993 Forum 1995-1998

Shipping Companies

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 AM
jangobox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Companies

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but have been a big Porsche enthusiast for as long as I can remember. Right now I own a 06 Cayenne S but I recently sold my 05 987 but I hopefully will be replacing her with a 96' 993. I live in Northern Virginia but the 993 right now is in Dallas Texas. Can anyone recommend a good Shipping company that I can transport my 993 safely and quickly from Dallas to Virginia? It is about a 1300 mile hike. I would like to drive the car myself but it has real low miles on it and is in perfect conditon. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Well, the magazine Excellance has a good number of ads that you might try. You can choose open carrier service like you see new cars arriving on or closed transport where the car is inside a trailer.

I would have the car checked/inspected at a local dealer, put on a bra, and drive the car home if it were me and I had the two days to do it. You will have a much more fun time than waiting a week and biting nails for the delivery and did it arrive without damage, etc. 1300 miles is not a lot.

That assumes you are not buying it as a museum peice.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

I used Intercity and highly recommend them:

http://www.intercitylines.com/

I had a car shipped from Anaheim to the Midwest in an enclosed trailer for $1500.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:56 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto for Intercity. Boston to Blaine, Washington $1,800. They ship all the Carrera GTs.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used DeMoise Truck-ing... Highly recommended.

You should do a search of the recommended companies on this forum to get a better feel of who to use and who to avoid.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

I also used DeMoise Truck-ing... Very Highly recommended.

I shipped from LAX to DFW enclosed for $1,250.00... Perfect!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:35 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Another vote for Intercity. NJ to AZ, $1500 enclosed. Incredible service, very co-operative in terms of pick up and drop off and exactly on time!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) is pretty good.
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/?EADI...AS_Keywords-ex
I used them to transport my 993 from NJ to Dallas in an enclosed trailer. I like the fact that they have a GPS and you can track the car via their web site.
They also have a facility in the Dallas area.

Just make sure to ask anyone you use how they will strap the car down.
If they strap over the tie rods it will bend them.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I am in the process of moving right now, and am shipping two cars from IA to CO. Intercity was my first choice, but they are ridiculously booked with all of the summer shows (Monterrey, etc). If you want to use them you will have to 1. Wait and 2. Be very flexible. If this is okay with you, their reputation alone would make them the first choice. Thomas Sunday was available, but the pick-up/drop-off date window was very large and the price was high. I chose Passport, whom I've used 3 times in the past with great results. They are now part of FedEx Custom Critical, whom I use for work for industrial needs. They have been very reliable and professional in the past, and I expect them to be the same this time. Passport will also guarantee a 3-day pick-up window for an additional $500. Even with the guarantee, they were $600 less than Thomas Sunday.

Incidentally, my relocation company uses DAS, which I flat refused. I have heard all sorts of horror stories with DAS. In my case, they would come to my house with an open carrier, pick up the cars, take them to a depot, transload them to an enclosed carrier, drive them to the depot in the vicinity of the destination, transload them again to open carriers, and deliver them to my house. Does this sound like a good idea? All this for $200 MORE than Passport's fully enclosed, door-to-door service with the guaranteed pick-up. Run Forest, Run!

Good luck. This is never a fun ordeal. If I had the time, I'd drive.

Jason
Old 08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
jangobox
Instructor

Thank you everyone for all your help on this. But it looks like I am going to make the trek myself. I am going to be flying to Dallas on Friday and them making the long journey home over the weekend back to Washington DC. It should be a fun trip. It looks like I will be heading through Little Rock, Memphis, Nashvillie and Roanoke, cities I haven't been to so a least it sounds like fun.

Now here's a question. Since this is my first "air-cooled" Porsche and my first long trip in one, is there any advice you guys can give me about traveling in one. I know it is close to being 100 degrees over the next several days. How well will a 993 engine do in hot weather. How often should I give the car a rest? How should I drive it? The total hike is about 1300 miles. I plan on driving all 3 days, maybe 8 hours a day.

Last edited by jangobox; 08-01-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
zekksw

Check the belts, leave the engine tray in Dallas then drive it like you stole it. Don’t worry about the heat, trust me on this one. Have a great trip, take pictures!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
shattergard
Racer

I used FEDEX car transport about a month two months ago. The service was great
Old 08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Jango, I drove my 95 993 from Dallas to Cleveland with my son non-stop except for food and fuel in July of 2000. Ran great like it was a trip around the block, oil temp never got above 8:00. Just check the oil level when you stop for fulel, Bring 2 extra quarts of Mobil 1 syn oil so you can top off the oil level, use a grade for hot weather, best to run the oil full for long duration at high speeds. Spend the $100 and install a Bra to eliminate road chips. PITA to put on, but it's worth it. Make sure the car has its air generator and spare tire and tools in place. Very common to get a used Porsche with the portable air pump missing. If not there, you can pick up a 300 Psi one from autozone for $20 bucks.
When staying at a motel, park the car where you can see it. You should check to see if the alarm system works. have a safe trip and watch out for those State patrol boys, they love chasing down Porsches.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:19 PM
pchak
Pro

Good move! Glad you decided to drive. To me, that's what helps make the whole thing so special (I also have trouble forking over $1500 to ship the car, but that's just me)!

As Kent said, check the belts, and losing the undertray isn't a bad idea either.

I'm looking at cars in New York, and in Florida, so may be doing the same thing.

Congrats!.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
jangobox
Instructor

Actually I had the Porsche dealership check it out and they said everything runs perfectly!Ok forgive me but what is the under tray and why should I remove it?

Quick Reply: Shipping Companies