Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 and kids

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:50 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GT3 and kids

i'm a recent lurker on this message board. been learning a lot of great info from this site. considering ordering a 997 GT3. this would be my first porsche. i fell in love with the 997 driving one in europe on vacation.

anyways, the car would be a part-time daily driver and occasional track toy. On occasion, I would like to take my 14mo son in the car as well. Is there an airbag off feature for the passenger side?

Let me get my flame suit on for even asking this, but would it be hard to actually put a back seat in the car if i wanted to ever take the fam out in the car. its such a beautiful car, I know I probably will be taking it everywhere. The seat would probably be in the car once in a blue moon but would still be nice to have one available. Would it be fairly easy retrofit?

If you are going to argue buying a CS instead, I considered it as that was what I drove in europe. Its a great car, but the way I would option it, I might as well get what I really want. GT3.

I drive some stiffly settup cars daily and prefer the firm ride so no issues with the GT3 other than possibly fitting a seat in the back. Even if a rear seat won't work out, I could live with it. As for the sunroof....well thats already taking up plenty of room in other threads :-)

TIA

-jim
Old 09-30-2006, 01:09 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

jim,
there is a weight sensor in the passenger seat that automatically switches off the
passenger seat airbags when the seat is unoccupied or fitted w/ a child seat.
i'd take a gt3 over a c2s anyday!
jeff
Old 09-30-2006, 01:35 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

thanks for reply jeff, what weight would trigger it? recaro young sport seats are kinda heavy but they sure are great child seats!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:25 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't suggest it nor do I condone it. However it's your perogative but keep in mind if you do put back seats in it, you're taking on all the liability and responsibility for the rear passangers in case of an accident. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:21 PM
soarteeth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

If you think you'll need the rear seats and loved the 997, why not order a 997S with the Aero kit and x51 option?
Unfortunately you'll also have to get the Sport Chrono package along with the "wart" to be able have the "Sport" button. Depending on what else you add there may not be much cost difference between the two. Go to the model cofigurator to get a feel for the comparable cost.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:50 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soarteeth
If you think you'll need the rear seats and loved the 997, why not order a 997S with the Aero kit and x51 option?
Unfortunately you'll also have to get the Sport Chrono package along with the "wart" to be able have the "Sport" button. Depending on what else you add there may not be much cost difference between the two. Go to the model cofigurator to get a feel for the comparable cost.
the sport button you refer to on the 997s x51 w/ sport chrono, and the one that is standard on the gt3, are unrelated.
jeff
Old 10-01-2006, 01:16 AM
soarteeth
Advanced

Originally Posted by icon
the sport button you refer to on the 997s x51 w/ sport chrono, and the one that is standard on the gt3, are unrelated.
jeff

In the GT3 the Sport button changes the PASM settings for "smooth" track surfaces vs rough or uneven road conditions. In the 997S with Sport Chrono Plus it changes the PASM along with remapping the engine management system and quickening the throttle response.

The PASM settings for a GT3 vs 997S will most likely be very different, in Sport and normal mode.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soarteeth
thanks, but i already said the way i would option it i would rather get a gt3.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I don't suggest it nor do I condone it. However it's your perogative but keep in mind if you do put back seats in it, you're taking on all the liability and responsibility for the rear passangers in case of an accident. Good luck with your decision.
lawyer? i'm not looking to sue porsche.
if i can mount oem rear seats in factory mounting points along with the belts, i don't see how it would be less safe than a CS.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

No not a lawyer but keep in mind that the car was not certified for rear passengers and therefore the liability even with any insurance company will be yours. In other words no coverage for those passengers whether your fault or not.

Picture this you get rear ended with your kids in the back, God forbid something goes awfully wrong and then you try to sue the "drunk driver" that hit you and that person's insurance realizes that the car didn't come with backseats...no coverage!

And no not an insurance person either; Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

Rear seats in a 996 GT3 has certainly been 'unofficially' done in England.

Can't be too hard to velcro the rear seats in ala rest of the 997 range and then attach the back rest as well.

Regarding the front passenger seat deactivation, you need a kit which Porsche will fit for you. It gives you an extra key slot which you can then deactivate the passenger air bag with and fyi costs us c.£300.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, while we're kind of on the subject, could someone spell this out to me clearly?

On the GT3 -

The PASM is switched between 'sport' (put simply 'for the track') and 'normal' (for the road) settings using the switch with the damper symbol.

The Traction Control (limiting wheelspin) is disabled with the 'TC Off' button. So...

what does the 'Sport' button in a GT3 do and which systems does it act on? Am I correct in thinking that it acts as a 'midway' setting between 'on' and 'off' for the TC?

Last edited by John Boggiano; 10-02-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Porsche with a dealer installed child safety option. With the factory seat (or really just a seatbelt buckle), you hook the seat buckle to the dealer installed receiver, and it disables the passenger air bag - my kids loved it.

Quick Reply: GT3 and kids