Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIAC "chip" tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GIAC "chip" tuning

Any thoughts or comments?

I have an appointment this afternoon to get it done to my 05 987S. Didn't have time to schedule a before/after dyno, but I'm sure if its the same type of 'flashloader' as all of the other ones I've seen (plugs into OBDII) then getting comparable results should be a snap.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbodo
Any thoughts or comments?

I have an appointment this afternoon to get it done to my 05 987S. Didn't have time to schedule a before/after dyno, but I'm sure if its the same type of 'flashloader' as all of the other ones I've seen (plugs into OBDII) then getting comparable results should be a snap.

Second to none. G.I.A.C. dominates the Porsche market in the United States.

We were their first distributor MANY years ago.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Mbodo - please favor us with your writeup! Are you doing exhaust, intake etc too or just the chip?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
mbodo
Racer

Chris - Just doing the chip today. I think I might be waiting for the superspritnt exhaust to make it stateside.

I had a question out to Fabspeed in another thread (will 987 headers fit both 3.2 and 3.4) but I'll have to go back and re-read the answer. Would love to stay with a US Based manufacturer.

Mike - is their tuning system for the 987s a plug-n-flash type of module, or a piggyback (ala superchips) or a complete replacement? (guess I'll find out later today huh)

Cheers,

Matt
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 PM
mbodo
Racer

Ok just got back from having the tuning software installed. Guess it isn't a unit you can "take with you", its a "stop by and we'll download it to the car" type of deal.

First impressions are - it will probably take a dyno or stopwatch to be able to tell the difference between this car and one that is not tuned. The feeling is very subjective. Sure, it "feels" faster, but it may feel faster on account of the fact that I spent a good chunk of change on the upgrade.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much (not sure there is much you CAN do with just software), but this might open the door to the one or two other tuning options that are available to the 3.2 liter.

I asked specifically about the removal of the "extra" set of catalytic converters, indicating I'd heard from other vendors that this was a source of power improvement. The rep immediately shook his head and indicated that one can expect to loose torque without the "extra" set of cats, and the way to go was with hi-flo cats. I guess there are a few different schools of thought when it comes to tuning the exhaust, but most seem to agree, either by verbalizing it or by having people post numbers, there isn't much improvement one can expect from the tailpipe.

The rep did mention that there was a cold air intake that would be available soon for the 987S Boxster. I'm sure that will be interesting.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 AM
twisted
Advanced

mbodo - who did you go to for the software?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 AM
twisted
Advanced

mbodo - got it, thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
type987s
Instructor

Default I think AWE Tuning is American,,,Sounds Awesome

Check out the video link at the bottom of this page. American made and sounds great.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...caymansmuffler
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
twisted
Advanced

mbodo - I forgot to ask, did they load in the 91 octane version of the software? Also does your car have a Sport Chrono Package, with the 'Sport' button?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
mbodo
Racer

twisted - yes, 91 octane version .. (so far as I know, it doesn't knock!) and no, no sport chrono package.

IIRC, the sport button doesn't do a whole hell of a lot outside of remaping the fly-by-wire throttle.. at least that was the discussion on renntech.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:07 AM
twisted
Advanced

mbodo - Can you offer up any feed back on the software now that you have had it few weeks? tks
Old 08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
mbodo
Racer

haven't been driving the car much so at this point, can't offer much of an opinion one way or another.

If there's anyone in OC with a 987S that wants to do a quick comparo between the two (because its been "long enough" since the chip) let me know and we can compare results.

I'm also waiting for the EVO intake to come off of backorder & ship. I'm hoping that + tuning + a "Powered by Porsche" sticker will give me another 5HP ;-)
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think a turbo emblam is good for an additional 5 HP as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mbodo
Ok just got back from having the tuning software installed. Guess it isn't a unit you can "take with you", its a "stop by and we'll download it to the car" type of deal.

First impressions are - it will probably take a dyno or stopwatch to be able to tell the difference between this car and one that is not tuned. The feeling is very subjective. Sure, it "feels" faster, but it may feel faster on account of the fact that I spent a good chunk of change on the upgrade.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much (not sure there is much you CAN do with just software), but this might open the door to the one or two other tuning options that are available to the 3.2 liter.

I asked specifically about the removal of the "extra" set of catalytic converters, indicating I'd heard from other vendors that this was a source of power improvement. The rep immediately shook his head and indicated that one can expect to loose torque without the "extra" set of cats, and the way to go was with hi-flo cats. I guess there are a few different schools of thought when it comes to tuning the exhaust, but most seem to agree, either by verbalizing it or by having people post numbers, there isn't much improvement one can expect from the tailpipe.

The rep did mention that there was a cold air intake that would be available soon for the 987S Boxster. I'm sure that will be interesting.
Mike/AWE can perhaps speak more about exhaust mods and power gain/losses with different combos.

As type987S mentioned, AWE's muffler set for the 987S is fantastic. We just installed the AWE mufflers on a client's 987S and the sound is incredibly exotic; the client is very pleased. As well, AWE's power claims are always valid; no over-inflated numbers there.

Quick Reply: GIAC "chip" tuning