Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

link?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:50 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry,

I do not know how to create a link! The clip I have is from Windows Movie Maker. How can I get it to you?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
whakiewes
Pro

You can email it to me at whakiewes@aol.com so long as its not too big, and I will post it up for you.

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 01:23 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Spin

I heard about your spin - I felt bad. Any advice? I'll see you at Summit May 7th and 8th. Did you change the settings of your rear sway bar? Mine came with full hard in the rear and one from full soft in the front. Were the road temps to blame?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Stephan - Did you get your car fixed yet? You notice any more stability after we cranked up the wing? See you in May
Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by stisseront
Turn 9.

Enjoy!
997 GT3 Spin At Summit Point Click Here

Video was just uploaded. May take a minute or two for it to be available to see so if it doesn't show up at first, try again in a few minutes!

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Stephan - You figure out what went wrong? From the video looks like you still had plenty of track out and you didn't pinch it. From the sound, maybe you got on the throttle a little too hard. The track was cold and felt slick to me (with the cups on). Looks like when you got on the gas, you lost traction.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
str8ner
Racer

Jonathan and Ryan,

The setings on the car were F:Camber:-2 degrees, Toe -0.02', Caster7.59
B:-2.35,0.15
Rear sway bar was in the middle setting as the car was understeering a lot at VIR (was fuul soft)
I didn't lift at all and am still trying to explain my spin. May be too much throttle as was in 3rd gear in high RPM. Listen to the video if I can get it to you.
Wing totally vibrating past 140mph.
Tires Nitto NT01. Started with way too much pressure Ended at 42PSI hot. Car felt very unstable. Drop pressure little by little and ended up at F33, B35. Felt a lot better. Lower would probably even better. Not as responsive as MPSC.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
str8ner
Racer

Ryan,
As you mentionned the trck was slippery. There also was a lot of that thin sand blowing accross the track. This may be part of it as well. Just trying to blame on something else than the driver! Spin happen on MPSC. Even though I did not like the feel of the Nitto I did much better with them than I did with the MPSC.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:18 PM
whakiewes
Pro

I would concur that after watching it a few times, as you came out of the turn, at the 1:20 mark in the video, you can hear the tires break loose as the the RPM's raise. I would account it to cold track/tires and too much power. It didn't appear to be an aerodynamic/handling issue. The driving was smooth and rythmic, then at the 1:20 mark the tires start spinning. If you were in 3rd at those RPM's, the chances of you catching the tires letting go like that under power is slim. I didn't hear any let off until the spin was completely involved, so again I think its a tire/track issue.

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by stisseront
Ryan,
As you mentionned the trck was slippery. There also was a lot of that thin sand blowing accross the track. This may be part of it as well. Just trying to blame on something else than the driver! Spin happen on MPSC. Even though I did not like the feel of the Nitto I did much better with them than I did with the MPSC.
I think the only action you could have taken was to back off the throttle right at the 1:20 mark of the video to about 1/3 throttle. You need to get a MoTeC installed so we can see throttle and brake inputs to improve issues that happen like that. I think you came out of the turn and bled into full throttle, just as I have done hundreds of times, the only difference was your tires broke loose. It happened so quickly, espc. on R-Compounds, that about your only option was to hold on for the ride. My experience on R-comps (MPSC, Pirelli Corsas, Yoko A032R, Kuhmo 710, and Hoosier DOT-R's) is that they aren't very forgiving once the limits have been exceeded, especially the Hoosiers. The best I have driven as far as being a linear rate of slip was the A032R's, but they are marked as Auto-X tires, so I don't know how they would hold up to the abuse of continuous track driving.

From watching it, I don't see much driver error. You weren't jerky, running wide, or being abrupt. Everything was smooth and rythmic. I think you may have held the throttle too high for about 1 second too long, but being that you were in a helmet with a stock exhaust, and loud R-compounds, you probably missed the slip until it was too late. Moral of the story...get bypass pipes so you can hear the engine better, go with full slicks in different compounds with tire warmers, and install a MoTeC so we can analyze how you were REALLY driving .

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see it that you could have stayed out left a little later. After a brief breathing of the pedal to set the front end you could have applied the throttle earlier prior to turn in to set the rear. Although we can't see your hands, we hear lockup while still pointing straight so it is not clear what amount, if any, counter steering or throttle application was applied and once the throttle was lifted for braking, the rear became totally unloaded.....

so with the lonely tire running off of the tire wall into the wilds, I have to ask; what was the damage?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM
jbeanstalk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a little too quick back into the throttle, or was there some debris on the track? Didn't seem overly abrupt on the video.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 PM
GT3RS Racer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the TC on?

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Spin at Summit