Sponsored by:

Emergency Wheel & the Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Emergency Wheel & the Carrera 4S

MMD recently made a nice post showing the part numbers and installation of the emergency wheel for the Carrera 2 series: MMD Emergency Wheel Post

I just received my emergency wheel set up from Sunset Porsche and wanted to show you the pics but also to get some advice. Bottom line is it doesn't seem to fit in the boot! I am going to ask Jeff at Sunset to confirm again the part number for the 997 C4S and see if Porsche recommends using the boot or back seat to carry it.

First of all, the part number for the emergency wheel is slightly different for the 997 C4S 996-362-020-03 (compare with 996-362-020-02 for MMD's car). The tire indicates 185/60-17 same as MMD's. Is it the exact same thing? - I have no idea!
I also ordered the Porsche scissor jack and foam insert for the wheel to carry the jack. I also got the $2 huge bag to carry the "dirty wheel" in after tire changing.

The tire comes in a semi-deflated state but I can't figure out how to make iot fit in the boot. I know that the boot space on the 4 is smaller than a 2 but I'm guessing that part of this volume change must be the actual depth of the boot. The tire does fit in at an angle and probably just barely contacts the hood so it probably would not jump around. I still have room for my travel tool kit, lug wrench, knee pads, winter spacer set & lugs, a quart of Mobil One and a flashlight!

The other thing I have thought about is simply putting the damn thing in one of the rear seats. I never use the rear seats for anything so it is essentially wasted space. I think I could fasten the wheel in place using the rear seat belt and then slip a black tire cover over it so you wouldn't really notice it in the all black cockpit.

Any input on this placement issue would be appreciated.
Here's the pics:

Front of Wheel:

Back of Wheel:

Wheel part number:

Jack:

Foam Jack Holder:

Jack with Foam Insert and Wheel:

Emerg Wheel in rear Seat

Emerg Wheel in Boot
Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Dave-I just did a search, but didn't find the thread I was looking for. Know I've seen pics of a nice covered wheel/tire mounted in one of the rear seats. Seems that's a bit better for storeage than the front boot? Would hate to think of you hitting a bump and have the tire put a bulge in your hood.

Caught a flipped up beer can on my hood last week from a pickup in front of me. Nice scratch and dent. Was able to rub out the bulk of it and get the dent popped out, but.......
Old 06-11-2006, 03:18 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a photo showing Porsche's official solution for the 997/S in those countries which can only sell cars equipped with spare tires. I'm guessing this is the regular, bigger diameter, 996C2 spare (not the compact one shown above).

BTW, coochas, maybe you know this but if not, if you do decide to use back seat you can rip off the seat bottom upholstery to save it from being permanently impressed; it's just velcro-ed in.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize the seats were velcroed in! Should I expect to find a "flotation device" underneath it?
I'm toying with the boot vs back seat thing. I think I could probably put a gel pad over the top of the spare to make it really snug in the boot (although it just seems to fit the way it is now) and not fuss with the back seat at all,...then again, I do like to put the occasional bag of groceries in the boot as well as the monthly run for cat litter, Fancy Feast by the case, and kitty dry food (all in all about 50 lbs of stuff!).
Thanks for that tire pic MMD...if I go that route I think I'll take off the seat bottom (now that I know I can do this), fasten the tire in place with the seat belt, and slip a cover over it.
My God, the things we put up with in a $100,000 car! You gotta love it.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:51 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your right MMD, the spare wheel in this photo seems to be not as wide, almost like a spare saver which will probably work for the cars that don't have the red caliper (turbo) brakes like the standard 997. I don't think that tire will work for the 997S or 997C4S because of the clearance issues. I do think its a great idea to store the spare behind in the rear seat if trunk space is an issue. I wish they sold a nice cover for the spare to blend in with my interior (stone gray). I store mine in the front trunk but not when I need the space which makes having a spare a bit redundant, especially when its the long trips that demand all the trunk space i can get. Honestly, there is not much trunk space left after the spare is mounted so I may try to look for a nice cover and put it in the rear behind the drivers seat.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by gradyex
\ almost like a spare saver which will probably work for the cars that don't have the red caliper (turbo) brakes like the standard 997. I don't think that tire will work for the 997S or 997C4S because of the clearance issues.
No problem. I have a 986S (Boxster) and one of the first things I did when I got my (spareless) 997S home was to check to see if the 986S spare would fit on the bigger 997S FRONT rotor/hub/caliper. It does fit, no problem. There's a mere three milimeters clearance but THAT's considered okay (according to my dealer service guy). The space saver spare (shown all over these posts) definitely fits the 997S with the turbo brakes (red calipers).
Old 06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
gradyex
Racer

Thats good to know MMD. Does Porsche sell a cover for the collapsable spare (the red one in the photos) to match or come close to our black or gray interiors? Really thinking about relocating the spare to the rear seat instead of the trunk.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM
MMD
Banned

Here's a place to check out.

I have the item below and use it for collapsible spare. It is slightly baggy so I'd recommend you guys try the next smaller size.

The other thing to do is check parts department for a Porsche cover if used in the 996C4, not sure if there is one though.

There's definitely a cover for the 996 non-collapsible spare. Just open the hood of a 996C2 or 986 and you'll see it.

http://tire-covers.com

Small Trailer Plain Black Tire Cover (Trailer Blac) = $39.90
Universal Fit LARGE: 22" - 24"

Here's the only link I could find, damn thing is brown, mine is black.

http://www.tire-covers.com/catalog/p...a0ecd7b6a509de

good luck... .
Old 06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks,...I was just looking at this one: http://www.tirecovers.com/shop/10Bro...20Tire%20Cover
Their tire size "O" I think will work (it's for 21.5" trailer tires) which is about the diameter I measured. It's vinyl but available in a few colors. I'd really like to find a nice leather one but my searches are coming up empty,...maybe I'll have leather shop fabricate one????
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
maybe I'll have leather shop fabricate one????

Great idea, especially if tire has to be in the interior!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm really conflicted - long trips w/o a spare worry me but I don't like the looks of it in the backseat. I'll be curious to hear if/how it fits in the boot. I too have a C4S but with a CD changer so less room. If I had been able to order the car with my specs, I would not have ordered the changer - really not needed with MP3 capability in dash. Keep us posted Dave, especially with all the relevant part numbers. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Here's a photo showing Porsche's official solution for the 997/S in those countries which can only sell cars equipped with spare tires. I'm guessing this is the regular, bigger diameter, 996C2 spare (not the compact one shown above).

BTW, coochas, maybe you know this but if not, if you do decide to use back seat you can rip off the seat bottom upholstery to save it from being permanently impressed; it's just velcro-ed in.
It looks like this solution has a "cradle" for the wheel to sit in - do you have nay more info on this alternative?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:36 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It looks like this solution has a "cradle" for the wheel to sit in - do you have nay more info on this alternative?
No, sorry.

I believe Porsche must equip the cars that way to sell them in certain odd countries.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Will the collapsible spare from the 993 fit on the 997 also? The thought of driving from So Calif to the Parade in Portland without a spare do not appeal to me very much. I could take the 993 spare along.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:56 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
Will the collapsible spare from the 993 fit on the 997 also? The thought of driving from So Calif to the Parade in Portland without a spare do not appeal to me very much. I could take the 993 spare along.
As long as it clears the calipers, I guess it would be okay. You're not supposed to go over 50 mph on them anyway.

The fact that Porsche approves the 996 spare for the 997 even though the 996 has tires one inch smaller in diameter compared to the 997 sez that the PSM, ABS and other electronics related to wheels won't be ruined using a different tire.

Quick Reply: Emergency Wheel & the Carrera 4S