996 Trans out - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:41 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 Trans out - Help

Good Morning,

A friend and fellow Rennlister moved to Europe recently and took his 1999 996 C2 with him. He has blown 1st, 6th and reverse. He is asking me to send him some parts. Can you buy the individual gears and synchros or do you have to buy the whole transmission. Also on 996s with the LSD can you buy the pressure plates seperately or do you have to buy the whole diff. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You buy the tranny kit. It is a remove and replace process. There are some specialized race shops that open up the tranny and fix it but in Europe your friend would probably be better off getting a remanufactured tranny and having it installed by a dealer. Check out www.carnewal.com for parts.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Can you buy the individual gears and synchros or do you have to buy the whole transmission.
Replacement parts are not available directly from Porsche but they are from the aftermarket. I know of two companies both in Colorado, Powerhaus and I can't remember the name of the other.

Also on 996s with the LSD can you buy the pressure plates seperately or do you have to buy the whole diff.
PAG doesn't even sell a replacement LSD never mind just the plates. The only thing is that the plates have become pretty standardized over the years so you might be able to buy them from Powerhaus or Porsche Motorsports?

Originally Posted by programmatore
your friend would probably be better off getting a remanufactured tranny and having it installed by a dealer.
Now that replacement parts are available it doesn't make sense $$$ to buy a replacement gearbox from PAG unless your car is under warranty and the dealer is paying for it. Even if you're paying for labor on the rebuild the price spread can be several thousand dollars.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:02 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

JasonAndreas,

I spoke to a local shop here in Chicago who told that there are special tools involved a 996 trans that generally only the dealer carries, or specialized P-Car shops, is this true?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I spoke to a local shop here in Chicago who told that there are special tools involved a 996 trans that generally only the dealer carries, or specialized P-Car shops, is this true?
You're definitely going to need some pullers, etc. but exactly what I don't know and your dealer won't either. Neither of us has ever taken a regular 996 transmission apart. I would call Powerhaus and ask them, they should be able to tell you exactly what you'll need. The workshop manuals don't cover the regular 996 transmission other than for seal replacement, only the GT3 transmission is covered.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the suggestion of Powerhaus II, Roger Brown is a great guy and very knowledgable. It looks like he will be our man for this project.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powerhaus II is also advertising new closer gear ratios for the 996. If it was legal for club racing I would do it in a minute. It seems like it would be a great idea if you're replacing gears/sycros already.

Quick Reply: 996 Trans out - Help