oversteer (which I think I can handle), but may not tell me as much about where I'm going as the R-Comps. hmm.

The alignment will depend on the tire choice above (more rear toe-in if I go with the zero stagger option), but any suggestions are welcomed.

I'm chomping at the bit to get started, but have to restrain myself a little. We've just ordered a Honda Fit, and it won't be in until November. If someone buys our Odyssey in the meantime, the 951 has to be ready to go back to Daily Driver status for my wife! At least that gives me plenty of time to work out a plan!

Again, any thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Last edited by teamking; 10-03-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: My saga begins: I'm getting my neighbor's 944 Turbo