Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

I just returned from Road Atlanta and the Petit LeMans. Yes I know it is still ongoing but I have been there several days and could not wait to release this info.

I attended all presentations that were given at the Porshceplatz over the event. This morning the last presentation just over one hour from the start of the race was given by Wolfgang Durheimer, Porshce AG Exec. VP; Harmut Christian, Porsche Motorsports Director; Ume Brettiel, Pres./CEO Porsche Motorsports North America; and Peter Schwarzenbauher, Pres./CEO North America. Wow, what a group!

When it came time for Mr. Schwarzenbauher to answer questions regarding the 997 GT3 and RS I took my chance.

"Will we be able to order these without the hole in the roof?" (No political corectness on my part!)

Are you listening? Here was the answer from the PCNA Pres./CEO.

"On the GT3, no! On the RS, YES, but ONLY because of CUSTOMER RESPONSE!"

Victory for the letter writers after all! Do not listen to those who say that our efforts would fall on deaf ears. It would appear that their opinion has been swayed by our unending effort to have someone listen to reason. When he answered yes on the RS I clapped! Problem was, I was the only one! Here I am at a premier motorsports event with about 100 supposed enthusiasts and no one else seemed to care about that announcement. That certainly showed me what an uphill battle it was for us!

Other things said collectively by the group in response to questions:
1. The GT3s would begin shipping in Oct. (Hello, that is tomorrow!)
2. The RS should be seen around late spring/early summer. He would not commit to this however.
3. The Flying Lizard team in ALMS and the Tafel Racing team in Rolex have each bought two of the new 997 RSRs at $330k each! (They had one there for us to look at and it was sweeeetttt.)
4. Porsche will never turbocharge the Cayman. It will always sit BELOW the 911 which will always be the backbone of the Porsche company.
5. Porsche put diesels in the tractors they once made and never again will they build a tractor. i.e. NO Diesels in Porsches ever.
6. Porsche is doing very well financially. (NO duh based on my expenditures)
7. The Panamerica/Panamera is on slate to be delivered in 2009. They already have one prototype built.

Anyway, great news guys.

One last thing. Mr. Schwarzenbauher said that anyone wanting one of the RS should rush out to get on a list! That is the only information he gave that I felt was "old news."

Last edited by Chris L.; 09-30-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Everyone who contacted Porsche on this matter needs to give themselves a pat on the back. Well done!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Makes perfect sense to me. How else would they justify the price delta for the RS? Before it was mostly decals, an extra inch or so in the rear width and exclusivity. Now you'll likely be paying ~$15k to delete the sunroof when you net out the value of the other differences between the two cars.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Makes perfect sense to me. How else would they justify the price delta for the RS? Before it was mostly decals, an extra inch or so in the rear width and exclusivity. Now you'll likely be paying ~$15k to delete the sunroof when you net out the value of the other differences between the two cars.
he said it's only supposed to cost another 10k
Old 09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
if rs is 10k more = 116k base price, that would be great for some USA buyers.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:22 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Excellent ! Maybe we can save the 2008 997 GT3 as well.

How disappointing that you did not get any applause at the gathering.

So if they did listen to us on the 997 GT3 RS then why don't they send all who complained a form letter stating the change???

The diesel engine issue is one of the reasons Porsche AG is not competing in the top class in sports car racing.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I believe everything you wrote is a factual account. What I find hard to believe is the reason given for no sunroof in the RS. Their answer briefly appeases the dissatified, while not giving them what they want - a GT3 w/o sunroof. It also allows Porsche to build perceived premium into the RS. My best wishes to all who want it otherwise, but if the market proves Porsche "on the money", things will remain the same. The 996GT3 is still the real deal, IMHO.

Noah
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Default While I've got my shovel out

I'll add: It's highly likely that Porsche never intended to bring the RS to America with a sunroof. But it does make a nice marketing spin, doesn't it?

Noah
Old 10-01-2006, 12:39 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Man Chris if this is true and you better be telling the truth...we (those of us that put the whole letter idea together) have made this happen...it is with much satisfaction that I type this...awesome news!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
Where is that info coming from?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Hopefully the US Porsche dealerships will not configure many of the 997 GT3 RS on their own because if they do, I bet they option with sunroof. Real customers step forward.

Chris L.;

Hope this information is on the up and up.

How about the lighter flywheel /clutch for North America spec RS cars???
Old 10-01-2006, 12:53 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by N51
Chris,

I believe everything you wrote is a factual account. What I find hard to believe is the reason given for no sunroof in the RS. Their answer briefly appeases the dissatified, while not giving them what they want - a GT3 w/o sunroof. It also allows Porsche to build perceived premium into the RS. My best wishes to all who want it otherwise, but if the market proves Porsche "on the money", things will remain the same. The 996GT3 is still the real deal, IMHO.

Noah
I don't get it. I mean, I'm glad the RS will not have a sunroof mandatory but that would imply the whole roof resistance crash test cost rationale is completely bogus. If these guys rolled a few wide body 997's on their rig for the RS then wouldn't sunroof delete be available on the C4S or Turbo? Or did they have to destroy a handful of actual GT3-RS's? - which is really expensive.
There was all manner of tortured financial analysis and assertions by some on this board trying to justify the sunroof on the GT3 as a reasonable financial decision by Porsche. Seems to me the math for the RS is even worse given the lower volume than the GT3. And, if the math works for the RS then it certainly works for the GT3.
What then could possibly be the rationale for not offering sunroof delete on the GT3?
Am I missing something
Old 10-01-2006, 01:02 AM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjb
I don't get it. I mean, I'm glad the RS will not have a sunroof mandatory but that would imply the whole roof resistance crash test cost rationale is completely bogus. If these guys rolled a few wide body 997's on their rig for the RS then wouldn't sunroof delete be available on the C4S or Turbo? Or did they have to destroy a handful of actual GT3-RS's? - which is really expensive.
There was all manner of tortured financial analysis and assertions by some on this board trying to justify the sunroof on the GT3 as a reasonable financial decision by Porsche. Seems to me the math for the RS is even worse given the lower volume than the GT3. And, if the math works for the RS then it certainly works for the GT3.
What then could possibly be the rationale for not offering sunroof delete on the GT3?
Am I missing something
I agree. Just don't expect PCNA to tell us what's REALLY going on with the sunroof issue.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Noah,

What's up with all your conspiracy theories...we apparently got what we wanted. A 997 GT3RS with NO HOLE!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Am I missing something
Maybe they got an exception from the NHSTA/DOT based on the fact that it is or apparently will be a low volume model. Or maybe they, like Ferrari used computer simulations to get the exemption.

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT