Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 as an everyday driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts
Default GT3 as an everyday driver

I have always used my turbos as my daily drivers (I have a 997tt) and I don't track my cars. I commute to my office 2X weekly on the Saw Mill Parkway north up to CT and that's about as fun a commute as you can get in the NYC area.

I've been reading many wonderful things about the 997GT3 and wonder if it's the right car for me. I've driven Porsches for over 30 years, and I might be ready for one that has a more overt, focused personality.

Opinions please - is the 997GT3 a reasonable every day street car (After driving it, I didn't think the 996 GT3 was for me). How is it in the rain?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is entirely viable for regular day to day use, and the option list means that you don't need to make any sacrifices.

The front splitter is a bit low, and the MSCs have limited life, so you might be better with approved road spec tyres.

No problems in adverse weather, just like any other 911.

Very clever car and highly addictive - built to be used and enjoyed whenever possible.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I drive my 996 GT3 everyday. The 997 Gt3 is probably even better as a daily driver.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Bronxville for two years - I drove a GT3 on a daily basis.

It was no problem

But I am fit, and I sit in a very relaxed position in the car.

However, I am not American and most of my American friends have problems with this car as a daily commuter machine amongst East Coast potholes.

It does demand a certain amount of attention.

R+C
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by photonscience
I have always used my turbos as my daily drivers (I have a 997tt) and I don't track my cars. I commute to my office 2X weekly on the Saw Mill Parkway north up to CT and that's about as fun a commute as you can get in the NYC area.

I've been reading many wonderful things about the 997GT3 and wonder if it's the right car for me. I've driven Porsches for over 30 years, and I might be ready for one that has a more overt, focused personality.

Opinions please - is the 997GT3 a reasonable every day street car (After driving it, I didn't think the 996 GT3 was for me). How is it in the rain?
stick w/ your turbo.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
porkernut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't got 30 years of Pork experience, only about 16!!! But I have loved the 996TT & now run a 997GT3, I loved the Turbo but after a few years fancied a change, the Gt3 is a breath of fresh air! The new model with standard sports seats is pretty much as usable as a Turbo, but with that high screaming 8400 rpm red line, amazing sound, RWD & more involving tactile drive-ability it hits my spot. Not better, just a refreshing change, I'd recommend you try it!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
It is entirely viable for regular day to day use, and the option list means that you don't need to make any sacrifices.

The front splitter is a bit low, and the MSCs have limited life, so you might be better with approved road spec tyres.

No problems in adverse weather, just like any other 911.

Very clever car and highly addictive - built to be used and enjoyed whenever possible.
Ditto
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

I've been without a porsche for two years now and I'm itching to get back in. Very tough decisions with the current lineup. The GT3 appeals to me on so many levels. I'll never drive it in the snow, but we get more than our share of rain in NJ. Is it simply a matter of changing the tires to conquer the wet weather? I've read more than a few posts regarding the tendency for hydroplaning.

Also, and I hate to even bring this up, how is the noise level in the cabin under "normal" driving? I had a set of fabspeed muffler bypasses on my 993TT and my wife hated riding in the car. I know this shouldn't be a factor, but it sometimes meant the difference between taking the porsche or the audi on long trips.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, if you don't track your car, why go with the track version of the 911? It's very low, firm, loud, comes with track tires that are not good in the cold / wet, etc. If it's speed, exclusivity, and performance you are after, why not the turbo? Or, why not the 997S?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I've been without a porsche for two years now and I'm itching to get back in. Very tough decisions with the current lineup. The GT3 appeals to me on so many levels. I'll never drive it in the snow, but we get more than our share of rain in NJ. Is it simply a matter of changing the tires to conquer the wet weather? I've read more than a few posts regarding the tendency for hydroplaning.

Also, and I hate to even bring this up, how is the noise level in the cabin under "normal" driving? I had a set of fabspeed muffler bypasses on my 993TT and my wife hated riding in the car. I know this shouldn't be a factor, but it sometimes meant the difference between taking the porsche or the audi on long trips.

Sounds like your wife is like my wife. My wife rode one time in my GT3 and never again since. This isn't a "take her out on a date, wife car"
Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride will be firmer than your TT. The 997 GT3 has a high-effort clutch and shifter, which makes driving in traffic a bit of a job.

The GT3's engine is very tractable and pulls smoothly from 2,000 rpm, but lacks the abundant low-end torque of the TT. The tradeoff is the GT3's immediate response to a call for more power, with no lag whatever, and its incredible pull from 6,000 to redline..

Noise levels in the cabin are very reasonable, although not of Lexus quality. The muffler bypass lets you cruise quietly, yet make gorgeous noises when you wish to.

To my way of thinking, the GT3 is a car whose virtues only become apparent when it's being operated near its limits. It is so crazy fast that it's insanity to do this on public roads. I suspect that since you don't do track events. you'd prefer the TT.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by khaug
To my way of thinking, the GT3 is a car whose virtues only become apparent when it's being operated near its limits. It is so crazy fast that it's insanity to do this on public roads. I suspect that since you don't do track events. you'd prefer the TT.
This all you need to know.

BTW, the TT would trounce the GT3 in straight line performance and on par if not better in track performance. But then again the GT3 has a tail on its rear which tells everyone "I am a race car".
Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
But then again the GT3 has a tail on its rear which tells everyone "I am a race car".
Yup, that is all the tail does for the car. I am impressed by how much you know about Porsches Nick. You are seroiusly a living legend.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Luis he actually made sense a while ago but lately his posts have become so odd that I wonder if dementia is not setting in
Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Honestly, if you don't track your car, why go with the track version of the 911?
Because it is a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: GT3 as an everyday driver