Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Spin at Summit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not hear it kick in, so I am assuming not. When TC came on in our C4S, you knew it was taking over. There was no mistaking it!

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 PM
GT3RS Racer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walter Röhrl drives nearly the same time with TC on or off on track. I think it's not a great handicap to drive with TC on.

Markus
Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Looks to me like a tad early turn-in with what appears to be a cold track. It is up to the driver to slowly test the limits of a new ride under various conditions. I am guilty of being impatient and have nearly spun at 120+mph in the TT middle of turn 2 at TWS. Same deal - cold track, new car, brash driver.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TISSERONT!!!!

Sorry to see the spin and hear of the minor damage. I think it is nearly impossible to know exactly what happened since we can't see your hands and you have no data.

Ryan, just a point of clarification: When someone says "you are pinching it," all it means is that you didn't open the wheel enough at that point and time. So, despite the fact that Stephan had plenty of track left doesn't mean he necessarily was not pinching it. I had the same misunderstanding about terminology until my WG wreck. Until that time, I thought pinching it referred only to turning the wheel in more as you run out of track at track out because you are afraid of going off. Since that was my understanding, I would argue with people when they said I might have pinched the car, until I realized what they were saying.

OK, despite the fact that we can't see everything, I would guess, and its only a guess, that you got back on the gas too aggressively for track conditions, you were just a tad early (although I don't think that alone was the cause, but probably a contributor), and you may have failed to open the wheel enough (pinched it) due to the understeering and/or you got behind the car. Could that have been possible?

We really need to get together soon. I have some nice bottles of wine with your name written all over them.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Man, almost eerie how that car came around. With most spins you see driver error pretty clearly. Definitely no lift as you can hear revs pop as he breaks traction.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
Man, almost eerie how that car came around. With most spins you see driver error pretty clearly. Definitely no lift as you can hear revs pop as he breaks traction.
My thoughts as well. It appeared to me as I think back to my experiences that everything was about as smooth as it could be. Of course I am not pro racer, nor do I have anything close to instructor status, but I really just think the tires didn't have enough grip for the conditions, or he just overshot the grip of the rear tires (ran too hot, which I hightly doubt considering the weather of late). Although you can't see his wheels, you can easily see the motions the car under goes, which wasn't jerky at all. If he was at upper RPM's in 3rd, thats what over 100mph which would have been rather hard to catch regardless.

Still curious as to the damage!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
TISSERONT!!!!
Ryan, just a point of clarification: When someone says "you are pinching it," all it means is that you didn't open the wheel enough at that point and time. So, despite the fact that Stephan had plenty of track left doesn't mean he necessarily was not pinching it.
Without seeing the wheel you can't tell, so I was assuming he didn't ...since he wasn't wide left and trying to keep in on the pavement (I was giving stephan the benefit of the doubt)

Not only was the track cold, but there was a bit of loose dirt around the apex in 10 ... probably a contributing factor.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM
frayed
Race Car

Sometimes you see in car vids of spins from a blowout or oil on the track. Looks like one of those videos to me.

Heat in tires? Man, he was tearing up the track for 1.20 and that was definitely not a warm up lap. Seems to he was pushing it hard enough to have plenty 'o heat. From the sound of the motor, sounds like he was on the gas plenty, and we all know how much grip these cars generate on throttle. Otherworldly amounts of grip. And, typically power-on oversteer is not a problem in these cars near redline in 3+ gears given the speed and amount of tq (or lack of) at the wheels you are putting down.

Just guessing here. . . he was near the limits and some junk on the track did him in.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmag
Without seeing the wheel you can't tell, so I was assuming he didn't ...since he wasn't wide left and trying to keep in on the pavement (I was giving stephan the benefit of the doubt)

Not only was the track cold, but there was a bit of loose dirt around the apex in 10 ... probably a contributing factor.
Ryan, I think you may be missing my point. My point is that when someone says he could have been "pinching the wheel," all that means is that you didn't open the wheel soon enough. Since the rear end came around, I am assuming he didn't open the wheel soon enough . . . where you are on the track is irrelevant.

Frayed . . . the track was very, very cold that weekend, near freezing IIRC. T9 is probably the most dangerous turn at Summit, particularly since it has a little bump at about 3/4 of the way through. Not sure that was a factor here. Combination of the extreme conditions and aggressive throttle work could have been enough right there . . .
Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

the real issue for this turn was that you were not far enough right coming out of the carousel which led to an early left into 8 leaving you too far right IMO entering 9 early and tried to stay in tight which led to lightening up the right rear under throttle => throttle oversteer
Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
str8ner
Racer

The damage was only to the bumper - no body damage whatsoever...I did lose the 'G' from the 'GT3' also- planning on keeping it a 't3'
The car is being fixed now....need to get ready for Summit on 5\7-8..
Here is a photo before we completely taped up the bumper and drove for the rest of the event (with different wheels/tires). The T\C was actually on- never felt any interference from it however....
Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
str8ner
Racer

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/gt3damagesummit2.jpg

I am clearly technologically challenged today.....

above is the link to the photo...
Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Nice damage! The T/C on the GT3 is really unintrusive. In our C4S with it on, at anything over about 1 degree yaw it was freaking out. The RS4 is just as bad. Was the tire rolling off in the video yours, or a barrier tire you hit?

Wes
Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
frayed
Race Car

Oh Hell, that's just painful to view.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stisseront
Tires Nitto NT01. Started with way too much pressure Ended at 42PSI hot. Car felt very unstable. Drop pressure little by little and ended up at F33, B35. Felt a lot better.
So sorry to hear about your spin but I will comment on your adjusting of the NT01's. I run them as well on my GT3 and they are nowhere close to optimal at your setting of 33/35. You are quite a bit underinflated. You should be targeting 38-40 all the way around. Anything above 40 and it starts to get slick but still very progressive. Running those low temps are not as stable as you think. I didn't believe it at first and thought 40 was going to be high but the engineers at Nitto comfirmed that the OPTIMAL pressure for that tire on the track is 40. Hate to say it, but you were WAY low on pressure. That and the cold temps outside and you would have been nowhere close to the grip level you needed for that incident (I was all over the place at low 30's when I first experimented). Not saying you would have avoided it all things the same since the throttle app without unwinding fast enough could have been unrecoverable at just about any psi.

Again, sorry to hear about your spin. We live and we learn. Glad to hear it was only the car hurt and not you.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Spin at Summit