Sponsored by:

996 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 purchase

i want to upgrade from my 964 to the best 996 i can afford, probably 40K or so.
there seem to be a lot of nice internet cars at around 40k, usually incomplete records.
ex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320016109705&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AM EWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320016109705&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AM EWA%3AIT&rd=1

I see little of posts on rms , blown engines, lately. does thast mean that if a car is dry, has had an rms fixed and passes a ppi it is relatively safe to buy.
or do i have to skip this entire generation of cars if i can't spring for a turbo or gt3, both of which hace different crank and seals i'nm told.

sorry to bring up an old subject, but my mechanic, dan jacobs, says that every 996 that comes into his shop is on the 2nd engine.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

find new mechanic. the easy way out!
lol
i am happy with my 996
Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You're mechanic needs to calm down with the hysteria.

I'm on my second 996, neither had any engine issues whatsoever.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your mechanic sounds like a dip**** and perhaps he's causing the blown motors himself (not really, kidding)........................ Get a new mechanic or feed him some valium. I've had many and had almost no problems. I've had one rms amongst several cars and it was because the clutch installer used the existing seal and was a moron. He also blamed the car and was later fired.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a Boxster and now a 996 and no engine replacements for me. Small oil leake in the Boxster that was taken care of with a new cam housing gasket. I know several 996 and 986 owners and come to think of it none of them have replaced an engine except for 2 that swaped out from a 2.7 to a 3.4 in their Boxster, otherwise they would not have done an engine replacement. Don't get me wrong, there are 996s that have had engine replacements; however, the talk is mostly hysteria. On a used 996, major issues have mostly been addressed. Get the PPI, from another mechanic (IMO), and enjoy.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Piccia
Instructor

RMS is overblown IMO. I had a PPI done when I was considering purchasing my car. I was concerned b/c the car had been for sale since Nov '05 and not driven much. They P-car dealer noted dampness around the seal. I couldn't get the independent dealer to pay to fix it b/c the P-car dealer had told them and me it could be 5 weeks or 5 years before the seal really leaked a bunch. Bought the car anyway, got a couple of drips after a few weeks and now it has 'healed' itself.

Also agree you should find a new mechanic. That comment is irresponsible. The water cooled 911s are very reliable. There may be some problem cars out there, but consider the range of possible drivers of these vehicles. Some are driven at 4/10ths every day as a fun car to commute in. Others are taken to the track 4-5 times a year and driven hard. Still others are redlined at every opportunity by abusers of cars. It comes down to getting the best, clearest history you can, buying private party from a 'Porsche guy' if you can and not seeking the absolute bottom dollar deal because, as many will cite here - if the deal seems to good to be true, it likely is.....

Happy hunting,

Piccia
'02 Targa
Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
screameleons
Instructor

I ran into the RMS issue shortly after purchasing mine. It was not a big deal and I got it taken care of at a very good indy shop. I would not say that the RMS issue is overblown, since I have personally been affected by it. You should pay attention to that area while you are shopping. I know a couple local guys that have also had the problem. But I would not let an RMS leak stop you. Overall, everything else about the car has been a joy.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bzalforno
i want to upgrade from my 964 to the best 996 i can afford, probably 40K or so.
there seem to be a lot of nice internet cars at around 40k
You can even find early 996's at dealerships in that price range - mostly 99's and 00's, but you might get a higher mileage 2001. I preferred this route since I could test drive the car, and compare it with other models at the same time. I was even able to get an after market 4 year warranty through the dealer and I couldn't be more satisfied (with the car and the warranty).

I'm sure the internet purchase will yield similar results. Good luck!

-td
Old 08-16-2006, 12:01 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

70,000 racing and autocross miles and still on my first engine!! GET A NEW MECHANIC ASAP!!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEW MECHANIC or new engine?
the choice is simple.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into the RMS issue shortly after purchasing mine, CPO'd. It was replaced for free buy the dealer. Then 4 months later during a Clutch replacement there was another small leak found by my In INDY, it was replaced for $50.

Two RMS's in one year is an issue in my book. But what many don't mention is that it's not a very costly repair considering how much people talk about it. When I first heard about the RMS I thought it was a 1500 -2000 repair. I was happy to find out it's only a $700 repair on Average.

Originally Posted by screameleons
I ran into the RMS issue shortly after purchasing mine. It was not a big deal and I got it taken care of at a very good indy shop. I would not say that the RMS issue is overblown, since I have personally been affected by it. You should pay attention to that area while you are shopping. I know a couple local guys that have also had the problem. But I would not let an RMS leak stop you. Overall, everything else about the car has been a joy.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to bring up an old subject, but my mechanic, dan jacobs, says that every 996 that comes into his shop is on the 2nd engine.
As others have stated the facts just don't support your mechanic's comment. I've got a 986 and a 996 (both M96 motors) and both of mine have been flawless. I have a close friend who is the service manager at a large Chicago Porsche dealership and he claims that they see very few 986/996/987/997 engine replacements with the cars that they service.

It sounds like your mechanic has bitten into a moldy fig and has issues with Porsche's wasserpumpers.

Good look with your search and welcome to the 996 board
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
jbdmd
Pro

...sorry to bring up an old subject, but my mechanic, dan jacobs, says that every 996 that comes into his shop is on the 2nd engine.
perhaps he is spot on

Read the september edition of Excellence where they say rms failure is reported at between 50% and 100%

see my other recent post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/292842-50-100-rms-failure.html

good luck
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I ran into the RMS issue shortly after purchasing mine, CPO'd. It was replaced for free buy the dealer. Then 4 months later during a Clutch replacement there was another small leak found by my In INDY, it was replaced for $50.

Two RMS's in one year is an issue in my book. But what many don't mention is that it's not a very costly repair considering how much people talk about it. When I first heard about the RMS I thought it was a 1500 -2000 repair. I was happy to find out it's only a $700 repair on Average.

This not always the case....rms failure can lead to a new engine! The seal can be replaced if the crank assembly is still centered in the crank case. If it is not centered (tested with a special tool) than the engine should be replaced.

I have not prersonally had one but. I have had an intermediate bearing go bad which lead to an engine replacement...and is also another know 996 problem.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
bnewport
Racer

I bought my 99 with a 4 yr extended warranty and they have paid around 25k in repairs over the last 3 years. I have my tranny and engine both blow. That said, what bugs me most is that I seem to have been the unlucky one at events so it looks like I just had a bad car, it was all dealer serviced and it isn't abused by me. Hopefully, I'll have better luck on the new engine/tranny. But, I would not own one without a warranty now.

Quick Reply: 996 purchase