Sponsored by:

My dead engine photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
bnewport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dead engine photos

Here's some shots of my blown 996 3.4 engine. #1 cylinder wall broken, lots of seized pistons, 9.9k for factory replacement. Photos are too big to post here, sorry.

http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

9.9 IS THAT FOR A NEW OR REMAN ENGINE? does that include labor?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 PM
jdk1
Instructor

I hate to hear about a blown engine. What year? How many miles?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 PM
bnewport
Racer

9.9k including install for a reman engine with 2 year warranty. 43k miles, 99.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:17 PM
bnewport
Racer

Local photos
Attached Images    
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Bnewport, were you at LCTM a couple weeks ago? Sorry to hear about the engine. Any word on the cause for the cylinder wall failure?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:26 PM
alprus
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default i was at LCMT - saw a 3.4 blow in front of me

I was at the LCMT DE event last two weeks back, and there was a burgundy C4 that blew its engine in front of me - was that you? If so, you did a great job getting off the track - no oil anywhere on the track surface. I never saw so much smoke come out of a car (that was not on fire).

Sorry about the engine though.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Any word yet on the cause of this? I have a 1999 with 33k and that scares the hell out of me.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot imagine that you could rebuild and install that engine yourself for much less than 9.9k. You "might" be able to save a little on the installation costs if you checked around or considered doing it yourself, but it doesn't sound all that bad to me considering everything plus the two year factory warranty.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alprus
I was at the LCMT DE event last two weeks back, and there was a burgundy C4 that blew its engine in front of me - was that you? If so, you did a great job getting off the track - no oil anywhere on the track surface. I never saw so much smoke come out of a car (that was not on fire).

Sorry about the engine though.
Aplrus, was that you with your fiance at LCMT?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:14 PM
alprus
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

Yep. That was me and my fiance, Beth. Our first DE. What car did you have?

Adam
Old 08-15-2006, 03:23 PM
bnewport
Racer

Well,
Nothing motivates someone like the thought that you're about to burn alive Suddenly 1500 bucks for a suit doesn't seem so expensive.

No idea why this happened. The dealer did the tear down visible in the pics but it would cost more bucks to go deeper and figure it out. From what I'm reading this is pretty common. A fellow PCA guy had his 2003 C4S fail a month ago, again new engine.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alprus
Chris,

Yep. That was me and my fiance, Beth. Our first DE. What car did you have?

Adam
Sweet, I was in the Seal grey C4, parked on the grass, a couple spots down from you. Your a brave man bringing the lady to the DE. She must of loved your drive on the grass

Good call getting the Pcar in BEFORE the big day. I did exactly that!

Did you stay for day three? I bet it was the best day! I sent you am IM, with a link for some picture I took. Sorry, only black/red, but thought you might be interested.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear about your motor. That blows. But I know first hand what you are going through. Same thing happened to my motor early this year - also cracked cylinder #1. Yours does not looks as obviously cracked as mine was though.

In hindsight, you might as well buy the remanufactured motor from Porsche. Mine was rebuilt by an independent, and when I went to sell it (just a couple of months ago), the fact that it was not a factory replacment really scared a lot of people off. You should get the difference back that you pay in the end.

I know it is a tough pill to swallow, and I feel badly for you. It ruined the whole Porsche experience for me and I get mad just talking about it still. There are SO MANY 99's with this problem out there. So many of the potential buyers kept asking me, "why are there so many 99's with replacement motors?" I just kept saying, "Porsche says there is nothing wrong with it, that's all I know."

Best of luck.

For all you other 99 owners - GET THE WARRANTY.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
Sorry to hear about your motor. That blows. But I know first hand what you are going through. Same thing happened to my motor early this year - also cracked cylinder #1. Yours does not looks as obviously cracked as mine was though.

In hindsight, you might as well buy the remanufactured motor from Porsche. Mine was rebuilt by an independent, and when I went to sell it (just a couple of months ago), the fact that it was not a factory replacment really scared a lot of people off. You should get the difference back that you pay in the end.

I know it is a tough pill to swallow, and I feel badly for you. It ruined the whole Porsche experience for me and I get mad just talking about it still. There are SO MANY 99's with this problem out there. So many of the potential buyers kept asking me, "why are there so many 99's with replacement motors?" I just kept saying, "Porsche says there is nothing wrong with it, that's all I know."

Best of luck.

For all you other 99 owners - GET THE WARRANTY.
Just for the sake of comparison, how much did it cost you total to get the engine rebuilt and installed by an independent? Thanks.

Quick Reply: My dead engine photos