2nd gear popped out into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 04:20 PM
TurboRod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2nd gear popped out into neutral

Howdy!

My '01 Turbo has just 500km and the 2nd gear has popped out into neutral at least 12 times. Most of them under slow cruising with no pattern that could indicate what is causing the popping out... :-(

I've read in the 996 forum (non-turbo) that some have had their transmission replaced.

My dealer is that the transmission on the non turbo is different from mine and it may not be required to exchange the transmission.

HELP!

I need to get this fixed even if I have to go to Suttgart and talk to the CEO.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 02-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear this happens when the trans case cracks?

Do you have any leaks?
Old 02-16-2002, 06:38 PM
Cutter
Intermediate

My transmission is sticking in gear. When I shift out of a gear that I've been in a while it feels like the clutch is not engaging. Just pulling it out of gear. I talked to my dealer about it they said that the are aware of the problem and the engine and tranny have to come out. FULL WARRENTY PROBLEM.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:51 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by TurboRod:
<strong>Howdy!

... the 2nd gear has popped out into neutral at least 12 times. Most of them under slow cruising with no pattern that could indicate what is causing the popping out... :-(
</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is a known problem with the Turbo. The usual Porsche fix is to replace the transmission.

S.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Shank996TT
Racer

Fixed,

Is this related to the second gear synchro?

I'm asking because, as part of my gearing change I'm about to do, they're also going to replace 2nd thru 6th synchros. I was wondering if I had that issue in the future, do I have to take out all my synchros/gearing too? vs. synchro is the nature of the cause and if I did replace it, the problem wouldn't arise.

-Ryan
Old 02-19-2002, 03:24 AM
Flat6
Intermediate

I had this problem, started after about 9000km. I had to get my Porsche tech to drive around with me for ever, on and off the gas before it did it for him (He did not believe me).

Anyway... Porsche sent me a new crated gear box. This one seems fine (doesn't like to go into first or reverse to easily, but all the other gears feel much nicer than my original which was very notchy going into second (up or down)).

Flat6
Old 02-20-2002, 12:44 AM
TurboRod
Intermediate

Hi Seth (Flat6),

I've read your other post "Whos who here..." and we have a lot in common: late 20s, BBS, ISP, etc...But we'll leave that to the other topic. ;-)

Thanks for your reply! I''ve still haven't received a formal response from my dealer in Brazil, I guess he is waiting for a reply from Germany on the issue.

He drove my car a couple of times for a couple of miles and, of course, the gear didn't pop out while he was driving...But my guess is he believes me and will live up to my expectations (read: solve my issue promptly).

Your input and of the others is extremely valuable and will help me gather more evidence to pass on to my dealer. Thanks to all the Internet entrepreneurs (us included ;-)) for providing us this tool which gives us consumers of whatever product more power!!!

BTW, a silly question: 996TT stands for Twin Turbo? In Brazil we call it just 911 Turbo...If that's the case then our cars are identical, since mine is also a '01 black, full carbon interior.

Also, once you got your transmission replaced did you get an invoice with some kind of a reference number or TSB which I could show my dealer. The Braziliain market is small and as far as I know since the introduction of the 911 Turbo (996) there have been sold only around 30, so my dealer says he never heard of this problem. If you have some kind of "official proof" (invoice with transmission swap) and could fax it to me it will help me alot. My e-mail is rmartinez@ieg.com.br.

Thanks again Seth and to all fellow Porsche enthusiast!
TurboRod

PS: If there are more of you out there that had this problem please reply this will help me even more!
Old 02-20-2002, 04:06 AM
Flat6
Intermediate

Cool, we do seem to have lots in common!

Regarding the "Invoice"... its still at the dealer, I forgot it there, they have it in my folder somewhere though and next time I head over I will grab it for you.

It took me a while to figure out how to get it to pop out... heres what I determined..

Gently on and off the gas between 1500-2500 RPM and eventually it will pop... don't use the brake to slow down, just let compression do its work.

The good news (ok not so good I guess) is that if they infact don't beleive you, atleast the problem will get worse, until one day you can get your tech/rep to drive around up and down some abandoned road (we used and old airstrip) until it finally does it for him.

I've had to argue about a few things now... My car used to stall randomly also when pulling off the gas (and putting in the clutch)... they would say, "are you sure it isn't your driving"... and I would say "I'll give you 20 bucks if you can stall a moving car". Anyways... I figured out how to replicate this problem, and showed them, then all of the sudden they started to believe that maybe infact my car was actually popping out of 2nd (of course, they were saying, are you sure you put it all the way in... oh well).

Best of luck.

The Part number for the tranny is in the catalog... there are two listed, but only one can be had... One is listed with limited slip, and the other without (we get the without version, as the PSM system does note like LSD).

I would argue to get that X50 tranny if it is infact tougher... complain that you have no faith in the "regular" transmission now, and you want the stronger X50 (If I had known about it, I would have).

Flat6
Old 02-21-2002, 12:11 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

On the cause of the problem ... I do not know the cause of the problem. My car doesn't exhibit it. I would just be guessing if I made a suggestion as to what I think it is. But what I heard from others is that it tends to happen when shifting during light cornering. Since Porsche just swaps out the transmission no one but they really know what the problem is.

On the question about the "TT" in 996TT ... this seems to be a uniquely American thing. In Europe we refer to it as just Turbo. Porsche has been putting two turbos into the Turbo for a long time now and for most of us the novelty has warn off.

S.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:01 AM
RedDog
Track Day

<strong>Howdy!

My '01 Turbo has just 500km and the 2nd gear has popped out into neutral at least 12 times. Most of them under slow cruising with no pattern that could indicate what is causing the popping out... :-(

I've read in the 996 forum (non-turbo) that some have had their transmission replaced.

My dealer is that the transmission on the non turbo is different from mine and it may not be required to exchange the transmission.

HELP!

Thanks,
Rod</strong><hr></blockquote>
I have had this same problem and the dealer is putting in a new transmission as i write this ill let u all know
Old 02-22-2002, 11:55 PM
RedDog
Track Day

<strong>Howdy!

HELP!

Thanks,
Rod</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: 2nd gear popped out into neutral