Pending projects and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Pending projects and a few questions-996TT

Creating a place holders for my future mods Similar to my thread on the 964 forum: Pending Projects - 964

A few of my threads when I started to look for it:

Pre-Purchase check list...

Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!

I bought my car August 25, 2006.

The car: 2002 Seal Grey Metallic 996TT with 49,497 miles. Graphite Grey Full Leather interior. 6-Speed. Completely stock. - US$62,500.00 (US$67.5k out the door after Tax, Tag, Title). The car was purchased in Porsche of Orlando, Maitland, Florida.

Option list is short as the car is pretty much a standard item:
Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
M6P - Graphite Grey Floor Mat
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
696 - AM/FM Radio with CD Player
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear

The deal:
45k miles service was done.
4 New Michelin Pilot Sport tires
Fully detailed
Full tank of gas
Porsche Certified Pre-Own Warranty (2years/100k miles)
New set of floor mats
New Lower Front Lip Spoiler
New battery
Battery Tender
60K service and brake fluid flush (this is around US$1,600.00 service at the dealer).

Note to new owners: Keep your car on a battery tender... the battery on these cars would go flat in about two weeks if not kept on a tender... Also remember that after a week without use, the remote will not work, you have to open the car with the key for the system to reset.

Keeping track of a few other threads of work on my car:

Suspension improvements

Restoring headlights

New Seat Options?

Headlights - scratch removal/restoration

Thicker Steering Wheel

Turn signals problems...

B & M Short Shift Kit (SSK) Installation Instructions

A few photos before the changes began:

And how it looks now (as of March 1st, 2009):

List of installed mods:

1. Carbon Fiber Shift **** with the Turbo Script. ...Update: Installed! Got it from Carnewal

also installed the CF e-brake (on Dec 02, 2007) - I mean... can't do one without the other... should have ordered it from carnewal.com (to get the Porsche alum piece on the CF...) Update:Installed. Ordered from Sunset Imports

2. Short shift kit. No questions here...Update: Installed. Got it from Sunset Porsche. woohooo!

3. Aluminum Pedal Set with the Turbo script. Update Sept. 1st 2006/Update July 2008 - Gas pedal changed for one with wider bottom for better heel&toe: Installed!!

4. Clear side markers. On this I have to tell you... if you don't want to be pulled into mods... stay away from their site... addicting stuff.... I started clicking away like a maniac and had to cut back as soon as I saw the credit card starting to melt... ...Update: Installed. I got them from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com

5. Center console painted in Seal Grey. I just had to... ...really. Thanks Eric!!
Installed. Got it from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com

6. FabSpeed Maxflo Sport Exhaust Gen 3

Update:: New exhaust system in place (FabSpeed Maxflo Sport Exhaust Gen 3 )... a lot easier on the ears drums (no drone!!) ... FabSpeed agreed to modify my cats to fit the new mufflers

7. Tinted windows - Update: Done!!

8. Smoked 3rd brake light Installed.

9. GT-3 front brake ducts, Rear GT2 brake ducts
Front Part No: 996-341-117-90 and 996-341-118-90 ...Update: Installed! - Got them from Sunset Imports

10. Ashtray delete in Seal Grey and key hole plug from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com - Update: Ordered!

11. Key update: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/295563-design-key-update.html (much nicer looking than the OEM original). - Update: Got it as a birthday gift!!! September '08

12. When doing Restoring headlights I replaced the washer nozzels (chrome caps were broken and poping off) - Part # 996-628-144-00 and Part # 996-628-143-00

13. iPod adapter ordered for the CDR-220 stock radio. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993 - Update: Installed - link to post

Future mods:

1. Diverter Valves - might as well order a set. Ordering in the next few weeks from www.sharkwerks.com

2. Set of Turbo Seal Grey Bumperettes from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com

3. When the time comes... Stage 2 and LW Flywheel and clutch from Kevin @ www.Ultimatemotorwerks.com :

4. High Performance Silicone Intake Hose Kit Update: I have been told that the factory units work just fine and there is really no need to go aftermarket unless I want to do it for the colors available. I still have the stock units and will look to either factory replacement or silicone when the time comes.

5. As a preventive measure - I will install new front wheel bearings. Seems to be a normal consumable in these cars once the get close to 40K miles. Update: Still pending

6. Decided to go with the JIC 8/12 suspension instead of the PSS10 suspension. First DE done (My First DE!!)in June 28-29, 2008 . Buying suspension from Vivid Racing.

7. New steering wheel. FVD makes it in the same color of my interior as a special order.

Areas that need attention:

Sept. 1st, 2006 - Sunroof rear seal. Coming apart - Appointment for Friday, September 1st with Porsche of Orlando. Update: Repaired

Sept. 1st, 2006 - Rattling noise - not sure if it is the exhaust tins or flywheel or what... - Appointment for Friday, September 1st with Porsche of Orlando. Funny how you don't hear stuff like that the day you buy the car. Good thing there is 500miles left on the standard warranty before the Porsche CPO warranty kicks in (not a 100 miles as I initially thought). So not using the car much during the first few weeks to sort out any other stuff that pops up... From reading the forum threads related to this it could as well be normal... a few threads on can of bolts noises coming from the tranny area that are normal... Update: Normal operation...

Sept. 1st, 2006 - Battery drain - Update: Repaired. Generator replaced under warranty - PN - 997-603-012-CX

Sept. 1st, 2006 - Cluth pedal noise (49,789miles) - Update: Not normal operation but nothing is wrong as far as the clutch etc. This is due to the need of grease in the throw-out bearing. Dealer said that unless it fails there is no need to worry and that I am covered under the CPO if it fails

Sept. 19, 2006 (50,052miles) - (1) Clutch pedal is getting stuck at the bottom. Unable to engage the clutch. Clutch pedal would slightly bind just about where the clutch engages on pedal travel. I am left unable to shift into any gear. After many pumps, waiting, etc. I can get the clutch to start working. After that clutch does not appear to be slipping. Update: Master Cylinder (PN 996-423-171-52) replaced and system bleed. Covered by warranty
(2) Also had them do an oil change. Parts involved: 10 Quarts of oil Mobile1 0W/40, Oil Filter Insert (PN 996-107-225-53), Alum Seal Ring (PN 900-123-118-30), Pump Seal (PN 900-123-010-20). Total cost of oil change including labor, tax,etc.: US$235.84 and (3) Had them check the battery again and it was working fine (all cells are fine). This was back to the battery tender not turning off and me thinking that the battery was the culprit.

Nov. 13, 2006 (51,814miles) - (1) Spoiler warning light comes on: Faults found 9150. Replaced spoiler motor/drive assembly - Part No. 996-512-241-02 (spoiler drive)
(2)Failure Indicator error: Sender not showing correct oil pressure at times
Faults found 9121 Replaced oil pressure sender - Part No. 996-606-203-01

Spoiler drive was a grey area in terms of warranty coverage... but covered under original warranty as a good will gesture. Sender covered under CPO warranty.

Dec. 12, 2006 (53,576miles) - Ignition switch failed. When I turn off the engine and took the key out of the car, it still thinks my key is still in. Power and everything still on. I had to put the key very slightly back in and turn it counter clockwise a few times. I also have a problem with putting the key into the ignition now. I have to jiggle it and try different angles to get it in. Making an appointment to validate if it is covered by CPO. If not I will change it as the part that breaks seems to be fairly inexpensive. Update: Repaired. Replaced under CPO warranty - Part No. 996-347-017-07 Steer Lock Hsng w\SW

Nov 28, 2007 - 60K miles service done.

Feb 11, 2008 Fix the headlight switch (rather replaced it) since it was acting up. 996-613-535-00 Headlight Switch replaced also under CPO. Mileage: 61,249

Feb 19, 2008 Replace one oxygen sensor. Covered under CPO. Mileage: 61,596

CPO over

Jan 15, 2009 - 70,000 miles - Turn signal stalk stopped working (will not reset back to center when engaged). Need to order a new part and replace it. Part No. 996-613-219-10

It is silly how this car (and it is in stock form, well... only FabSpeed Gen3 exhaust mod) can reach insane speeds so quickly... I catch myself laughing all the way home or to work... ...and after my first DE on June 28 I have a higher level of appreciation for this car!!

Last edited by Wachuko; 09-14-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that you need anyone spending your money but don't forget the cf brake handle as well.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by CarreraMark
Not that you need anyone spending your money but don't forget the cf brake handle as well.
Not sure how the heck I forgot that one... thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 08:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also have Eric paint the rear bumperettes......still no idea why PAG refused to paint the rear bumperettes...even under the Exclusive Programme.

Eric (the DaVinci of Porsche Paint) did mine, makes a big difference:
http://www.bumperplugs.com/links.html
(yes, that's my Lapis 996TT at the top, after the painted bumperettes were received from Eric). Simple 5 minute job to remove.....6mm long hex, loosen bolt, remove bumperette.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Great idea, ltc... (appreciate the comments)

In fact, there is a set of Turbo Seal Grey Bumperettes in production RIGHT NOW that could be his if he wants.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another nice to have is the OEM non-smoker's kit for the center console.

Gets rid of the ashtray and gives you a nice little storage cup (with rubber bottom mat).
Again, Eric sold me mine, painted Lapis Blue to match the OEM painted center console....absolute perfect match. Simple 5 minute install.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Great idea, ltc... (appreciate the comments)

In fact, there is a set of Turbo Seal Grey Bumperettes in production RIGHT NOW that could be his if he wants.
Shut up! I can't, I can't... argghhhh..... Must be able to eat and sleep well at night....
Old 08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ltc
Another nice to have is the OEM non-smoker's kit for the center console.

Gets rid of the ashtray and gives you a nice little storage cup (with rubber bottom mat).
Again, Eric sold me mine, painted Lapis Blue to match the OEM painted center console....absolute perfect match. Simple 5 minute install.
Nice option... care to share what was the cost on that? Eric?

<must resist temptation... must hold on... must hold...>
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Also, battery drain seems to be of concern with these cars... I left the battery charger/tender in place over the weekend and the thing never turned off... in my 964 it would go off after a few hours and only turned on after I opened the door...

Has anyone here measured the normal drain on these cars?? I will continue to connect the tender every afternoon when I get home...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Don't forge the "rear wiper delete" plugs, door plug, front bumper plug from Eric.

While there are still rooms in the "shopping cart", grab the carbon fibre stuff too.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Jaime, BE CAREFUL a next stage turbo is pretty close!

And I will only get married once ...unless...

Jokes apart...looks stupidly beautiful!

I've see too many parts on your list for years and still no VALENTINE. That's the only upgrade that pays back and quiets wives
Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Dr. Dynamics
Jaime, BE CAREFUL a next stage turbo is pretty close!

And I will only get married once ...unless...

Jokes apart...looks stupidly beautiful!

I've see too many parts on your list for years and still no VALENTINE. That's the only upgrade that pays back and quiets wives
Look... anything on this car, as far as serious mods go, starts at US$3,000.00... this is not the 964 where with a couple of hundred dollars I was able to transform the noise into what it is today... same goes with the turbos, heck! even the software is in the upper thousands... no no no my friend... I will keep it stock (with the exception of the few cosmetic changes I am making) and enjoy it as the factory intended because I have no other option at this time

With regards to the Valentine... my birthday is coming up... you know where to send the gift
Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget the key update:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295563
(much nicer looking than the OEM original).
Just ordered mine from Jeff at Sunset Porsche.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Also, battery drain seems to be of concern with these cars... I left the battery charger/tender in place over the weekend and the thing never turned off... in my 964 it would go off after a few hours and only turned on after I opened the door...
Has anyone here measured the normal drain on these cars?? I will continue to connect the tender every afternoon when I get home...
Something is not right.
I've got 2 Porsche battery maintainers.
One on the 996TT (which goes over a year without being driven.....no, don't ask) and one on the 964 Euro Cup (which hasn't been started at all this year....spending all my time helping my son get up to speed with his new kart/class)

On both, the red light never stays on for more than a day or two, depending on the state of battery charge when I park them.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ltc
Something is not right.
I've got 2 Porsche battery maintainers.
One on the 996TT (which goes over a year without being driven.....no, don't ask) and one on the 964 Euro Cup (which hasn't been started at all this year....spending all my time helping my son get up to speed with his new kart/class)

On both, the red light never stays on for more than a day or two, depending on the state of battery charge when I park them.
It will be in the garage until Friday with the battery tender plugged.... we will see. I will take it to the dealer Friday morning for a few things I have notice and will add the battery situation to the list.

Thank you ltc.

Quick Reply: Pending projects and a few questions