Sponsored by:

On-Track DE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts
Default On-Track DE Insurance

How many of you guys have something that covers you on track?

Guys, I have a buddy that is in the insurance business and he was just telling me about a program he has just started up that offers on-track insurance. I don't know all the details about it at this point but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. It an additional policy on top of your existing policy that covers any on-track incident as long as it is not a timed event. I am sure there are a lot more details than what I have said above. This isn't a sales pitch as I don't know all the details I need to know but more of a post to let you guys know what else is out there if interested.

If anyone wants anymore info on it please contact him directly:

Chris Maume
Snellings Walters Motorsports Insurance
cmaume@snellingswalters.com
Old 03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'll pass that around when folks ask me about who sells track day coverage. It's about time somebody gave us a hand.

BW
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Thanks, I just signed up for this. Chris seems like a good guy, and he is very responsive. Policy cost is 3% of the value of the car (defined as market value plus modifications that can be replaced) plus 4% tax on that. So for 60K in coverage my premium is $1,872 with no limitation on the number of trackdays and $2K deductible.

I have never had DE insurance; previously I trusted my street policy would cover me through their "untimed event" provision. I now have ca. $70K in this car and my wife and I use it a fair bit. Two run groups over at least eight weekends = 32 DE days minimum. For me, that's $58.50/day/driver.

I changed my mind about getting "DE" insurance because companies have learned that DEs are not exactly "schools". My baseless belief is about half the companies now exclude coverage if you are on track.

Mine does not do so but coverage is excluded for timed events, for racing events, or preparation for competition. DE is none of these (I have no racing license, the car is street legal and has no logbook, the tires are DOT, timing is not allowed, passing is by permission only, etc.) but (1) this way I do not have to argue with my company and test my theories and (2) now I have 60K insurance (where my "street" policy will not give me that much), so I can replace the car easily for a fubar.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard about this and it seems like a pretty good deal. Much better terms than Laurel.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly, Chris tells me this insurance is not available in Canada.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Is this a US backed company unlike the Laurel policies that is not enforceable by the US court system should they go under???

I didn't see anything on their website about the DE policies, etc.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

The DE policy, I am told, is a new product. They have done race insurance for years.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Who is the carrier that underwrites these policies? That, IMHO, is the most important question. The guys at Snellings-Walters may be great, but if the underwriter is not a good company, then the insurance isn't worrth much.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

They are underwritten by Great Lakes Re, a subsidiary of Munich Re. These are A+ rated carriers, according to AMBest.com and are very stable.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
They are underwritten by Great Lakes Re, a subsidiary of Munich Re. These are A+ rated carriers, according to AMBest.com and are very stable.
Second that; MunichRe is one of the biggest insurance and reinsurance operations in the world. Not that big means stable, but I wouldn't worry about them.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
How many of you guys have something that covers you on track?

Guys, I have a buddy that is in the insurance business and he was just telling me about a program he has just started up that offers on-track insurance. I don't know all the details about it at this point but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. It an additional policy on top of your existing policy that covers any on-track incident as long as it is not a timed event. I am sure there are a lot more details than what I have said above. This isn't a sales pitch as I don't know all the details I need to know but more of a post to let you guys know what else is out there if interested.

If anyone wants anymore info on it please contact him directly:

Chris Maume
Snellings Walters Motorsports Insurance
cmaume@snellingswalters.com
+99999999999999999999999999999

I also know Chris personally, and have done business with him. I strongly endorse what Seth says here.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone know how their rates are for racing?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I used them once for racing insurance in a pro race. For the level of coverage, I found them extremely reasonable.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Was that the "code brown" race?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Haha! No, I was too dumb then to buy insurance. It was a SWC race I did last year, in a car much more valuable than the GAC "Code Brown" car.

Chris is good people, and really knows his business. He has LOTS of serious A-list pro teams as clients.

Quick Reply: On-Track DE Insurance