Sponsored by:

99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM
DGLA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!

My 99 Boxster with 54,000 miles on it just blew it's engine on Sunday. The shop wants about $7000 for a new engine withh a 2 year warrant plus about $3100 for labor. Does anyone have any better ideas or suggestions? I got the standard "we don't know why the engine blew, but it did..." answer from the mechanics at the dealership here in SoCal. Any idea if anyone might want a great car without an engine?!?! The care has been perfectly maintained and has had no real problems until this.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:39 PM
racer
Drifting

How much to upgrade to a 3.4l motor? If you're going to replace, now's the time for a power upgrade! Sorry to hear about the failure. Depending on vin number, it may have been a victim of a cylinder liner problem. However, most of those failures occurred at lower miles.

Define "blow up"? Driving along and it stopped? Giant hole out the engine case? Overheated? pics will help folks conclude what may have happened?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

How much for the car as is? Pics? Description?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
DGLA
AutoX

As for what happened - I was driving at about 65 mph, heard a pop or clank, a brief puff of white smoke out the back, and then lost power as the dash lights started lighting up. I coasted to the shoulder of the highway - still had electrical power, temp was fine, oil fine, no fluid leaks, etc. The shop claims they can't find a particular reason as they can't get further into the engine, it would be sent back to Germany to be rebuilt or discarded. The shop managed to get it restarted briefly but it clanked, shook, and sounded horrible.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
racer
Drifting

Glad it sounds like the shop did a quick investigative pursuit to make sure its broken! The other "issue" with the modern engines is that they are replaced in whole. The dealers no longer remove, inspect and rebuild. They return the "bad" motor to the factory for review and get either a new or remanufactured motor to replace yours.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the same well-known problem with boxster of that year.
search for slipped sleeve
Old 07-25-2006, 06:44 PM
DGLA
AutoX

Description: 1999 Porsche Boxter; 6-cyl / 5spd manual trans.; Sport Touring Package; Upgraded Exhaust System; Hardtop; CD Changer; AM/FM Cassette w/removable face; Special Full Leather Interior & Trim; Power Driver Seat w/Memory; Cruise Control; Adjustable Steering Wheel; Rear Wind Deflector; Avg. ~25+ MPG; Trip Computer; 17-Inch Wheels; 54K miles; Dual Front & Side Airbags; Newer Front Tires; New Front Brakes; Newer Battery; Crystal Guard; Professionally maintained and garaged. Edmunds Values the car (with working engine of 54K miles) at $23K-27.5K; Kelly Blue Book values it $24.8-28.8K. So I'd consider resonable offers on the car as it is, or with the new engine.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
DGLA
AutoX

If it is a slipped sleeve, can that be repaired/replaced without having to replace the entire engine?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by DGLA
If it is a slipped sleeve, can that be repaired/replaced without having to replace the entire engine?
no you have to swap the engine.

copy from another post:

...If you need to go below 2000. beware of low mileage '99s built between 9/98 and 4/99. Some of these cars had sleeved motor cases and can be problematic..read engine can lock due to slipped sleeve. I f the '99 has normal mileage, 50k or over you might be OK. Low mileage cars in this year might be subject to slipped sleeves...

again, do a search, porsche knows this problem, and replaced many boxster engine, even some of them are out of warranty.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 PM
racer
Drifting

At the very least, do a search, gather info, and go back to Porsche. Claim its a known problem and you expect Porsche to repair it on their dime. It never hurts to ask (and maybe ask frequently) till you get some help. It may be harder since you are out of any warranty period. It would help if you were the original owner. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
DGLA
AutoX

Thanks for the advice - I am pushing the service dept. about replacing it themselves so we'll see. I'd definitely give them lots of great word of mouth if they did!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Sorry about the engine failure - welcome to the club!

From experience, you should:

1) Ask the dealership to contact the local Porsche area rep for you in SoCal and have him call you

2) Explain how you are an active Porsche club member, and have plenty of information on the known engine problems with this car from personal contacts and Porsche club websites like this one

3) Explain that you know that people are getting new engines, even out of warranty, because of the nature of these manufacturing problems

4) Explain how your failure has high visibility on-line, and that you'd be happy to pay labor, if they supply a new (rebuilt) engine

5) Explain that you understand you'd need to fill out a Porsche non disclosure agreement in order to make this happen

6) Suggest that you'll have the engine stripped down, and have an article ready for online and magazine publishing, explaining the Porsche Boxster's problems, if they don't come through with a suitable deal.

Out of 5 close Boxster owning friends, with cars from 97-2000, we've had 4 new engines.

The most recent was last year on the 98, which was way out of warranty of course.

Porsche paid for the block, owner paid for labor - as above.

You may want to get some legal backing as well, in case they get sticky

But stick to your story - as soon as they know you know, they should become much more reasonable.

Chris.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Any news?

Chris.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, inquiring minds wanna know...
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
DGLA
AutoX

Update as of 8/4/06 . . . the still yet to be named Porsche Service Center/Dealership is "working on it . . ." The Service Manager has been quite polite and has been talking with the Porsche Area Representative about the issue. There have been a few phone calls to me requesting additional information such as how long I've had the car, where I purchased it, if it is my first Porsche, etc. The Service Manager has not once denied that Porsche has had a problem and has been quick to acknowledge that he is aware of the information and paper-trail that exists for this problem that will help support my case. Yes, this was my first Porsche, and if all goes well it won't be my last - but that is up to Porsche at this point... I will keep you posted as to the outcome. Thanks again to the suggestions and recommendations from everyone. -D

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!