Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!

Folks,

It has been a long time since I have been after 911Turbo ownership. But for many years there was always something that would prevent me from actually buying one. Some financial emergency in my family where I needed to jump in and help. Anyway, I will keep the story short, I think I am close to making a deal with a car. This is where you all come in. Need some words of wisdom and advice.

It seems that prices are all over the place. What dictates the prices seem to fall in a few categories with mileage being the most critical one along with condition. Options does not seem to place a lot of influence on the price. The X50 option does indeed affect pricing considerably. On average the prices seem to be around 80K for a less than 25k mile car...

Here is the info on the car that I found:

The car: 2002 Seal Grey Metallic 996TT with 49,897 miles. Graphite Grey Full Leather interior.

Option list is short as the car is pretty much a standard item:
Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
M6P - Graphite Grey Floor Mat
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
696 - AM/FM Radio with CD Player
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear

Condition: Two owner car. 45K service done. Dealer installed four new Michelin tires, balanced and aligned the car. Inspection was done. Factory warranty expires in November but the car also comes with the Porsche Approved Certified Preowned Vehicle warranty (2 years/100k miles).

This car was a daily driver with an owner that, from what I can see, did not care a lot about cosmetics. For example, the interior was dirty, not damaged, but dirty. So it needs a good detailing. Engine bay is also dirty, not oil, no leaks, but cosmoline is still in place and everything could use a good clean.

Paint, with the exception of a ding on the front fender, is in good condition. Again, it needs a good wash and polish.

Front bumper spoiler lip needs replacing. The good news is that from the damage you can tell it was only due to scrapes of parking stops or driveways as there is no damage to the front of the lip or the undercarriage.

Headlight are pitted. Seems like the plastic material used for the headlight’s housing sucks.

OK, so what is the deal? I want to offer US$58K with the dealer fixing the small ding, replacing the front lip spoiler, new mats, complete detailing, copy of the service history, oil change (not sure how willing they will be able to throw in the 60k mile service, I will ask for it, but worst case I want them to do an oil change).

I was told that the headlights stay… no chance in them replacing it with the deal. They look ok but you can see the pitting as you get closer to them. I guess is not a big deal since I too will be using the car as a daily driver (sharing the spot with my 964).

What do you guy/gals think? What else should I ask for or look out for? Car drove good. Clutch felt good and smooth. I need to do another test drive since I just happened to go by the dealer with the family when I saw the car pull in. It was taken in as a trade-in on a new yellow 997-TT.

I am also downloading all the TSBs from RennTech.org and running a CarFax report (forgot to get it yesterday from the dealer).

Those with high mileage cars, what common issues have you come across… searching the site did not show too many issues. And I know the engine and transmissions are the real tested items (that is why I wanted either a GT3 or a TT and not a regular 996 or 997).

Let me stop the rambling and turn it over to you. Thank you in advanced for your comments.

Last edited by Wachuko; 08-20-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 AM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jaime,

my 3 cents since i recently purchased a used one.
these cars will go forever but personally i would look for a
lower milage car. there are soooo many out there. if you could swing another
10k you will get a car that has been driven a lot less. if your heart is set on this car then a PPI of course is in order. the porsche warranty is not all that good from what i hear, you should find out specifically what they cover. it is not like the regular warranty. the cosmetic issues i.e. detail can be done with ease. mine was quite dirty but my guy made it look new.
btw it is the X50 for the turbo, X51 is the NA version.
good luck, they are fun cars

roy
Old 08-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Michael Ontic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think $58 is a good buy on an '02 with 45k miles and decent colors/history. I agree w/ the dealer.....the headlights are way too expensive to replace over pitting. Get the dealer to have his PDR (paintless dent removal) guy fix the ding in the fender....even if the paint is chipped, and the drive the shXXXX out of it. You can sure get a bettter or lower mile car, but $58 is a good number on what you discribe and you'd have a hard time matching it with Certified warranty.....in my mind anyway.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by LAJ_996
Jaime,

my 3 cents since i recently purchased a used one.
these cars will go forever but personally i would look for a
lower milage car. there are soooo many out there. if you could swing another
10k you will get a car that has been driven a lot less. if your heart is set on this car then a PPI of course is in order. the porsche warranty is not all that good from what i hear, you should find out specifically what they cover. it is not like the regular warranty. the cosmetic issues i.e. detail can be done with ease. mine was quite dirty but my guy made it look new.
btw it is the X50 for the turbo, X51 is the NA version.
good luck, they are fun cars

roy
Roy, thanks for the feedback (went back and edited/corrected the X51 reference). Let me search for options. But I got to tell you, for 58K this car is getting my devoted attention. Got to do the numbers to see if I can stretch to an additional 10-15k.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Michael Ontic
I think $58 is a good buy on an '02 with 45k miles and decent colors/history. I agree w/ the dealer.....the headlights are way too expensive to replace over pitting. Get the dealer to have his PDR (paintless dent removal) guy fix the ding in the fender....even if the paint is chipped, and the drive the shXXXX out of it. You can sure get a bettter or lower mile car, but $58 is a good number on what you discribe and you'd have a hard time matching it with Certified warranty.....in my mind anyway.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

The other option is to wait a few more months in the hope that prices (for those cars that are still up in the 80's) would come down some more and try to find one with the X50 option...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:16 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The pitting suggests mostly highway miles, and I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are your next 30,000 miles will cost you only the next level of depreciation. If the car appeals to you, I'd take it.
Will they read the DME simply to prove there aren't type 2 over revs? AS
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
...Will they read the DME simply to prove there aren't type 2 over revs? AS
That is what I asked them to show me. I got there late Saturday and the sales rep gave me the keys for a quick spin around the highway with the family so we could not do much with the time we had. Also, on Saturdays, the service desk is closed.

I just emailed him the list of things I want with the offer and will call him Monday morning to see if we can close the deal.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

This is what I emailed them as an offer to close the deal... wish me luck

My offer – US$63,000.00 out the door with the following items performed:
--Fix the small ding in the front fender (they already agreed to this Saturday)
--Replace the front lip spoiler (they already agreed to this Saturday)
--New set of mats
--Complete detailing
--Copy of the service history and validate Type 1 and Type 2 over revs codes
--To perform 60K service (and brake fluid flush if not included already in the 60K service)

Old 08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

ARgghh... they are stuck at US$67K without the 60K service.... not sure on what to do... I had already made the loan request for 65 and don't want to take any cash out....

Don't mind me... just venting a little...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

how did the car go from 58K to 67K? I think it is a great deal at 60-65K, i wouldnt worry about the miles - 49K is not much at all IMHO.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by rcg412
how did the car go from 58K to 67K? I think it is a great deal at 60-65K, i wouldnt worry about the miles - 49K is not much at all IMHO.
67 is the out the door price... so for example my offer was 58K plus tax, tag, and title=63K.

Still talking to them but seems like they will not come down anything more... crap...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Split the cost of the service, and ask for a new battery. They may give up profit on the service but sustain no real loss. The battery is much cheaper to them, and will be your next replacement. When they say yes, ask for wipers too. AS
Old 08-21-2006, 12:23 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

And then say, "Throw in a plug-in charger" AS
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
RoadKill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Alex - if you can get them to $65 with the charger, you've paid a fair price. Its also a price that won't take very much deporeciation over the next year.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!