Sponsored by:

Sporadic clutch thump

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sporadic clutch thump

Quick question. I have approximately 5k miles on my '06 Carrera S and every 20 to 30 clutch engagements/disengagements there is a minor thump that happens in the rear engine area. Dealer didn't notice anything but it is hard to duplicate. One thought is that it could be part of the adjustable clutch system? Any one notice a similar issue?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes. Not sure if it is normal or not. My brother has an 05 I am going to have him drive mine and see if he hears anything. To me at times it almost feels like a loose engine mount. But it all may be very normal. I am just not sure. Mine is an 06 with 8K on it.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Leaveon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have about 500 miles on my 06 C2S but have noticed the type of noise you are describing. I didn't not neceserily assoicate with the clutch but my first thought was a broken motor mount. As if the motor might be lifting off it's mount on somewhat hard acceleration and then thumbing back down. What ever it is, it can not be normal or correct and plan on trying to more reliably duplicate it so I can duplicate it with a tech in the car.

Ah the joys of a "hand built" car.

Still gotta love it and I do.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
avdiscolo
Advanced

I think I have this too. I've noticed it from day 1, but since this is my first Porsche, I thought it was just a characteristic of the car. It seems to happen mostly when I let out the clutch in neutral when the car is cold, but it's not repeatable. If it happens once, I might be able to get it to repeat again immediately, but by the third try, it goes away.

I have an '06 C2S with 6300 miles. The build date was early May.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Porky
Instructor

When do you hear the thump? When you release the clutch? If so, I have it too!!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Yes, I hear it when I release the clutch.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I hear too when you let the clutch up in neutral quickly when cold. I thought it was a normal sound of the trans and engine mating. SO is it abnormal? Its my first Pcar too so i though it was normal for this car.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
ECS
Pro

Thanks for all the input. It seems like many of us have it and all tend to think it is normal. I will keep asking around. I am curious as to what it is. I go back to my original thought that maybe it has something to do with the self adjusting clutch. Why? My only reason is that none of my other P-cars had self adjusting clutches and none of them made that noise.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Scanners
Intermediate

Default thump

I have had the thump since Porsche changed the pressure plate. It drives me crazy because ive driven 997s without it and its a wondefrful solid connection between clutch and road but with this, it thumps at quiet moments of driving and definately feels incorrect. Porsche have looked at it and say its normal and on many 997s.
I am amazed at that comment, I think it should be looked at by Porsche engineering more seriously and rectified because I have had it not do it in the past.
A way to check it is to sit with the motor running, clutch in , neutral, clutch out, neutral clutch in first, clutch out neutral clutchin second, clutch out neutral etc. You will feel it thump everytime you let the clucth out while in neutral, if your 997 has the problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
ResB
Intermediate

I have this exact same issue.

It is a fault in my opinion as my '06 C2S never did it then all of a sudden it started. The OPC has replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel, bled the clutch, which has not rectified the problem. The car has been back to the OPC 3 times now, and is currently in pieces and undergoing investigation and I should find out today (Thursday) what they have found.

I also get the thud whilst changing gear (particularly the lower gears) and the thud appeared when the clutch pedal was nearing full release. Although I have the short shift, I also noticed a distinct increase in the "notchiness" in selecting 1st and 2nd gear.

It is not a normal characteristic of the car...I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
ResB
Intermediate

RESULT!

Apparently, it was a sticking thrust bearing! Only the first thing I mentioned some 4 months ago and after 3 visits to the OPC they finally resolve it. Well, lets hope so as I pick it up tomorrow and of course will know for sure then.

Chuffed to bits. Getting her back tomorrow.

So, all you with this problem (subject to confirmation tomorrow) don't be fobbed off by the OPC, get it sorted as it will lead to the Dual Mass Flywheel getting worn over a period of time and that will need replacing (as mine did), which is expensive I understand.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loud is this thump ?
I can barely feel something when i let the clutch out in neutral... seem to especially happen if i have been in gear (1st) stopped at a traffic light for a few seconds, and i shift to neutral and let the clutch out.
Certainly not a big noise,

Thx
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
ResB
Intermediate

Yes it's just a mild thump, but on mine it got progressively worse, but this was because it started to have an effect on the dual mass flywheel, which in turn exascerbated the problem.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
ECS
Pro

Thanks Res, mine just started happening again a month ago. I thought it was gone but its back. I will take this thread to my dealer and have them sort it out.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 AM
ResB
Intermediate

You're welcome.

Quick Reply: Sporadic clutch thump