Another rebuild/EFI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rebuild/EFI conversion

I had a little issue with my piston rings

This forced me to do a top end rebuild and as is the case with very many in a similar situation, I decided that "while in there" might as well do the case as well and while they are at it, throw in EFI as well.

I am fortunate to be ~20 miles from a place called SpeedWerks where they build and rebuild race cars as well as do street cars in between. But races and race support is their bread and butter business. The co-owner has been building Porsche engines for 28 years so I feel real good about this project. They also happen to be a Motec dealer so therefore my EFI system is Motec, and I went for the old and proven M48. For ignition I will be getting Denso coils on plugs.

Here are some pictures of the parts that are going in as well as pics of some of the stages of the work that have been done already. I took the car in 3 months ago for this job and I have reason to be cautiously optimistic that I might get the car back by the end of April.( That's because the next race apparently is in a months time only). I realize that if that happens, I am really lucky, and it would be no surprise for the job to last longer. You will notice that I am also changing some parts, like the crank and the rods.

New (3.6 RSA) and Old cranks - notice the tapered end of the new shaft and the narrower counterbalances for easier rotation:

Carrillo rods replacing the old turbo rods:

Twin Plugging Work in Progress

In the process of porting to 42mm

Cams new (GT2 Evo) and old (930.105.143.1R/964105 246)

Starting to put the engine back together:

engine with 3.2 intake sitting on it - injectors: 72lb/hr Siemens - after this picture taken, the throttle body was rotated 180 degrees. Also the 3.2 intake just sitting there for the picture, they were short of a couple of spacers that were supposed to arrive this morning.

Turbo: Custom Garret GT3582R (oil cooled only)
This is one of those custom turbos that you can't really get much information on, but I do know something, although very little. We measured the
Turbine exducer and it was 64mm. I'm guessing the inducer would be about 74mm which would match approximately some P trim wheels. The "claim" is though that this is a clipped Q trim wheel. Apparently this is what my builder was told. They've had a business relationship working at races going back lots of years. The compressor inducer measured 62.66mm. The stamps on the housings show Compressor A/R of 0.70 and Turbine A/R of 0.82 although I was told a different number for the turbine A/R. So, bottom line: quite confusing and secretive but as long as it delivers as they say I should be happy.

BTW my first choice would have been the HF2 but I was left with some doubt in my mind regarding comfortably matching my goals. I did call Stephen at IA to check. Having said that, I realize that I may very well not achieve my goals in any case, but...that's what's behind going with the one I got. I was extremely happy with the HFS.

GUARD TBD - I'm pretty excited about this one - TBD because my car is and will remain mainly a street car.

And then best of all, M48 with continuous data logging and advanced tuning options (I think that's the wording my builder used - of course I still need to start getting familiar with all that stuff - I think the codes are M48 ADV for advanced tuning and data logging and M48 AFM for the Lambda option)

I will be posting periodically (don't dare to estimate how long the intervals might be) as there is progress on the car.

Last edited by Olli; 08-18-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Wow....what a pile of rings!!!! It is looking good... What HP figure are you looking for??

Alos, I was up in your area a few years ago... We ate at a restaurant that was made out of an old boiler room. It contained a HUGE steel boiler door. Do you know of the place?? Is it still there? We remembered good food...

Brad
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Olli
Racer

I think that's the Vineyards, I know of it but never eaten there...now I must though...Thanks!
As for HP, I'd like around 535 at the wheels.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:57 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Very nice.

Any idea why your rings broke up ?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Nathan! No, I am not absolutely sure but the car was running perfect until I took it to the place that did my first round of bolt on modifications and asked them to do a oil change. After that, the compression was gone and the car was back-firing excessively. So, I can only guess what happened, i.e. that someone "test drove" the car without warming it up properly.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The build looks good.

I thought broken rings was a sure sign of detonation. I had the 96 piston ring piece set myself when I pulled the cyliders off.

David at Speedwerks is a good guy and very knowlegable. A little slow to get things done like most busy shops. I always get my car dynoed there on the way to VIR when needed.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Olli
Racer

Yes, I enjoy going there just for the continuous education I am getting from him and he seems to enjoy sharing his knowledge too. And I believe John has been working on Porsches for more than 30 years and he doesn't mind sharing his knowledge either. They have a great group of people working there.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Olli
Racer

Coils are on:

Odds and ends like throttle linkage and distributor wheel are in:

and the next work will be done after the engine+transmission are in the car:

Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Cool!!! I thought about that coil approach, but I thought it would be too much. From the looks of it, I was wrong. Do the coils have ignitors built in? Are they GM?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Very nice looking build. What kind of I/C are you using- any mods to get it to fit?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Olli
Racer

Thanks David,

Your build as well as Schnele's, Chet's and several others is the reason why I just had to do the next round of mods when there was a reason for opening the engine up. These cars are really exciting hobbies.

Regarding the coils, they are Denso 580 coils and I think some GM cars have them too. I believe most Denso coils have integrated ignitors, including these.

Thanks Jim,

Have been following your build as well and looking forward to updates.
My Intercooler is a RUF IC and it needs to be modified to get it to fit. The next round of modifications will probably see a larger IC as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

That looks good Olli. I like the way they mounted the coils.

Dave has done work for me the in the past, I only wish it had turned out like that!

Looks like he's turned it up a notch.

Brian
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Brian! Looking forward to meeting you and A930Rocket , sandman and others from this area at VIR some day. Of course I will probably be driving with some instructor as a beginner, but nevertheless, would be nice to meet people from this forum in real life too.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks very good. I like the coil placement is very nice.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Olli
Racer

Thanks Stephen! Coming from you it means a lot

Quick Reply: Another rebuild/EFI conversion