Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I like my '99 996 more the longer I have it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I like my '99 996 more the longer I have it.

I've owned many more cars than most people and generally don't keep them very long, usually 2- 4 years and have 3-5 of them at any one time plus several motorcycles.

I've had my '99 996 Cab, my fifth Porsche going on 4 years and the longer I have it, the more difficult it seems to be to get rid of it. I looked long and hard for fifteen months to find what I consider to be the "Right Car" as far as all colors; top, interior and body; with just the right option package. It's like the car is just the way I would have liked to have ordered it, but not to have paid the $100k+ to have purchased it off the showroom floor.

Yes, I put a new MAF in it, a coolant reservior, and Porsche installed a new Factory upgraded motor in it due to a cracked sleeve, so all the shortcomings of the first year seem to be addressed. My car has almost 50k miles on it and seems to still drive like a new car and have that new leather smell every time I climb in the cabin.

My 996 is not a daily driver but I still manage to put about 5k miles on it a year. I may go up to a week without driving it so when I do it's a little like the first time all over again. Every time I look at it I appreciate the graceful yet subtile aggressiveness of the design and think it much better than the 997. Please no flames, it's just MY opinion. I also appreciate the classic, understated look of the full leather interior with a Carbon shifter and brake for accents with body color console and Sports seat backs.

My car is becoming like an old friend or favorite piece of furniture or something that you just like having around and you are comfortable with. I don't think if I got rid of it and replaced it with a new "anything" I would like it any better. Do any of you feel this way about any of your cars?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I with you Nick. I've had mine for 5 years now and every year the car seems to get better and more fun to drive. I have an original engine with no leaks whatsoever with just over 50k miles (40k are mine). My 996 is no longer a daily driver spending the majority of her time covered in my garage next to my wife's M3. I've driven new BMWs (3's and 5's) for most of my life and this is my first Porsche. I planned on keeping it for a year or 2 and then moving on to something else but am really happy with the car and don't feel the need to spend $80k to buy something else.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't it nice to drive the last Porsche without all the "sissy" controls on it? IMO, moving to a later model gets you less and less of a sports car. No LSD, PMS (or whatever they call it), egas, etc. Doesn't mean the new cars are not more powerful and faster, but they are made for the masses now and require less and less skill to drive.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I haven't had my 99 996 very long but absolutely adore the handling, performance and yes the styling. I think it is one of the most attractive cars I have ever seen...except for the lower front dam area. Incredible car.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i had my 99 996 cab for about 2 months so far and loving it........ but in the back of my mine, there's that unsure feeling of the engine failing on me or something is going to go wrong..........maybe b.c it's an older car, and i never had an jolder car before and i keep reading about all the faults and problems the 99 have......, i always buy new and never had to worry b.c all the miles on the car was put on by me.........
so far i am loving the car, and hope to love it even more as time moves on........can't wait until i start modding though.... justbought the clear side on ebay and a porsche key chain.......... man am i going all out or what......?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

I love my 99 996 so much that we are now racing together. She is doing GREAT too. Looking forward to the 48 Hours of Sebring in Feb too!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:36 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Good for you. I love my 996 more each day. It's a fun, fast toy. Bluemaxx - you da man - I'll "race" mine to Sebrinig to watch you guys duke it out.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:48 PM
monsmike
Intermediate

Bought my '99 996 in January of 2004...it had 74K miles and a new engine. No problems whatever since then , despite the fact that I leave it idle for 5 months a year while I spend the summer in Canada. My wife says it's the prettiest (and most comfortable) car she has ever known and refuses to even consider unloading it when when I get antsy about what I may have heard re RMS. That is to say, it will be with us forever!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

It's funny: When the 997 arrived I heard everyone going ga-ga over it, heard the body lines being described in minute detail, how to tell if from the 996, how much more handsome & attractive, etc, etc, how it's closer to the 993 look, the way the 996 should have looked...blah blah blah...

After all that, & after a couple years, I now think I too like the look of the 996 better than the 997 (echoing the first post). I like the more "futuristic" rounded lines better. Just my 2c.

I wouldn't kick a 997 out of the garage though, don't get me wrong! Esp the 505bhp turbo. I can't believe the technology in that beast! 'Course I have less chance of owning a 997 turbo than Arnold has of being president.

I was thinking of narrowing my search to only Y2K models. You guys are making me consider '99's that have had new factory motors installed. Was there a '99 Cabriolet Tip?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm with you Nick, I have owned my 2000 Carrera 2(See Avatar) for about 9 months now and I like it more every time I drive it!!! I believe the 996 is the greatest 911 of all time. Its styling, both inside and out, and its performance and feel are second to none in the realm of 911's IMHO. Sure the 997 is fractionally quicker but I still prefer the feel of the 996.

The 996 is more refined in practically every way over previous generation 911's but it still retains its pure sports car roots, it simply takes them to another level in my opinion. This is especially true of the interior styling. The interior of the 996 is more refined and comfortable than any of its predessesors however it still retains its pure sports car feel whereas the 997 on the other hand has gone too far with the refinement, almost to the point of resembling a Mercedes Benz. Don't get me wrong I would not kick a 997, or any other P-Car, out of my garage for leaking oil but I simply feel the 996 is the better car.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, anyone want to buy my 99 C2?

I loved it too, then I found my 02 Targa, and dang...
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 PM
dallasboats
Pro

'99 Love thread!!! Like a fine wine or vintage of Coors Light? Either way, it's good!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 584 Posts

Fully agree: a sorted out '99 is definitely a sweet spot. I've had four over the years and this will most likely be my last. Bill Gates feels the same way about his '99. There is just something about the '99 that slips away with each successive year. By '02 they don't feel at all the same. You know, that "sparkly" plastic that everyone complains about is actually the exact same as in the new Range Rover which has won worldwide acclaim for it's interior design? I absolutely love it and despise the cheaper "soft feel" plastic Porsche replaced it with in the '00.

I suppose the '99 might become a classic one day for these very reasons and more; not the least of which being the first of the water-cooled paradigm shift for Porsche.

I wouldn't let it go.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i wouldn't let the 99 go but i would love to pick up a 997 as well......don't get me wrong, i love the feel of the old school and the rawness of it, i just love safety and power that comes with each sucession of the new ride.....
Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM
racer
Drifting

996's are the new "mid year" cars (1974-1977 911's).. the older they get, the better [looking] they get. The clean lines of the 996 are to be appreciated.

Quick Reply: I like my '99 996 more the longer I have it.