Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, is inside front wheel lift inherent to the 944/968 chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts
Default So, is inside front wheel lift inherent to the 944/968 chassis?

I really like the way my full-race suspension 968 F-stock car drives right now. Quick, comfortable, quite well balanced. But... I do get inside front wheel lift of a couple inches and it is often. Is this just the nature of the 944/968 series chassis in racing? If not, I imagine I need a bit more spring.

Would welcome input from my fellow 944/951/S2/968 racers and trackrats out there.

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I get the same thing with my car. I just went to a stiffer rear spring to see if I can stop this. In pictures, it looks like my car is "falling over" on the outside rear opposite the front tire that is being lifted. Do you see the same?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

My old car did this in a few corners but then again the spring rate was fairly soft. I've not heard about this in the new car, or seen it on track on other 944 cup cars.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

In my experience, it's the older 911s that are prone to lifting a wheel. I've never seen evidence of lifting a wheel in my 951 (with 500lb spring in front and 700lb rear).

What sway bars are you running (specifically rear)?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need stiffer rear springs. There are some spots where I might be able to get a front wheel up just a little, but only barely noticeable.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
complexx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

700 lb springs in the rear? is that standard among 944's? It seems very stiff. Reason why I ask is that I think we might be too soft back there and have been wondering how much is needed.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Joe. You definitely need stiffer rear springs. You are lifting the front wheel because your car is sitting down in the back under acceleration. Match the stiffer springs with either a stiffer front bar, or a softer rear bar to retain your current balance.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
I really like the way my full-race suspension 968 F-stock car drives right now. Quick, comfortable, quite well balanced. But... I do get inside front wheel lift of a couple inches and it is often. Is this just the nature of the 944/968 series chassis in racing? If not, I imagine I need a bit more spring.

Would welcome input from my fellow 944/951/S2/968 racers and trackrats out there.

Thanks in advance,
What spring do you have in the back?

I have a 500. T-bar still in there, but indexed out of the way, afaik. Never felt I had an issue with lifting the front tire, but someone did mention it to me at a DE recently. Said he could see me slightly lifting the RF going up around Summit Point T6/7 area. I am only running shaved RA-1s, so I may have to take another look at my suspension after I get my BFG R1s. I run my Tarret front sway full soft, so I could probably get away with a stiffer rear spring and retain similar balance like Larry said.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by complexx
700 lb springs in the rear? is that standard among 944's? It seems very stiff. Reason why I ask is that I think we might be too soft back there and have been wondering how much is needed.
I am not using the rear torsion bars -- but coil over shocks. The shocks mount to the rear control arm about 2/3s of the way from the pivot point to the center line of the hub.

Because of this, you need to run a higher rate spring than your "intended wheel rate". Running the 500s in front and the 700s in the rear give me about the same "wheel rate" front and rear.

I've been in cars with wheel rates of about 400lbs all around and thought they handled very nicely.... That seems to be a sweet spot for bumpy tracks and occasional road usage.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave
I am chasing the same issue and concur with the others you need a higher rear spring. Do 968's have T bars, if sso you still got em??
I Imagine you a running a fairly heavy car due to your class. 800's in the rear is not at all unheard of.
Only way to find out is to goto the track with a few sets of springs an have someone stand at the corners in question. I would work in 100lb increments, and prob start at 600, but dont know what you presently have.
Good Luck
Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My son runs a 951 with coil spring rears (no torsion bars) and has researched all kinds of data on spring rates and packages. Here is a great site on effective spring rates and spring packages. BTW the effective rear spring rate is .65, so if you were running 400 front springs and wanted to match that rate in the back, you would have to run 615 lb rear springs.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

I have always used .56.

Wheel lift is NOT normal to the 944 as it is in the 911. Spring rate can definitely effect this, but you also need to look at roll stiffness. It is not uncommon for people to have a much larger sway bar on a car than it really needs. Many of the available 944 front bars are indeed larger than the need.

On a softer sprung car, the sways do a larger percentage of the job of leveling the chassis. When it comes to serious track or race cars, it is the springs that really control roll, and the sways are down to tuning balance. Regardless of the application, it is also not uncommon for people to crank these bars up tight thinking they are reducing body roll.

When you get some serious springs, you should start with sways full soft, and then use them to balance the chassis only. Otherwise, you may be running with too much roll stiffness, the end result of which is a loss of suppleness and often grip. If the car feels too floppy with the bars at full soft, adjust your damping (if so equipped). If this does not work, go with stiffer springs.

In my experience, you don't necessarily need that bigger sway bar, especially in the front. If you have the correct spring rates, the bars can be smaller, and again, most of what they are used for is tuning balance. Remember that a sway bar is TRYING to pick a tire up. NOt necessarily what you are looking for, eh?

My car is at 500F/450R full coil with Welts at 2500lbs and change. It would lift the front inside at times, causing brake lock when trailing into some corners. I backed the front bar to full soft and it did mitigate the lift quite a bit.

Not completely, but...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

I have always used .56
Yeah, we thought that it was .56 too, but that website showed .65. I guess that we are still not sure, but if you go with .6 to hedge your bets, you won't be too far off. BTW, Dan runs 400 in the front & 550 in the back, and his car comes off of the turns like a rocketship. No mid-corner or exit understeer at all.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great thread.
I did not know about the multiplier for the rears...

I'm currently running 450's on all 4 corners with MO30 sways and feel the car is pretty well balanced.
I do have some lean in the corners and have been thinking on upgrading to 550's all around but after this discussion maybe I should just increaase the rears.
Thoughts??
Old 04-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Eddie, do you have torsion bars in the rear?

Over the years I've run into people who use a much heavier spring in either the front or the rear, and they've been happy with their cars -- much to my surprise. Being the engineer I am, when I set up my car, I decided on similar wheel rates all around -- and I'm happy with it!

So, there is clearly a buffer of personal prefference here. You might be best to pick up a few pairs of springs with different rates and do some "trial by error". I'd be curious to know how your car feels with 450s on the front and 550s on the rear -- and then do a test with 650s on the rear!

Quick Reply: So, is inside front wheel lift inherent to the 944/968 chassis?